Cb360 Reassembly Help

So this happened.... I was riding and then I heard a clanking so I pulled in the clutch and hit the kill switch as fast as I could.... this breaks my heart.
can I use the least strong loctite on these things so they NEVER come out unless I want them to?
Cam gear destroyed, cam chain destroyed, cam chain tensioner arms destroyed. Does replacing the cam chain constitute removing entire top end? Or do I need to take everything including the jugs off?
I guess it could always be worse.. :)

Attachments

• 57983FE1-09AB-4CA7-80B4-487A226CF4A3.jpeg
    57983FE1-09AB-4CA7-80B4-487A226CF4A3.jpeg
    806.6 KB · Views: 154
  • A6784F86-CD62-4FAA-AD10-601670FC5DD7.jpeg
    A6784F86-CD62-4FAA-AD10-601670FC5DD7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 161
Well dagnabbit.

Seems a drop of purple locktite should do the trick.

I imagine a complete teardown would be in order and easy as any other approach. Gotta fit the chain around crankshaft.

Well that totally sucks ass. Just got it 'finished and it 'F***** up. :(
Tappet adjusters are adju8sters, you need to be able to loosen them. If they back off, they were either not tight or were too tight at some time and have damaged threads (very common) Loctite isn't really a good idea. Is the cam sprocket cracked? (looks like it is)

crazypj said:
Well that totally sucks ass. Just got it 'finished and it 'F***** up. :(
Tappet adjusters are adju8sters, you need to be able to loosen them. If they back off, they were either not tight or were too tight at some time and have damaged threads (very common) Loctite isn't really a good idea. Is the cam sprocket cracked? (looks like it is)

Even purple loctite? It’s made to be undone. But yes, when I said cam gear that’s what I meant. It’s wrecked, the tensioners are obliterated too, sorta funny to look at really.

I guess the plus side of doing all this work to get hear is that I can do it all over again in a fairly short amount of time haha. I’ll post some really good photos of the carnage once I get it all replaced.

Actually, You can leave the top end bolted together. Flip it over and split the cases. The cam chain is endless and the crank will need to be removed and the cam chain fit over it. Then put the crank back in, clean and re-seal the cases and torque them up.

Its actually not a bad job. I had to re-do mine for some reason, and I had it done in an afternoon.

The chain common motor sells comes unlinked, it’s the press fitting type, so I think I will go that route. Attach it to the old cam chain, pull them both through, then press the last link in. Unless..:: you guys don’t think that is the best chain for this

For your consideration:
https://www.common-motor.com/honda-360-cam-chain

Sounds great. Could be just the ticket.

I installed a heavy duty cb750 cam chain on my 360, took 3 masters before I got a peen I was happy with. Using a hammer and punch.

trek97 said:
Sounds great. Could be just the ticket.

I installed a heavy duty cb750 cam chain on my 360, took 3 masters before I got a peen I was happy with. Using a hammer and punch.

Do most cam chains work for these bikes? Example could I use a cb550 chain?

cb360j said:

Just confirm that the # of links are the same. When you count links on a chain each pin is a "link"

I prefer the endless type for a cam chain as you don't have to worry about peening and you just throw it in and forget about it forever.

I have a spare cb550 engine I could rip apart.... but the chain is only $40.. I think I will just buy it

cb360j said:
I've used CB750 'race' chain but it does need a few links cut off. ( iCB750 chain is same as CB 350 though so direct fit on 350)
advCo said:
Actually, You can leave the top end bolted together. Flip it over and split the cases. The cam chain is endless and the crank will need to be removed and the cam chain fit over it. Then put the crank back in, clean and re-seal the cases and torque them up.

Its actually not a bad job. I had to re-do mine for some reason, and I had it done in an afternoon.
Isn't possible to do it without stripping top end, connecting rods are one piece on 360.

For your viewing pleasure. Cam chain wasn't as ruined as I imagined, still had a few broken links. Tensioners are destroyed though. And the sprocket is bad. Highlighted where the damage was.

Attachments

• Carnage_LI.jpg
    Carnage_LI.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 648
Fully reassembled the engine last night. I got to the point of adjusting my valves and I noticed the engine was a little bit more difficult to turn over, and was "falling past" tdc way quicker.. if that makes sense. When rotating to left cylinder tdc and placing my finger over the spark plug hole it isn't making much compression. I will need to get a tester to verify. But when rotating through the intake stroke, it is not "sucking" as hard as it normally would on the left cylinder as well.

I am taking it back apart today after work. And it would make sense that if my valves were not adjusted properly then the compression could be off right? Just thought it was strange it was not "intaking" correctly either. I guess it isn't out of the question there could be a bent valve causing this?

cb360j said:
Fully reassembled the engine last night. I got to the point of adjusting my valves and I noticed the engine was a little bit more difficult to turn over, and was "falling past" tdc way quicker.. if that makes sense. When rotating to left cylinder tdc and placing my finger over the spark plug hole it isn't making much compression. I will need to get a tester to verify. But when rotating through the intake stroke, it is not "sucking" as hard as it normally would on the left cylinder as well.

I am taking it back apart today after work. And it would make sense that if my valves were not adjusted properly then the compression could be off right? Just thought it was strange it was not "intaking" correctly either. I guess it isn't out of the question there could be a bent valve causing this?

The tappet would have to be adjusted super tight in order to keep a valve open for the entire stroke, in theory. I don't even know if its possible to adjust it that far on a 360. You're 100% sure you have the cam timed correctly?

advCo said:
The tappet would have to be adjusted super tight in order to keep a valve open for the entire stroke, in theory. I don't even know if its possible to adjust it that far on a 360. You're 100% sure you have the cam timed correctly?

That was my first thought before I took the head off. Was to retime the cam, then try everything again.

cb360j said:
And then if it isnt fixed at that point.. take it all the way down lol.

Probably just pull the head. From what happened I find it unlikely you have a bent valve (hopefully not), but there's only one way to find out.

At least you're probably getting fast at tearing it down LOL

advCo said:
Probably just pull the head. From what happened I find it unlikely you have a bent valve (hopefully not), but there's only one way to find out.

At least you're probably getting fast at tearing it down LOL

Lol thats for sure! I swear I can pull the entire engine out in twenty minutes then have the bottom end taken off in another 20 or less. There was one day when I was replacing the kickstart shaft that I removed then stripped the bottom end 2 times in just a few hours. Then I had to again when I felt like it didn't feel right.. again.. And then there was the first time I took it out of the frame. And ive taken the top end apart at least 7 times. cb360s are the most labor intensive motorcycles I swear

Back
Top Bottom