1978 RD400 build

AimSmall

Been Around the Block
Ok so here she is just the way I brought her home. I just stumbled across this one and couldn't resist, it had been sitting in this guys garage for over 10 years collecting dust. He said he bought it in 79' and raced it for a lot of years after that. It's got electronic ignition and some better reeds, stiffer suspension, rear sets and clubman bars. There's a few other things on there too like the upgraded swingarm and a few other things I'm forgetting but there's also some damage/maintenance needs to go with it. The tank looks new inside, no rust and I'm very curious as to wether or not it would start with some fuel. I'll be buying some 2 stroke oil and tinkering this weekend and will update the thread as the build progresses.

003-4.jpg

004-6.jpg

Looks like you have scored agreat little gem there.

What are the plans for her resurrection?

Very cool AimSmall. She looks like shes taken just the right amount of ass kicking in her life. Time to bring her back around!

All you have to do is say RD and you get 9 replies. :D Congrats on your purchase. If she hasn't ran in a long time, I might consider a little premix to get things slippery and hold the oil pump wide open until she smokes nicely. If you're already a 2-stroke guru, my apologies. I've owned a 350, 400, and currently a 350LC. Just love these things. Loads of potential and I can't wait to follow your build.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I got it for $800 which my dad split with me (he wants 1/2 ownership of course). I'm not sure what the plan is just yet but I want it to be clean when I'm done, I plan on putting some DG pipes on it and building a seat like I did for the CL but other then that I'm not sure yet.

Back
Top Bottom