The unintended major project/surgery

Druro

Noel... stay outta my profile... wanker.
After talking with Noel, I figured it would b a good time to post up my Various projects... here is number 1.

Well, I bought my 1983 GS 1100ESD a couple winters ago, as an everyday/touring bike with some mild mods. Here is the pic of the bike when I bought it.

IM000264.jpg

Mods to Start:
Progressive Front/Rear Suspension
Braided Lines
Vintage Yoshi Pipe (love it)

After a little time looking at it, i realized the white/blue/black thing wasn't good, and i couldn't stand the fairing (buzzy as hell). So, a shopping trip later, we have a nice 8" headlight and stubby turn signals.

Bike.jpg

Just after this was completed, I had a lady turn left at an intersection as I was going through (her fault, i got fully paid by the insurance... but she got off free due to a technicality :mad:

So... the bike looked like this:

IMG_7949.jpg

Well, after some tears and such, we get to building, and finally we get this. I fired her up this afternoon and DAMN she sounds good.

DSCF0249.jpg

DSCF0248.jpg

Mods:
1993 GSXR 1100 Forks with Racetech Springs
1993 rear wheel assembly with 93 brake
Dynojet Stage 3 kit with K&N Pods
6-piston Hayabusa Calipers
Wave Rotors
Bandit 400 Gauges.

So, I'm inches from a test ride, just waiting to cut down the chain and get the finished spacers for the front wheel. I do think I need to work on the carbs to get them running right, but she'll be good to go real shortly.

So is it a coincidence that after getting nailed by an old lady driver that you seriously upgraded the brakes? ;)

Nice lookin' bike. Hope to see it in person soon.

Tintin said:
So is it a coincidence that after getting nailed by an old lady driver that you seriously upgraded the brakes? ;)

Nice lookin' bike. Hope to see it in person soon.

well... i figured it was a good idea :)

I really dig what you've done with that bike. I've got similar plans for the 83 GS750 Katana I've just picked up. What was involved with mounting that front end?

tobiism said:
I really dig what you've done with that bike. I've got similar plans for the 83 GS750 Katana I've just picked up. What was involved with mounting that front end?

Actually, it's stupid easy. It's basically unbolt old front end, bolt in new.... that's it. The only real item to adjust is the stops. To do this i mounted some bolts in the existing stops on the GSXR triple to make sure it didn't smack the tank. Other then that... nada. Just keep in mind that the forks+rim off the GSXR are far shorter then those on a GS (or Katana, in your case)

yep, Ive seen this bike in person too!!!...VERY NICE!!
I hate to bring this up but what was the technicality that the old lady was able to hide under?

Druro said:
Actually, it's stupid easy. It's basically unbolt old front end, bolt in new.... that's it. The only real item to adjust is the stops. To do this i mounted some bolts in the existing stops on the GSXR triple to make sure it didn't smack the tank. Other then that... nada. Just keep in mind that the forks+rim off the GSXR are far shorter then those on a GS (or Katana, in your case)

Wow, thats what I wanted to hear! I have never had a bike with anti-dive forks before, and really don't even want to mess with them, so I'd much rather swap to a cartridge front end. I don't mind the drop in front, as I'm looking to increase rake anyway. Have you measured your trail with that setup yet?
How well do your CV carbs like those pod filters?
What shocks are you running?
I'm currently on the lookout for a GS1100 motor, as it'd be an easy swap.

locOleoN said:
yep, Ive seen this bike in person too!!!...VERY NICE!!
I hate to bring this up but what was the technicality that the old lady was able to hide under?

Thanks Noel.

For the technicality... it was a case of some document wasn't signed by the officer. What really pissed me off in the end more then her getting off was that she was only charged with a failure to turn correctly. The prosecutor said she should have been charged with careless driving.

tobiism said:
Wow, thats what I wanted to hear! I have never had a bike with anti-dive forks before, and really don't even want to mess with them, so I'd much rather swap to a cartridge front end. I don't mind the drop in front, as I'm looking to increase rake anyway. Have you measured your trail with that setup yet?
How well do your CV carbs like those pod filters?
What shocks are you running?
I'm currently on the lookout for a GS1100 motor, as it'd be an easy swap.

As for the trail, I haven't checked this. This swap is VERY popular in the GS world (check out www.thegsresources.com).

I haven't really tested the carbs with the pods yet. The carbs do have a dynojet kit in them, setup for the pods/exhaust. It does response REALLY fast at idle, so I can't wait to really try it out.

The shocks are progressives. I don't know which model, but I'm going to be looking out for some cheap Works shocks or Ohlins.

Trust me, you'll LOVE the 1100 motor. It's not huge on horsepower, but it's got TONS of torque from 3k to redline.

Back
Top Bottom