GS450 "Sport" - Done!

Re: GS450 "Sport" - Success!

haircuttergirl said:
You're the man, Big Rich. Lorrrrd of the Tempters and gs450's! Hellz yeah.

Quoted for many reasons......HA!

ben2go said:
Saddle bag mounts?You must be planning to take this thing on tour.

Yes sir. I'll be doing some longer trips on this, plus it'll be my daily beater. And wearing a backpack gets real old, real fast. :)

Speaking of bag mounts.....painted and mounted:

20130322_112256_zps4974d62a.jpg

Those look alright Rich, I should do something like that on the GL cause mine rub on the shocks etc.

Thanks Mike! With a rough test fit of the bags, they touch at 3 points - two of the bolts in the center of the bag mounts, and the upper shock mount. For right now I'm not seeing any problems, let's hope it stays that way.....

I considered another plate / brace as well. Something that bolted to the upper shock mount, bent out, and then bent down to cover the spring. But for now I'll see how sturdy this is without it.

Checked the bags with a proper fitment and had the seat on - so far so good. I might have to rearrange the straps a little to make them more secure, but I'll wait til it's not 26° out.......

20130322_210312_zps4c6448c5.jpg

Also worked on getting the auxiliary light mounted up. I'll still need to go thru all the wiring (fuse, relay, waterproof switch, etc). I checked the voltage at the battery with everything else on (highbeam, turn signals, brake lights) and it was showing around 14.6 volts at 5 grand. So one extra light running sporadically should be fine.....

20130322_210618_zps3eb9cfe4.jpg

These came in the mail the other day (thanks again Toast!):

20130323_111739_zps8972760b.jpg

They are only .25" longer than the stock shocks. And for some odd reason, I didn't take a picture of them installed.....

And worked on the fairing mounts as well.

20130324_040433_zps7f4d6695.jpg

I know they are tough to see, but I had to space the lower mount to the proper area for the headlight, and fab up some new upper mounts as well.

Since I plan on running the quarter fairing during the early season and longer trips, it did need repainted. Instead of trying to color match the red paint on the rest of the tins (which will be repainted when time / $ allows anyway), I sprayed it down with black appliance epoxy. Sorry about the weird glares coming from the lights in the garage:

20130324_064310_zps227b9b2b.jpg

Excellent stuff Rich!

I do like the saddlebag mounts.

I use throw overs on mine for the daily commute and they're handy, but I have to take them off at work as the bike gets left outside on the footpath.

I'm seriously contemplating a top box... most have a plate you can bolt to the carry rack...

Cheers Pete!

I have a tail bag that I can use as well, but it's made to fit to a sissy bar. It's actually tough to mount it without one, so I've been contemplating getting another tail bag that can buckle down around the seat. Maybe that would be a good alternative for you too?

Maybe... although the reason I'm looking at the top box is so I don't have to keep taking it off and on at work all the time. The bike sits outside on the footpath all day so anything easily removed needs to be taken into the office with me.

Also, the fact they have a secure plate that bolts to the existing carry rack makes it a little more handy to install I think... I'll wait and see what happens though... the guy who knocked me off *still* owes me money for hand guards and saddlebags!

Looking good Big Rich. Obviously coming in on the tail end but all these longer build threads are giving me lots of ideas.

Thanks man. No worries on coming in on the "tail end" - these kinds of projects are never truly finished.

Not a huge update, but definitely worth noting: I met up with the seller again today to get some small parts. Of course I rode the GS up so he could check it out and explain what all I did to it over winter. He gave me the original key (I've been using the semi-functional spare this entire time):

20130405_192156_zpsc778c286.jpg

I also got the original rubber trim for the fairing today as well, but didn't snap a picture of that....

Finally mounted and wired up the auxiliary light - along with an inline fuse and a relay that is switched by the low beam:

20130408_020602_zps33493878.jpg

It's certainly not the brightest light, but it should help get attention of other vehicles on the road:

20130408_020533_zps4b67003b.jpg

And it will be getting replaced in the future with something a little brighter / more energy efficient btw.

Was there a reason for the aux light? Near-accident while night riding, bad experience with cage drivers, etc.? Either way more lights will definitely help you get noticed, and I like the way it's got the same look as the engine.

No particular reason. Mostly just because this bike will be getting a LOT of miles put on it, and I know that a low mounted light makes it easier to spot in traffic.

Back
Top Bottom