Oil drain cracks

karra91

Hi, just found out a fuuuuun thing bout my oil drain.. it has two "big" cracks..

Here it is:
WBZrxF.jpg

Do you think it can be repaired by cleaning away all the liquid metal and press it together then welding it together? Will call/visit different welders on friday when I have more spare time on the day but wanted to hear your opinions!

Thanks
/Karra91

It is possible yes.
It's an absolute bitch to weld though because the alum (pot metal) is full of oil. You will have to clean it thoroughly and then soak it in a strong solvent for a while before welding. Then you'll need to redrill and retap the hole.

Ouch, that wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear :(

Thought it was enough to just press the cracked part against the block and weld upon that (after thorough cleaning on the outside). Well, better get to work on the bike on friday! Thanks for input!

Don't know your experience level but that will require a skilled welder with a TIG to fix.

Maybe easier to just get a used bottom case. I'm assuming this in on your 400N? If so, the lower case is very easy to replace.

The job is going to be done by a skilled welder, mostly wondered about the pre-work - if I had to take down the engine or if you thought they could weld it as is but laying on the side and thoroughly cleaned.

Thanks for input/help!

Edit:
Yes, it's for my 400N, will check with scrapyards and the Swedish craigslist for that.
If I go for the weldering option I will show pictures here of how the welder did it.

Again, thanks for input!

It can be welded without disassembly, but machining the new threads without leaving chips in the crankcase will be all but impossible.

if it is clean it can be easily welded on its side,by a skilled tig man or woman and the chips will be VERY easy to flush out as well ,after all it is the
drain hole at the bottom of the sump, you can even use a shop vac ;) it is not rocket science

also coat the tap flutes with grease then back it out often clean and re-grease the tap flutes

the grease will hold the swarf as you cut the threads

a very trick, albeit more messy method to avoid chips 100% from ever getting in the case is to hook up an airline to the crankcase breather and introduce a low relatively gently air flow
if all that is open is the drain then the chips will shoot back out the hole as you tap the threads and any oil left in the crankcase will find its way as well lubing the cutting action of the tap, win win ;)

Thanks for all the tips, I was going to remove the motor this friday (2 days ago) but now I'm sick and the bike is in my parents garage.

I live in Stockholm, Sweden, you know the country that probably have a russian submarine in the
archipelago. :eek:

karra91 said:
Hi, just found out a fuuuuun thing bout my oil drain.. it has two "big" cracks..

Here it is:
WBZrxF.jpg

Do you think it can be repaired by cleaning away all the liquid metal and press it together then welding it together? Will call/visit different welders on friday when I have more spare time on the day but wanted to hear your opinions!

Thanks
/Karra91

Absolutely can be fixed! I had similar damage (almost identical) when I "bumped" ::) my bike against a curb. I found a very good/reputable welding shop in my area to take it to and was billed for 1 hour, mostly prep. That was almost two years ago now and havent had a single issue. Also, as long as the break is clean like mine was, threads should line up nice and neat and just need to be chased for peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom