Got my bike!

S.O.T.I.

So the decision was made for me (I was looking for a bike but had to put it on the back burner due to bills...) My sister and her boyfriend decided to get me an early Xmas/birthday gift!
It's a 1980 Yamaha XS850 with a mild (obvious and somewhat horrible) brat/cafe conversion. I've been riding it for about a week. It needs some work, but I cannot be happier! The dimensions are so very comfortable to me, so no big changes will be made there. I will be cleaning/sprucing it up as much as my budget allows, adding turn signals, and a few other small things (like a proper exhaust-the straight pipe is LOUD).

Glad you grabbed a bike man, and a running specimen is definitely a great place to start. Really, what you have there is about ideal. It runs and it's already been hacked, so your not destroying an original bike.

Also, sounds like your sisters boyfriend is a rad dude. Enjoy it, keep er between the stitches and dirty side down.

hurco550 said:
Glad you grabbed a bike man, and a running specimen is definitely a great place to start. Really, what you have there is about ideal. It runs and it's already been hacked, so your not destroying an original bike.

Also, sounds like your sisters boyfriend is a rad dude. Enjoy it, keep er between the stitches and dirty side down.
I was quite surprised. He's been with us for a long time now, so he's family, but still, this was a HUGE shock. It actually runs quite well for a 36 year old bike. I agree, that starting with a bike already hacked eases some apprehension.
My plans are:
A proper exhaust
a nice seat assembly
new tires (these are first)
turn signals
Then just clean and maintain it and ride it until I'm comfortable. There will be a full tear down when I'll make it MINE, but that is a bit down the road.

Nice! I'll admit to being partial to yellow, but there is something, ummm, "imaginative" to that scheme, isn't there? Still and all, it looks like a great start for you and there's lots of good there. Congratulations and welcome to DTT!

ridesolo said:
Nice! I'll admit to being partial to yellow, but there is something, ummm, "imaginative" to that scheme, isn't there? Still and all, it looks like a great start for you and there's lots of good there. Congratulations and welcome to DTT!

Thanks!
I'm about to go an clean her up a little bit (just a quick degrease on the engine).

So after a week or 2 getting to know her…
She has a small oil leak, I replaced the dry-rotted front tire (tyre?), the forks could use a hint (5lbs) of air, and I need to bleed the front brakes. The clutch handle was SUPER tight, so I ran some lube through it and after some use, it loosened up a bit. Still seems to take too much force to pull that handle back.

She's a lot heavier than I imagined, and a LOT heavier than I'm used to, but I'm quite new to this experience, so take that with a grain of salt. The longest run I've made is only 10-15 miles so far, and it's going to take some getting used to, but I am in HEAVEN. I don't think I could be happier with a machine than I am right now (until I get her done, that is).

I need to get a proper muffler. The exhaust right now is just straight pipe off the header with a washer welded in. She is LOUD. Other than a new muffler and changing the seat assembly, everything else will stay where it is (and of course I want to paint her). The stance is just about perfect, as is bar placement. It is very comfortable to ride.
All in all, I'm just thrilled!

Can anyone offer an opinion on this:
I need a muffler. This straight pipe is too loud. I found a 2 Brothers muffler currently on a CBR 1000 I can have for $50. It has a light scuff mark, but that doesn't bother me. What I don't know is will this muffler from a CBR 1000 be a good fit for my Yamaha XS850?

A lot of guys use a reverse cone shorty, but I like mine loud(neighbors too!) so I initially modified my 3-1 baffle and eventually ended up running open.

I almost forgot how much chrome/polished aluminum are on the stock Yami triples, good luck with your shafty.

Garc said:
A lot of guys use a reverse cone shorty, but I like mine loud(neighbors too!) so I initially modified my 3-1 baffle and eventually ended up running open.

I almost forgot how much chrome/polished aluminum are on the stock Yami triples, good luck with your shafty.

Yeah. My header does not look stock. Most XS850s I see have 2 mufflers, one on either side. This header collects down to one, with a bit of pipe on the end with a washer half-welded inside for "baffling". It's way too loud. Reverse cone shorty? I'll have to look that up. I'm just wondering if this 2 Brothers muffler would make me have to adjust everything.

S.O.T.I. said:
So the decision was made for me (I was looking for a bike but had to put it on the back burner due to bills...) My sister and her boyfriend decided to get me an early Xmas/birthday gift!
It's a 1980 Yamaha XS850 with a mild (obvious and somewhat horrible) brat/cafe conversion. I've been riding it for about a week. It needs some work, but I cannot be happier! The dimensions are so very comfortable to me, so no big changes will be made there. I will be cleaning/sprucing it up as much as my budget allows, adding turn signals, and a few other small things (like a proper exhaust-the straight pipe is LOUD).

Stiffen up the forks with a small fender and a fork brace. That looks like a fun machine, it's got one of Yamaha's best looking fuel tanks too.

Got a great deal on a much older Two Brothers exhaust. Not too happy about the shop's weld job, but I can clean it up. Sounds AMAZING.

15152467_10211651213176094_1235029015_o_zpsutfmxzlf.jpg

The Jimbonaut said:
Man that thing's gnarly! Love it =)

Thanks! I have to get a new headlight after taking a soft spill off road. I caught some gravel around the apex of a sharp turn when I swerved to avoid a possum. FML. I was able to ride it home though!

Holy crap - I did the same thing this summer on my V Star...came round a curve, hit gravel on the apex and took an unintentional off-road trip through the undergrowth. Kept the thing upright thank god, but at 60 mph it got the old ticker racing. Glad you're ok!

So I found a 1980 xs850 special being parted out and landed a replacement gauge cluster, front pegs and mounts, front fender and clutch cover. I still need a headlight, but I think I found one on Amazon of all places.
I also nabbed some factory side covers so I can go with a more traditional seat assembly. I am not a fan of the fiberglassed cardboard ensemble I was stuck with.

I am also in dire need of a sandblaster.

Back
Top Bottom