Best exhaust for 1977 Honda cb750 four

mthoma27

Hey guys,
I'm brand new to the forum and just starting my first Cafe build. Its a 1977 honda cb750 four bone stock. I'm starting to order parts and have gotten stock on the exhaust. I've read that doing straight pipes will take away some horse power due to the lack of back pressure. I like the look of the Yoshi 4into1 but it seems pricey. I'd like to add horespower if possible and have it sound down right dirty. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks!

Carpy makes an exact rep of the Yosh, can't speak to quality as I haven't seen one in person. Cycle-X has a pretty slick one they call the Sidewinder, has a nice reverse meg cone on it. I picked up a NOS Jardine 4-1 and it rocks. If you scour eBay and craigslist you can find some good deals on old speed parts.

If it's bone stock 4-4 though, that might be about as good as you'll get performance-wise and probably worth a bit of $$$ if they're in good shape. Edit: as good as you'll get for a street ridden bike.

Do not, under any circumstances, remove your stock airbox in favor of pods unless you REALLY want to learn some very deep carb theory. Perfectly tuning that bike with pods is going to take a whole lot of homework.

Also, any SOHC CB750 exhaust will fit that bike, but the earlier bikes used a spigot mount exhaust and the (I believe) 74-up bikes used a stud mount, so you may need to switch mounting methods if you get an earlier set of pipes. Not a big deal to switch at all.

i would suggest you leave the airbox and exhaust stock, until you get it running and on the road with your cosmetic mods,then once on the road and in tune and running fine change the exhaust if you feel like it, but it should be the VERY LAST mod and not until you are familiar with the bike and how to give it a normal tune-up

coyote13 said:
Carpy makes an exact rep of the Yosh, can't speak to quality as I haven't seen one in person. Cycle-X has a pretty slick one they call the Sidewinder, has a nice reverse meg cone on it. I picked up a NOS Jardine 4-1 and it rocks. If you scour eBay and craigslist you can find some good deals on old speed parts.

If it's bone stock 4-4 though, that might be about as good as you'll get performance-wise and probably worth a bit of $$$ if they're in good shape. Edit: as good as you'll get for a street ridden bike.

Do not, under any circumstances, remove your stock airbox in favor of pods unless you REALLY want to learn some very deep carb theory. Perfectly tuning that bike with pods is going to take a whole lot of homework.

it has slide valve carbs so it is quite a bit easier to tune than a dohc with diaphragms
that said the airbox is the best way to go you can always open up the sound restriction a bit

yep and most put on small power sapping pods :-[,the large oval k&n's are fine but you still have a fair weather only bike with them
plus i hate the open triangle look,it is more worn out than a tranny's butthole
and it is such a waste of energy and time
besides the cb750 has great looking side covers

Back
Top Bottom