Spraying aluminium side farings

azk404

Hello,

First time poster here and first time spraying as well.

I have some brand new Moto Guzzi V7 "brushed aluminium and anodised" side fairings I would like to spray matt black and want to check if I have the right idea on what I'm doing.

1. Wash the panels with soapy water, rinse well and allow to dry. Anything else here?
2. Sand the panels with a medium course stand paper or sand block to scuff the surface.
3. Spray panels 2-4 times with a self etching metal/aluminium primer.
4. Spray with matt black metal/aluminium spray as per can instructions.

Am I missing anything? I am still looking for the primer and spray so any suggestions would be very helpful.

Also, I'm in London, UK atm with temperatures around 12-15 although I do have a garage I could close up if needed during drying sessions. Will the temps lengthen drying times?

Cheers in advance.
E

I find it hard for paint to stick very well to smooth aluminium even with primer, I'd say good sanding is key, but otherwise you have the right idea, clear coat would help protect it but you'll loose the "matte" finish.

Another thing you might consider is wrapping, wrapping is not very difficult if you have heat gun or hairdryer and you can find some nice matte ones. Plus since it's a sticker, you can also go back to original paint.

You won't lose the matte finish, with matte clear.

Though, I second the wrapping option.

OK great. The panels are not that big so they should be easy enough to sand with a 400 grit sand maybe. Noted on the Matte clear coat.

I will look into the wrapping as I have seen examples which I would never of known the difference now that I think about it actually. Good to know as well incase the I do the spray and it messes up :D

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom