1975 CL360 Cafe project (Completed for now!)

Re: 1975 CL360 Cafe project (Seat fabrication completed)

Battery tray in progress
003-6.jpg

005-3.jpg

008-7.jpg

What do you guys think?

Sweet i dig i dig,A+ . He most of been stoked on you handling some craftiness . Such a positive guy.
Your battery looks like it might get hit by your back tire when it bottoms out maybe weld a metal plate under the battery ,Also may be position the battery closer to the shock side. Hope that makes sense .

The tire won't hit, I removed the spring from a shock and put it back on there so the suspension would be bottomed out while I built the battery tray. There's at least a 1/2" of clearance.

smart thinking . Well you must consider how much you weigh , the flex of the frame ,and not to mention the speed you will be hitting a dip or a pot hole on the road at. I know there is no spring on your suspension right now,and that little bike is probably sitting perfectly still with that 1/2" clearance, butt as soon as the forces of gravity take place,i can almost guarantee it will most likely change that little bikes inertia. Not to even mention the swing arms motion of play. The fact is 1/2" of clearance isn't very much . Are you only going to run the two thin metal pieces supporting the battery ? I would still fab up a metal slab to keep that battery from being hit buy any kind of debris or sharp objects.
Cheers .i look forward to see what you come up with. seat looks great by the way

The seat turned out amazing. I'm digging the battery tray too. If you're worried about the battery some expanded sheet meal would offer some protection without welding a slab in there.

Hey thanks for the compliments and the advice guys, I'm really happy with my seat and the way the bikes turning out so far. The plan is to build and ride for summer then tear down for paint and body after summer.

I'll post some pics of the electronics tray tonight and hopefully get the battery tray finished up tonight or tomorrow and post some more pics.

Still have to make the wire harness, exhaust and a few other bits before it's rideable.

That seat came out really good man.

Battery tray and electrical tray completed.

002-6.jpg

014-4.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

LOOKS good. It even looks like you bowed your battery tray. just incase that tire does hit.

Wiring completed (still need a battery strap). Frame painted and muffler mounted to begin the process of building the 2-1 collector. That old ground cable by the air filters is not needed and will be removed.

006-6.jpg

009-6.jpg

Some beauty shots.

016-2.jpg

010-2.jpg

012-4.jpg

Just picked up that RD400 today, went halfs on it with my dad, $400 each (next project).
So what do you think about the way the CL is turning out guys?

Sorry to jack the thread, but a tip for Stript about that Harbor Freight welder.

You'll need to use some Lincoln .030 with it.

Check your wire feed mechanism. I too bought that welder. When I first got it, it made welds that looked like this with the Lincoln .030....

weldingexample.jpg

But after a few weeks, the wire feed mechanism stopped delivering wire smoothly, and the welds turned into exactly what you described.....bird shit. You can see the bird shit weld on the right.

I forgot to say in all that, great build so far, Aimsmall. I'm impressed and inspired by your rookie welding skills. And cute kid.

IndieSol said:
I forgot to say in all that, great build so far, Aimsmall. I'm impressed and inspired by your rookie welding skills. And cute kid.

Thanks man, I'm impressed and inspired by my little girl everyday :D , she's not even 2 yet and she loves motorcycles, riding them and as you can see, working on them with dad too. As for my welding skills, I feel like I'm learning quickly and have been really enjoying building this bike, it's a great experiance and when it's all done I'll have something I worked hard for that I can appreciate. Next is my RD400 8)

Good progress brother. I think you can say you have ben bitten buy the bug, already wanting your next build.
Indie yeah i returned the welder. Thanks for the heads up. I am just going to save some ends for a better welder.
Biggy smalls are you going to paint that flamer tank?

stript.714 o/c said:
Good progress brother. I think you can say you have ben bitten buy the bug, already wanting your next build.
Indie yeah i returned the welder. Thanks for the heads up. I am just going to save some ends for a better welder.
Biggy smalls are you going to paint that flamer tank?

I'm digging the tank, I think I'll leave it as is, as for the next build, the RD400 is sitting in my garage :)

sweet i am digging in to a kz 400 right now . i need new jugs ,valves pistons and its on . is your bike running? I uncoverd a nasty can of worms nothing you cant fix though . good luck. Ps that tank is on fire lol

stript.714 o/c said:
sweet i am digging in to a kz 400 right now . i need new jugs ,valves pistons and its on . is your bike running? I uncoverd a nasty can of worms nothing you cant fix though . good luck. Ps that tank is on fire lol

My RD400 was parked for 10 years. It ran when it was parked but it's going to need some work and I'll have my CL done so hopefully I wont feel rushed and I can take my time and do it right. Still not sure what I'm going to do with it exactly though.

It's nice to have a bike you can just flip the switch on and ride. I'm really digging the build here, man.

Bike is looking sick! Good stuff, good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom