1988 CBR600 cafe---waiting for winter tear-down--riding it now!

Re: 1988 CBR600 cafe---color idea done, next up exhaust

DreadRock said:
I like where thats going man and go with nice pattern of speed holes on those plates. And the exhuast is very rad man ,is it part of both those pipes ? Only down side i see on the plate hanger is getting tire off when needed :eek:

Forgot to answer the pipe question. Nope, the Vance and Hines system is untouched, I'm going to trade for a friend's supertrapp....for another bike of mine.

I took the end of the Harley pipe, cut it about 4 inches up from the welds at the base of the can. Then I pulled out the baffling inside, cut the long pipe that ran the whole length of the can and re-cut the packing to fit the new can, hopefully it's not TOO loud, or I'll have to devise something else and cut this thing back open. So basically I cut the pipe, removed a bunch of the middle, and put it back together with the original packing.

Nicely done on the pipes and the taking tire off ! Would look cool to cut Honda wings into the those side plates for the plate holder ;D

If only I knew someone who did that kind of stuff...my time is very limited so I am only getting this thing up and running and will mess with all the cosmetics and fun stuff over the winter (pull engine and make it look nice) frame etc.

Got my new plate and should be ready to ride tomorrow if all goes well!

Cool man enjoy the ride ! ;D

mbb
This build is going great. Really impressed! Hope you get out on it cause it gives you new breathe to finish, or at least continue.

Red and white, what's not to love?

OH yeah! I made it home (15 miles) without too much of a problem. The gauge wasn't set to mph nor was it calibrated so I was constantly doing 200+ km/h !!!! haha.

Made a shotgun running light so that I could keep my tail light as my "stop" light. Here's a crummy cell phone pic of it in my garage at home. Changed out the chain last night, and going with 2 sizes larger on the jets as I wasn't satisfied with the fueling....Oh and got some bar end mirrors for it too.

Attachments

• 51 tail light.JPG
    51 tail light.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 311

Looking good. More pics. I like your license plate holder. How did you make that. I may copy you for mine.

I'll get some more pics asap. I found that I OVER tightened the damn master link on the chain so I'll be pulling that out and replacing...that link.

I made the tail thing because I didn't want to put the plate sideways like everyone does (no offense to anyone). I saw it on a bike a while back, and then on one of those new Ducati Diavels http://www.bikeexif.com/ducati-diavel

I don't have a single-sided swingarm :( So I didn't make it like that one. I put the second side and just tacked in a couple of thin gauge metal I had laying around. Took the dremel by hand and cut out the holes since my hole saws were only for wood...ask me how I know this...

Other than that, it's just 3/8" or 1/4" round bar welded to 1/2 flat bar, used the two mounting points, one near the rear and one up a bit more so that it wouldn't slip up or down and came out pretty well. I may change the speed holes in it during the winter. For now, it runs and drives!

I thought it looked like a Diavel. I like that look. I will probably end up building a small bracket and attaching the plate at the end of my seat subframe

100 miles on the bike. Got a clutch issue sorted and no more slippage! PO put new clutch plates in...but then put the pressure plates in backwards....gotta love a free fix!

Here she is today as I rode her to work.

Can't wait to tear into her this winter, for now she's a driver! 8) 8) 8)

Attachments

• 52 morepic.JPG
    52 morepic.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 321

Cool. Enjoy your work.

Never liked the rice rocket's but damn dude, that's gonna be a beast looking cafe racer (loving the license plate mount). The bonus is gonna be the fact its gonna be a speedy lil bastard. I'd say if your gonna be doing a lot over the winter tear down/ paint wise, give those red rims a fresh coat but give it some white accent's to go with the current paint job ( keep the red and white! there is wayyyyy too many bikes that are black (I'm one of em lol since i hate chrome.)

I hear ya. I'm thinking of doing a white wall on that rim, so it will be red in the center and part of the inner lip, then about half an inch of that lip to the outside lip being white. Can't wait. It just started acting up on me the other day...so I thought i would look at the spark plugs, they are not originals but boy were they rusty/crusty/ugly. Going to be fun going over it for the winter and taking my time. thanks for the kinds words, and yeah she is fast too! 8)

No problem man, Hehe yea...Giving that frame a nice fresh coat of paint will set the bike off. have you thought of an Engine colour or accent colour?

Not really yet. I'd like to verify mechanical integrity over the winter (valves etc.) and then probably keep the engine silver, possibly black...I figured I'd wait until I get it apart to figure out the true colors everything will be.

Back
Top Bottom