'73 CB350F [No Name Yet] First Build - getting started

ichitz

Hi everybody!
I got my first bike, a '74 CB350F, last year. Didn't get to do much to it as it is running pretty good and I need it for commutes, I didn't want to get into something that I'll mess up resulting in me not being able to go anywhere. It's my only mode of transportation after I moved to Cali.

Having no mechanical experience other than some bicycle wrenching, I thought I'ld find a non-operating bike under 250cc for cheaps and try to work it from the ground up to learn. After searching on craigslist for weeks, and as luck would have it, I found ANOTHER CB350F! So I figure why not. If I get confused on how to put it back together, I can stare at my other bike. Plus I already own the 350F manual ;D

Here she is sitting in my living room after just getting back from the seller.
P1040256.jpg

Been sitting for years. Cob webs and rust everywhere. 3 out of 4 spark plug wires broken..
P1040257.jpg

I also found 2 spiders living in the tray under the seat. Ick.. (I have a phobia of spiders)
I'm confident I'll find more of those little creatures once I tear it down. Luckily, engine does turn over. Not sure if it has compression, need to get my hands on a gauge.

There is no plan right now for this bike. The primary objective is to clean it up get it running first. Money is tight now, gonna try to go as cheap as possible.

And.... that's it. I'm gonna go arm myself against the Araneae with a stack of rolled paper and try to tear her down.

stuck oil plug?

Progress is slow, mainly because I started upholstering the seat for my other bike.

Went to drain the oil today to get ready to take the engine out and... the oil plug is stuck.
I tried spraying some wd-40 (it's the only thing close to penetrating oil i have of the moment) which I doubt it did much. Tapped it with a hammer in a few directions, wouldn't budge. I'm pretty lost on how to proceed and I don't want to strip a thread. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom