1972 DS7 The Row Boat

Got Foam?

4" thick kayak seat foam. I cut out the inside so that it would sit down over the seat pan. It wasn't easy but I got it done. I think that I dig the way it came out and am glad that I decided to ditch the original fiberglass seat that I built.

Alright, I started to cover my seat and realized that my staples aren't going to cut in this fiberglass. They are holding it but I had to stop up front when they were not digging in far enough. I will probably go with some short self tapping screws and washers to hold it in place. So far so good on that.

I started on the new chambers this afternoon. I went ahead and just bought some pre bent tubing, I think this may help it to go a little faster. I'm going to try and knock out the cones this week if I get some free time after work. The set that I initially built just slid straight into the manifold and oozed burnt offerings so I changed it up and went with a two piece design. This way I can slip an oring in there to seal it off.

and the Daytona didn't last a week before I tore it to pieces. Lol.

Chris, at least I waited until it started to cool off a bit. My wife facepalmed me when she saw it in pieces.

VonYinzer said:
As much as you love rough assplay? I doubt it.

Seriously though Clem... Rad stuff. Keep at it.
I want to kick a cd in your mouth sideways

Beside the entertainnent thats going on, I welded the first diffuser. Gas welding is just so damn peaceful. I also discovered the trick of placing a small piece of angle iron on the front of the rollers to guide the cone through.That made rolling the cones a bit quicker.
20141108_203513_zpsdwlxonoz.jpg

Hey Clem, you are right about the gas welding I really enjoy an afternoon with the oxy-acetylene. Although a friend of mine just offered me a FREE Tig welder, big water cooled job too! Anyway the cones look good and yes the angle iron trick works well although sometimes I have to use a set of vice grips on the the small end of the cone.

John that sounds like a sweet deal for yourself! I have one done up to the belly. I may stop there and finish the rest of the cones done .
20141109_191758_zpseak09sen.jpg

Long? What do you recommend for a stock DS7 with RD350 carbs? I read the Jordan Gennings stuff awhile back and figured that I'd have a 50/50 shot of getting this right but hey my little tape measure with the flowers on it has both metric and imperial markings on them so that may reduce my chances.

Well it's that time again. Yep progress time. I figured after messing with this thing for almost two years now that I should make a push to actually finish it.
I went ahead and mounted the front turn signals, ebay special from an EX500, I think.

Work on the exhaust chambers went full tilt. I almost had them completed in one day but time ran out and I shut it down with the sunset.
So yeah I'm a little on the cheap side and try to use what I have laying around.

I can only imagine what a good torch could do.

I still have one more of those baffle cones to roll out. It's about 50% of the way there but those baffles are a beast of a cone to roll. I'll try to get the stingers done tomorrow also.

Next up is getting an oil tank built into the rear cowl, then hopefully I'm done with sparks and torches and grinders.......

I went ahead and got the last baffle cone done on Sunday. I also set the stinger flush with the end of the belly. I need to weld them in but I may wait until I get the silencers. I am looking at the TZ mike ones, they seem to be the best bang for your buck apart from the cheapo ones on ebay. I have to see how the Christmas money rolls first though. I purchased some flush mount flashers for the rear so hopefully I can get that knocked out soon.

What ID are they? My stingers are 22mm the TZ are 25mm which means that I wouldnt need to add them to the stinger length.
Is this ape a japanese bike?

Shoot me a pm with price picture social security number........well maybe not the social. Haha

Thanks Erskine. I wish my style was finished, I'd be a whole lot happier. Two years in and this was a slow process but I enjoyed watching it unfold and progress. Some things changed over time but that is part of what made it fun.
I've been thinking of going chappy red with the frame fender and tail section. Might actually turn out cool.

Back
Top Bottom