New Age Cafe Racer - Honda CB750 -79 from Finland

I ordered HEL Performance custom made steelbraided brake hoses and they look amazing 8)
I will upload some pics after we have testfitted them.

Engine is back in the frame! The job was actually pretty easy.

I cut original exhaust just to see how it looks. Pretty short one and the actual one is going to be custom made and little bit longer.

Summer 2018 coming in speed and summer is around the corner :p

We have been fighting with the headlight for a while... Any of headlight brackets I bought, didn't fit as I wanted, so we made ones by ourselves.
Lots of twisting, banging and forcing...

Result is good for me and finally they came perfect!

For my eye, Vrod-headlight looks spot on! I like it a lot!

Speedometer bracket was made from carbonfibre sheet. In pictures there is protectionfilm on cf, so it doesn't show clean and shine cf

When I bought GSX-R front end, start-button was broken. Hours and hours in internet and finally I ended the hunt. You can't buy just the button.
I borrowed unbroken button from my friends bike and forwarded it to 3D printing company. Next week I will see, how it ended up.

Part keep on coming. Latest purchase was new ignition coils, ignition wires and sparkplug cups.
These were last part of original electricsystem, so everything is now new.

I sended emails for custom made exhaust and now I'm just waiting for offers.
Also emails sended regarding upholstery for the seat.

Brakehoses has been ordered from HEL Performance and they will arrive in next week

Next one on the list is fabricating front fender. Ideas are all over my head and goal is to make it clean and tiny.

Still trying to think how will I put licenceplate. Finnish licenceplate is huge and I can't figured it out.

End of the last year, I decided that new deadline for my bike is 31th of January 2018, so it should be in Finlands biggest motorcycleshow in early february.
As you can see, I didn't make it, BUT I got a call from event organisator. They would still be happy if my bike can make it, even it is not ready...

So 2nd - 4th of february my bike is in the show.
It is not painted nor 100% finished, but still.

It gave me lots of motivation and there is so much going on right now

Start-button
As I wrote, I got start-button from a friend.

We scan it to 3D-model and after that printed it.
It came pretty good. Few minor grinding to do, but it works!

Original button

First version

Final version

Need to polish it and its good to go

Steeringstem
Way back I ordered steering stem adapter to fit GSXR front end to CB750 frame from Cognitomoto. Like they said, it is bolt-on.

Original GSXR stem in triple tree, next to new stem.

Just press the old one out and new one in

Here you go.

Part, parts and more parts
Almost everything has been ordered and delivered (I have said this thousand times :D)
Just arrived. New tires, blinkers, bolts and nuts...

Still to come: exhaust tips with removable silencers, front fender brackets, brakehose brackets...

Welding and grinding
Yesterday we welded few last things and just exhaust brackets and supportframe for carbs are still left.

Sidepanels grinded, rings for hoses and wires, swing arm spools/sliders bracket, grinded small piece from swing arm, that hit the engine.

Moved licenceplateholder closer to the wheel, extension to the seatpan, supportpiece to rear shock, brakehose bracket and moved side stand forward, because it was too close to shiftingrod.

Seat and exhaust

I have talked to upholstery who will make my seat complete. It will be done just after the motorcycleshow in february.

Also talked to man, who will make exhaustpipes for this bike in february.
Four invidual pipes from the engine. Two of those will join together on each side under the engine. Two silencers, one in each side will come out just under rear footpegs.
Pipes will be ceramic-coated.

Assembly of the bike is starting next week and then we are going work with rear cowl.

Now it looks like this project will finally finish before this summer 8)

We are now swapping front end with correct parts.

As you saw in my last post, stem is already in its place.
Yesterday we push bearing housing to the frame.

I ordered two silencers and they look like this:

Exhaust tips will come like this, but not that far:

Few questions to you readers

1) Enginepaint. What do you suggest, when bike is aircooled? What paint and how? Color should be semi-gloos black.

2) What options is for carburators if I want to get rid of original ones, as they are pain in my ass to get work right.
I would like to get list of carburators from another bikes and also aftermarket-carbs that would do the thing on my bike.

3) Front sprocket is on my searchlist. Below you can see original splined one. I would like to buy 15- or 16-spikes on 530-chain.
What bikes share the same splines? (VFR?).

4) Is the original front sprocket to chain 530 or to something else?
Has someone welded two sprockets together, to get some off-set?

5) What kind of setup on sprockets you run? I'm thinking 15/40. Is it okay to get some lower torque, but still runnable on highways without hitting revlimiter at 50mph?

6) Where can I order new VIN-plate for my bike?
Picture below.

You're flying through this build, my man. I love the shape of that Zephyr tank, just curious on that front angle drop.

Marcushyden said:
6) Where can I order new VIN-plate for my bike?
Picture below.

There are a couple outfits out of Switzerland and the Netherlands that produce and engrave VIN plates and sell them on eBay.

Coopacoopacoopa said:
That last exhaust picture you posted. AutoFabrica right? They build some great looking bikes. Love the project so far!
AutoFabrica builds amazing bikes! And yes, picture is one of their builds. Thanks! :)

irk miller said:
You're flying through this build, my man. I love the shape of that Zephyr tank, just curious on that front angle drop.
Thanks! Sorry for my understanding, but what do you mean about front angle drop?

irk miller said:
There are a couple outfits out of Switzerland and the Netherlands that produce and engrave VIN plates and sell them on eBay.
I just ordered VIN plate from Khneisser. If I remember correct, they are based in Switzerland

Marcushyden said:
Thanks! Sorry for my understanding, but what do you mean about front angle drop?

I just ordered VIN plate from Khneisser. If I remember correct, they are based in Switzerland

It may be just pics, but with the shorter front wheel that the GSXR front end has plus fitment, the tank drops pretty significantly at the front. It gives it an angle that doesn't match your frame and seat. More importantly, depending on where you petcock is located you may lose a significant volume of usable fuel space. If you draw a level line from the petcock forward, anything below that line will never reach the carb. Plus, many petcocks have two straws for fuel- one for normal operation and one for reserve. It's possible you'll have to switch your petcock to reserve with 1/3 tank left. I could be wrong, so I'm just offering food for thought. It's a situation I myself have had to adjust for in the past.

yleinen4.jpg

I wonder if Khneisser is the same company. The eBay username is different, but their location is Osagna, Switzerland. If you think they are the same company, please report how good the quality is. I need to have a plate remade for one of mine.

Today we put bike "together". Only 1,5 weeks to go before Finlands biggest motorcycle exhibition.
Lots of parts are now in place but fitment is something like "almost alright", if you now what I mean.

Front end not in its place, upper tripletree and speedometer is too high. Carbs are just hanging there and there is not enough room for middle airfilters.
Exhaust is not the one, which will finally be there. Shiftingrod is attached with zipties. Etc.

So we have less than two weeks to finalize as much of the parts as we can.
Main thing is to work on rear cowl to make bike look more ready and few carbonfibre parts has to fabricate.

Still here is few pics. Feeling much more satisfied when I look my project right now. Looking good for my eye 8)

If you are in Finland between 2nd to 4th of February, visit Exhibition Center in Helsinki ;)

irk miller said:
It may be just pics, but with the shorter front wheel that the GSXR front end has plus fitment, the tank drops pretty significantly at the front. It gives it an angle that doesn't match your frame and seat. More importantly, depending on where you petcock is located you may lose a significant volume of usable fuel space. If you draw a level line from the petcock forward, anything below that line will never reach the carb. Plus, many petcocks have two straws for fuel- one for normal operation and one for reserve. It's possible you'll have to switch your petcock to reserve with 1/3 tank left. I could be wrong, so I'm just offering food for thought. It's a situation I myself have had to adjust for in the past.

yleinen4.jpg

I wonder if Khneisser is the same company. The eBay username is different, but their location is Osagna, Switzerland. If you think they are the same company, please report how good the quality is. I need to have a plate remade for one of mine.

Good catch/notice!
I haven't thought about that...

Petcock is located exactly middle of the tank and from your notice, this might be a problem.
I will test that in future.

What comes to VIN plate, I just look at emails and it is the same company, located in Osagna.
I will write about quality of my new VIN plate when it arrives and get back to you :)

Great bike. I like the swing arm goes well with tank and forks, the vrod light is good too. Custom work takes time huh?

Marcushyden said:
VIN plate just came today!
Quality of the plate is very impressive!

If you are looking for a new VIN plate, I highly recommend this company 8)

http://www.khneisser.ch

This is a great find. ...and a great looking build you have going; I can't wait to see the finished product!

Maybe I should have said the Finnish-ed product? lol

irk miller said:
That's awesome. Turn-around time seems quick, too.
Plate came very quickly!

1fasgsxr said:
very nice looking machine !! :D
Thanks! :)

Integra99 said:
Looking good... excited to see where it goes!
I'm just starting to feel excited, because this build is now moving on in speed

Popeye SXM said:
Great bike. I like the swing arm goes well with tank and forks, the vrod light is good too. Custom work takes time huh?
I had lots of negative thoughts and swing arm confused my head in one point of this build. I didn't know do I like it or not :D
After assembly of the bike to this point, it now looks really good. Lines and shapes goes well with everything else, just like you said ;)

ZenMoto said:
This is a great find. ...and a great looking build you have going; I can't wait to see the finished product!

Maybe I should have said the Finnish-ed product? lol
;D ;D ;D Thanks!

WhyNot said:
Really looks good......

Nice job...

And thank you guys for leaving comments and questions!

Back
Top Bottom