76 CB360, Cherry Bomb at Barber's

Re: 76 CB360, If you didnt like the red engine...LOL

Again, I for one think the bike and new engine scheme is damn cool. I have always digged this bike because of the style.

Getting a late start on a couple updates for spring.
New 7" headlight
aluminum coils

parts-1_zps7387809b.jpg

I need to find a new spot for the ignition switch. For the addition of new coils. I also want to cram flasher under tank.
I wasnt going to dig into the wiring this deep, but once I got started its hard to find a stopping point. So, I decided I am going to have to clean it up a bit.

wiremess_zps9fdfb3cc.jpg

and make some room for the headlight.

wiremessb_zpsf2169317.jpg

First thing I need to get the ignition sw moved out from under tank.

keyswitch_zps8f6567f5.jpg

I am going betwixed gauges on triple.

igswitcha_zpse132d95b.jpg

crammed it in to see if it would even fit.

igswitchb_zps67eca779.jpg

pulled the bracket I made to lower the gauges and w some cutting and bending its ready to try.

igswitchc_zpsb0e0f9b2.jpg

fits nice, snug and solid. doesnt rub triple or gauges. pleased.

igswitchd_zps30c63500.jpg

A quick sandblast and fresh black epoxy will be in order.

Then onto bracket for the coils.
had a length of square aluminum tube standing in the corner for years.

alumtube_zps05f53b23.jpg

used a hole saw and drill press at work.

coilbracketa_zps2c9a7c54.jpg

moreholes_zpseed49e08.jpg

cutdown_zps44f227bb.jpg

Then had Gary an iron worker buddy weld up deflectors on it.

weldedup_zps8eee1e62.jpg

I was going to polish it up w the coils...but thats just too much aluminum. So I think Im gonna blast it and epoxy black it...with the coils polished nice. It should be ok.

Im also thinking of blasting the chrome of that massive 7" bucket and black it also....

crazypj said:
Cool, at first I thought you painted on oil gushing out (it's just the way my mind works ;D )

LOL... I don't see how you get "painted on oil gushing out" but that's funny. It's not oil it's Texas Tea. :)

The new ignition switch location looks great!

Hey Trek that guy's XS650 is STILL sitting under a tarp two doors down. He has the carbs built and swears it will run with them back on but he's too frail to ride a bike anymore and is holding on to it till someone will love it as much as he does. Still only $400 last I heard.

AzHonda said:
Damn cool coil bracket!
MitchellSK said:
LOL... I don't see how you get "painted on oil gushing out" but that's funny. It's not oil it's Texas Tea. :)

The new ignition switch location looks great!

Thanks guys. I hope the coil bracket looks decent once I get it on. need to get this wiring cleaned up before I can get my buddy greg in here to do the welding on the tabs for it. Im not gonna weld it cause they will be somewhat visible. And my welds should never be seen by anyone.
Also, my only real concern w the new coil location is the heat radiating from the headers. But, Im thinkin w all the added air flow, they shouldnt get any more heat than the old coils crammed up under tank 5 inches above the headers.
If heat is an issue I may have to add some small heat shields. But thats no big deal.

Pretty Sweet! I like the coil mount, whre'd ya get the headlight?

frogman said:
Pretty Sweet! I like the coil mount, whre'd ya get the headlight?

thanks frog meister. headlight came from DCC...sandblasted all the chrome off the bucket this morning. that was a lot of chrome.

not much happened today.
got to spend a couple quality minutes w the sand blaster.

blasted_zps564ab70c.jpg

Is that the "british style" bucket from DCC? If so, it looks like the same one I have put on my 360 and current CL350. I love the looks of them and that there is more space to tuck all the wiring into.

Are they stainless coach bolts or are you going to grind off the letters and paint them?

crazypj said:
Are they stainless coach bolts or are you going to grind off the letters and paint them?

just cheapy ace hardware zinc carriage bolts...if i stumble across something nicer I will consider making a swap...but Im not doing any real searching.

and Yes the british style...but I dont know thats an accurate description. though pj may be able to help w that. maybe like the chinese buffet. chinese people have never heard of half that stuff they serve.

trek97 said:
just cheapy ace hardware zinc carriage bolts...if i stumble across something nicer I will consider making a swap...but Im not doing any real searching.

and Yes the british style...but I dont know thats an accurate description. though pj may be able to help w that. maybe like the chinese buffet. chinese people have never heard of half that stuff they serve.

Now that's funny right there....and true.

Yep, it is 'British/Lucas' style headlight
Many people unscrew the locking clip too far and have issues re-fitting rim to bowl.
It should be set so the clamp is just below inner edge and trapped between the downward pointing 'fingers'.
Check orientation as well, there is a long and a short end to clamp, the rolled edge of rim should be captured by whichever will give better clamping (bet you didn't know something so simple could be so 'complicated' ;D ;D )

the headlight also has a smaller bulb in it. is that some kind of daytime running light. So the halogen isnt drawing 3 amps form the system full time. if so, is it effective?

Yep, you can run sidelight/marker light at all times as it's usually a 5w bulb
In Britain they were recommended between twilight and darkness as early bikes only had 35~60 watt generators (then use dip beam when it got properly dark)

My new (old) right control has a good working headlight switch. I might just try it. 5 watt 0.4 amp draw has to be less taxing on the system than the 35 watt 2.9 amps. Leaving cleaner power for coils and charging.

Ever since the "raccoon incident" I do my best not to ride after dark anyways!

Got the new old controls installed this morning. another reason to go with clip ons. pulling wires is the easiest part of the swap. and I plan to pick up some Harbor freight shrink tube this afternoon. in case you were wondering bout the white tape...its all I could find at the time.

clipons_zpsfc6b0a33.jpg

stayed home from work today and made some progress.

harness is almost complete. used the 1/2 inch corrugated plastic tube.

corrtubea_zps6a6cd0c0.jpg

found some cool old school cloth 18 gauge stranded the other day at work. just the colors for the coils.

plasticotewires_zps34ce74b7.jpg

gave em a heavy coat of plasti dip spray clear. to help keep em clean and protected.

Clear_Plasti_Dip_Multipurpose_Rubber_Coating_zps2afb60f9.jpg

soaked em down w acetone and got the parts epoxied. turned out pretty nice....but

freshepoxya_zps7f42c43a.jpg

WTF got 3 fisheyes...right in the top of the friggin headlight...grrr. So after a couple days to dry...sand re-spray then a couple more days to dry.

fisheye_zps3a333497.jpg

Get er done! looks good buddy.;D

God i hope the weather's nice tomorrow i want to take mine for rip around the block. Frikken rain.:mad:

ARRRRRRRGH !!!!

patience_grasshopper_zpsf4a8bed1.jpg

3009935217_e3fa61247c_m_zpsd98e9b74.jpg

Well the damned thing "looked" ready. Got up this morning. The epoxy seemed good and dry (hung in front of garage heater all night.
So, I sanded down the WHOLE bucket w 220 then 400. Scrubbed it clean w alcohol. And gave it another shot.
WTF!!!
the Original fisheyes now smooth as glass, beautiful.
The friggin paint around it...wrinkles up...and then another smaller fisheye appears!!! @$*$&@$(#

The rest of the bucket...sanded and washed just like the top now w a fresh coat of epoxy....DOESNT WRINKLE. Just around the repair.

fixedheadlighta_zps1fbf09c8.jpg

Gonna blast the whole thing again and start over...MONDAY!

anyway on the up side.
I got the flasher mounted w a new small bracket, reusing the rubber thingy.
made a new wire thing to hold clutch, throttle cables, same as the original wire thing on tach cable.
Test fit tank. there is now tons of room for air to move through now. and its a breeze to pull on and off.

flasherbracket_zps85ef103c.jpg

cableclamp_zps7822abf7.jpg

tankfit_zpsd7cf79fc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom