RD350 Plug Chop Opinions

raptormeat

Been Around the Block
photo_1.jpg

Left and right, respectively.
Looking at them now, i can see some brown, before they just looked grey. I believe they are a bit too rich still, yes?

Couple things...
The oil on the R/H threads I believe is due to the fact I helicoiled my plug threads on that cylinder, and had to use a very short reach insert, basically only the bottom half of the threads are in the helicoil insert, so I believe it to be 2T oil making its way through the threads under compression....OR it could be a leaking crank seal, my right exhaust does seem to smoke a little more than the left :-[

Secondly, the L/H plug fouled out at first and was reading way rich versus the R/H plug.
I replaced it mid-ride and ended home with this. It is still richer than the right, it looks.

WHAT could cause one side to be richer than the other?
Especially the left side?
Both carbs have the exact same settings at the moment.
5DP7/4th clip down, 190 mains, crossover, Dave mod, Uni and Y boot.

If it was a bad crank seal, I believe it would just suck in extra air instead of transmission oil...

so yeah, i will try 185s I believe.

Valve setting and seating. you say the carbs are set identically. You need to set carbs together as in at the same time with the same engine heat etc. but separately, each carb will need a slightly different screw setting. If the plugs are not at the same depth, that too will cause a completely different burn pattern. i think the plug on the right if it is still recessed in the head, the oilier deposits could partly be at fault there.

That gray plug is to lean, reminds me of the plug chops I was getting when I lost a crack seal and broke a rod. Be careful

too lean huh. well, i believe then, i experienced a seizure, not a fouled plug. :-[
it did seem the bike was continuously losing power instead of just instantly losing half.
will pull the barrels and give er a look.

Did you use an actual heli-coil on the plug thread?

A much better option is to use a "Time-Sert" made for plug holes. They come in different lengths so you get full perch. I've seen heli-coils actually wind their way in when a plug is installed and fall out inside the cylinder. It's a real whan that happens!

Example...
https://www.belmetric.com/ts42125-m12x125x175-spark-plug-insert-p-1600.html?zenid=loc2jevogdn9mve2uivbnufr75&gclid=CPqr5ouDrcECFQooaQod4YAADw

Back
Top Bottom