CB550 "Macaframa"

xtpx

Been Around the Block
Might as well get this build thread goin! So I've been building a '77 CB550 for a month or so now and do to tight cash from my college student budget I haven't been able to get any real work done until recently. She has 10xxx on the clock and has never been opened up. The bike was never really pushed either and was merely used as a highway cruiser by the p.o. She's never missed a oil change and has been extremely well maintained. Here's a list of stuff me and my buddies have gotten done so far in the tiny shed my bike is calling home at the moment...

-Cleaned the tabs off of the frame
-Made a tray out of some steal mesh for the electronics and battery
-Chopped the front off of the stock intake collector and covered it with some mesh to keep dirt out
-Picked up some new headers off ebay
-Made a custom seat pan and am working on the cover
-picked up a practically brand new gas tank from a '76 CB550
-Modded and shortened the stock rear shocks
-Fabbed up a tail light and license plate bracket
-Threw on some cheap moped clip-ons from tvland
-And made a mount for the speedo

I have a bunch of parts on the way and I have a tight time frame to get this thing done because me, the p.o., and a bunch of friends are all cruisin out to a bike meet called "The Smoke Out" in Rockingham, NC at the end of June. Therefore this thread will be getting quite a bit of updating.

Still have a little ways to go but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I will have more pictures up tomorrow when I get back to my place but I do have a picture as it sat a few days ago. The seat and fender are different now and the rebuilt shocks are back on.

Attachments

• SANY0068.JPG
    SANY0068.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 347
Re: CB550 "YOLO"

Seems pretty rad so far man. Keep it up. One question though... Where did you find find clip-ons from a moped that fit 35mm forks?

And have fun at the Smokeout. Havent made it out yet, but hear its a blast.

Because it's traveling through my town, spreading like a wildfire! Some girl came in to my place of work today and when she left she said, and i quote, "C'mon lets yolo guys". It's completely sarcastic in every way.

Clubmans for $25
https://www.treatland.tv/clubman-handlebars-drop-bars-7-8ths-moped-p/moped-handlebars-m-bars.htm

Clip ons for $26
https://www.treatland.tv/moped-chrome-clip-on-handlebars-p/moped-clip-on-bars.htm

If you're a diy'er like me and try to make the most out of everything you'll love these things! They're a pain in the arse to get set up right but once they're on theres nothin to em.

BTW Von Kirk, your sig is spot on. Nothing but chromed out choppers here in Wilmington. Best friends Dad has a 2100cc drag motor in his. So much power that when he pulled away from a stop light last week it sheered the bolts off of the rear sprocket that hold it onto the hub.

Clip ons for $26
https://www.treatland.tv/moped-chrome-clip-on-handlebars-p/moped-clip-on-bars.htm

These look like they will kill you. Spend good money on the things that stop you from dying. DIY is awesome, and I always recommend that mentality. BUT, those clip ons are DANGEROUS.

A quick EBay search shows a ton of options in the $70 range. Or post up in the "want to buy" section here. I bet a few mwmbers have a set lying arround they would sell you on the cheap.

Just please dont use the flimsy bars made for a 90lb moped with a top speed of 35mph on a 400lb motorcycle with a top speed of 100mph. It wont end well.

ditto on the clip-ons......
i would maybe consider using them on a bicycle

hella potential on that ride......
keep it coming

CB550 "YOLO"

I say no way on those clip ons. Shoot me a pm I can probably hook u up with a set that won't kill ya for decent coin...

Ive run at least three sets of the clipons Marc is referring to here, and know at least two others that use them with no issues. They are gravy man. Take him up on it.

xtpx said:
Because it's traveling through my town, spreading like a wildfire! Some girl came in to my place of work today and when she left she said, and i quote, "C'mon lets yolo guys". It's completely sarcastic in every way.

Clubmans for $25
https://www.treatland.tv/clubman-handlebars-drop-bars-7-8ths-moped-p/moped-handlebars-m-bars.htm

Clip ons for $26

If you're a diy'er like me and try to make the most out of everything you'll love these things! They're a pain in the arse to get set up right but once they're on theres nothin to em.
HAHAHAH Same shit in my city. Too funny.

xtpx said:
BTW Von Kirk, your sig is spot on. Nothing but chromed out choppers here in Wilmington. Best friends Dad has a 2100cc drag motor in his. So much power that when he pulled away from a stop light last week it sheered the bolts off of the rear sprocket that hold it onto the hub.
Thank's dude. Some old gnarly og cafe racer rider told me that a few months back and i loved it ever since

I'm just curious about how much they are cause I'm might have to just wait a minute and save because I don't think you guys understand how broke I am haha. I'll get a better set of bars though, no need to worry I'll do the smart thing and not argue with the pros here.

Completely agree with you. The bike is going to be inopperable for another week or 2 so I have some time. I saw these clip ons on a CM400 on here and thought if they worked for that guy they'd work for me but I really like those clip ons that marc's selling so those are next on my list of parts to buy!

Oh yeah that XS650 you're building is lookin mean!

CB550 "YOLO"

Swivel said:
Snookie in a vinyl bodice after a half bottle of Jagermeister on a wet hard floor

Struggling to visualise Swivel. Got any pics of that too?

CB550 "YOLO"

You're doing good work (minus the clip-ons), but I can't get behind the YOLO phrase. I've seen too many slinky ass hipster kids put that in 102pt font on some anonymous picture of a roaring tiger some shit for it to be cool. Personal, but I say change it. Is that really what you want to associate your garage built bike with? Name it something bad ass, like "Steak" or "Big Tits" then I'll be on your team.

Steak, big tits...classic. I could respect that. :)

LOL! The name is only a joke guys and it's pointless going on about these clip ons because new ones will be ordered by the end of next week.

To be honest I really dont have a name for it and yolo was the dumbest thing I could think of at the time that I started the thread. The CB will more than likely remain nameless until the build is over with. Names aren't the top of my priority at the moment lol

Back
Top Bottom