'72 CB350 Project: Georgia

interceptor

Coast to Coast
I've made alot of changes to my bike in the last month or so. I had it on the road and it ran pretty good, just didn't have that 'wow' factor. Here's the new direction I'm going:

Electronic's tray
new4.jpg

License plate holder I made. Yes, steel plate above tire will be cut to allow for tire :)
new2.jpg

New spokes, cleaned up my rim, new tire, cleaned shock and painted hub/drum
new3.jpg

Other side with semi polished sprocket
new1-1.jpg

Thanks to everyone for all your help throughout this build. Will post more later.

Re: '72 CB350: Project Money Pit

Wife went out for a bit, so I thought i would post a pic or two. I cut off some tabs on the top tripple tree and smoothed it out.
DSC01527.jpg

Added two idiot lights where the stock risers use to be. I took the reflectors out of 2 small mag lights, superglued them in place, superglued the lens' in after that, and then an oring on top that was also superglued in. On the underside, I superglued the stock rubber bushings in place, and then added two stock Honda lights (don't know what they came off of) by just pushing them in the holes in the bushings. Everything just fit in place. Didn't have to cut or modify the mag light parts at all :) Looks good and very bright.
new8.jpg

Re: '72 CB350: Project Money Pit

Thanks Lifeisgood. I've seen it somewhere before, but not sure where (maybe on Carpy's site). I had some extra parts at work laying around after a rebuild, and it just worked out :)

Re: '72 CB350 cafe project

Sometimes it seems like it's one step forward, 2 steps back. This is my second try at building a seat. First one I did a good job, but the rear portion of the seat was not symetrical from side to side, and it reall bugged me. But that's the way it is with these things. I remember reading about a guy awhile ago that made a seat out of a skateboard and I thought it was a great idea, so I called my buddy who's kid works at the local skate shop to see if he had any used boards. 1 hr later he comes to my door with one. Score!
I tore off all the old grip tape, sanded it down in some spots, fit it to length and cut the one end off. I almost threw that cut off piece away, but I thought maybe I could use it for a part of the seat. Check it out:
new9.jpg

For the seat pad, I'll be using some interlocking rubber mats that my kids use. We have them on the basement floor. One side is black and the other side is blue. So when I cut it, it will have a blue line all the way around the seat (black side up, sorry no pic) They are kind of spongy, but I don't think I could ride all day on it. Next week I'll be duraglassing the seat and building a transition in the front to the tank.
Turn signals, license plate lights, rearsets should all be here next week :)

Re: '72 CB350 Cafe Project

I've gotten a little bit done today. It's been so nice out today that I've been playing with the kids in the kids pool all day. I spent all day yesterday fly fishing in a tournament. I didn't do so well on catching fish, but I did win the casting contest. I won an all expenses paid outing to a local private sportsman club where we will be shooting at clay pigeons. Breakfast, lunch, cocktails and stogies provided :)
Ok, on to the bike. I've been trying to think what I want to do with my tank for a long time. I hammered in some knee dents but after looking at it for about a year, they were just too small. So I made them bigger. I really wanted to put some knee inserts (or grips/pads, I don't remember what they are called) but didn't know where to find some. But this morning while my son was running around with the mouse pad in his hand, it hit me. I'll just buy 2 mouse pads and glue them into place. I spent $7 for both of them, and I think they look pretty good. They are just rough cut right now and I will trim them after the tank is painted.

new13.jpg

After that I finished trimming my front fender.

new14.jpg

Re: '72 CB350 Cafe Project

Uggh, I'm so pissed. I just posted all the new pics with detail, and then I hit the Backspace button. Everything gone. So here's some updated progress:

new17.jpg

new15.jpg

Since I'm using clipons, all cables have to be shortened now. Buddy of mine says he can do them. We'll see. And still have to figure out where to put a brake switch on the brake perch. Big Rich or Von said that a CB175 cable has one built in. Did look into that, and that may be the way I go.

Re: '72 CB350 Project "Crunch Time"

Well, I put crunch time in there because I want to ride this thing the week of the Dream Cruise here in Michigan. So I need to step it up a notch :eek:
The seat went pretty well. It was not all the difficult, but just needed alot of patience, which I don't really have. But I made it through. Scroll up and you'll see what I started with. And now:

new18.jpg

There may be a few minor things to fix here and there, but over all it looks good.

Blinkers, plate lights, mirrors and rear sets all came in and are mounted in place. Next I'll work on the location of the battery.

Re: '72 CB350 Project: Crunch Time

Starting to look like something. Got the rearsets in, Thanks Kris! Exhaust is hooked up, and it works with the rearsets :) Still need to make a brake lever stop. I think I'm going to add a shoulder bolt in the rearset mounting bracket so the top of the lever hits it.
new19.jpg

new20.jpg

Looking real nice! Don't forget to put some air in that front tire :)

Did you modify the front fender brace? Looks really low compared to mine, like the look of yours better. Mine makes the fender sit way too high over the tire, going to have to modify the bracket to lower it a bit.

Erskine: Rectifier is a replaement unit. It's longer than it is tall, and your seeing the tall side :)

HerrDeacon: Thanks for the compliment! The front tire went flat just as soon as I came into my drive. Luckily it didn't happen 5 minutes before as I was going down the road :eek: . And the front fender is just laying on the tire. Just put it there to show what it looks like on the bike.

So I moved the bike to it's new home. Wife said it was taking up too much space in the garage. She said I could bring it home when it's done. But it's never done is it?
Anyways, I put a bolt in the rearset bracket for a brake lever stop, and I hooked up the brake switch which just attaches to the slot in the brake lever.
new21.jpg

This morning I finished up the battery tray, made the battery protector out of some thin gauge steel, painted and then added the DCC sticker.
new22.jpg

And I started fabbing up the transition piece. Right now there is a big gap between the seat and the tank. So this is what I came up with.
new23.jpg

Added 1 layer of bondo. Tomorrow I will sand smooth and fix any imperfections and paint.

Where did you get your replacement electrics (assuming they are all from the same place)?

Got everything from Phil at Phil's Cycle Shop, the "Doctor of Hondas". The number is 248-257-5084. (Waterford, Michigan)

Got the light in today. Looks like it will look perfect under the seat.
First I made a bracket out of an old license plate holder. To do it, I bent it to shape, welded on some mounting brackets and then installed on the seat. When I got the light today, I placed it on the new bracket I made and cut it to length and height and then painted it. Waiting for a day or two and then will mount light to the bracket and install. (Will have pics of it mounted tomorrow.) Here is the light bracket I made:

new26.jpg

And mounted to the seat:

new25.jpg

Re: '72 CB350 Project: Georgia on my mind

Yesterday I cut down and painted the rear light bracket that I fitted under my seat. Today, I installed the light strip on the bracket (light strip comes with double sided tape with an activator I rubbed on the bracket.) I also applied the first coat of paint to my seat.
new30.jpg

More pics:

new29.jpg

new31.jpg

I also finished up my forks. Fluids drained, stripped the paint off the fork tubes, and installed new seals. So glad I did it, and it really wasn't hard at all. I know some people had a hard time getting their seals out, mine came out in about 5 seconds. No problems at all :) (Lucky me I guess) i also hit the tops of the fork shafts with a sanding disc. (Very light sanding just to get the rust off.) After sanding I used some 400-600 grit paper to try to polish up. It really didn't polish up too much, but it helped a little. Looks alot better than before!

new28.jpg

Cleaned up some things in the cockpit:

new27.jpg

Back
Top Bottom