'72 R60/5 cafe makeover

Hankus

Just got this toaster from my uncle. She's about to get a cafe-itized. Ditching the Bing's and airbox for Mikuni's and K&N's. AM26 Roadrider's are on their way. Looking to replace rear suspension next. Might bump up the height from stock. Any good recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_1935.JPG
    IMG_1935.JPG
    796.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
    533.5 KB · Views: 202
Mufflers are a bit corroded. Looking into the reverse cone Megaphones. I like the Norton Commando style mufflers, but don't think they'll fit on the 1-1/2" OD headers..

Attachments

• IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    631.3 KB · Views: 193
Awesome to see another Airhead. I've got a 1975 R75/6 myself (stock).

Just stumbled across this guy's videos on YouTube, and they're fantastic - best I've ever seen for working on BMW's.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BavarianBomberWrench?feature=watch

Thanks man! I am definitely going to need some help on this, heheh. I know I'll get chastised for not leaving it stock, but I'm gonna save everything just in case I ever have a change of heart.

Went hard last night, so stayin in the shop tonight to work on the mold for my seat.. The blue masking tape is about the same color of the blue on the BMW logo..got me thinking it might be cool to use the same color for the cushion wrap.. Hopefully I won't fuck up on the fiberglass too much.
Also, ordered some new Hagon rear shocks, peashooter mufflers, chrome drag bars, dual cat-eye tail light. Will put pics up soon!

Attachments

• IMG_1961.JPG
    IMG_1961.JPG
    688.3 KB · Views: 192
I applaud you for making it your own. And that is one of the wierdest engine set ups I have ever seen. Go luck with your build

After a botched first attempt at fiberglassing, I went back to the drawing board and came up with a bit of a new design. I'm hoping to recess my taillight into it... Does anybody have any good tips on attachment for the seat once it's done? Kinda worried about how it'll all fit.. The BMW frames are tricky to mold a seat for.

Attachments

• IMG_1969.JPG
    IMG_1969.JPG
    669.3 KB · Views: 202
I appreciate the cafe spirit, I really do....I've built several of them...but man, make everything reversible for sure! I hate to see a toaster get hacked! I JUST finished restoring this one....

ebyma6e6.jpg

I've seen your project. Great work, it looks awesome. I am boxing up everything I have taken off of this bike and putting into storage, and am not doing any cutting or modifying. I know that further down the road I might have a change of heart...

Very cool man, that's a good plan. One recommendation and thing to keep I'm mind: I know you said you already ordered bars, but BMWs are tricky. They use 22mm bars and not 7/8. The stock controls can break off you try and force them on a 7/8 bar. You may have ordered the 22mm, I just know it'll cause issues if you aren't careful.

I had read about that... I did order 7/8. It's a little confusing because sometimes they list them as 22mm and 7/8 being the same. I've thought about just replacing the levers and controls and simplifying things, but not sure what will work. Know any sites that carry actual 22mm bars? Thanks for looking out.

Hagon Shocks came in. Bumped the height up just a hair longer than stock. Decently priced, and the lady who took my order was very friendly and helpful. Look forward to putting them on.

Attachments

• IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    639 KB · Views: 217
How long are those? Look looooong ;) Did you order them from Dave Quinn Motorcycles? I'm likely going to be ordering a set for my R75/6.

Back
Top Bottom