66 Ducati 250

Around the time of my last post, I was recommended something called Rub n' Buff. Apparently, old airhead guys have been using it on their engines for longer than I've been alive to bring back the lust of the old weathered aluminum cases. So I ordered a $6 tube from Amazon. Oh the sheer joy and satisfaction this little tube elicits!

Here are some side by sides. See if you can spot the raw aluminum vs the Rub 'n Buff...
IMG_20160204_165508.jpg

IMG_20160204_165531.jpg

IMG_20160204_165543.jpg

IMG_20160204_182055.jpg

I even used it on the carb!
IMG_20160204_183010.jpg

IMG_20160204_183012.jpg

Forget painting! I can't wait to get back and finish the rest of the motor. The fins are quite time consuming, but I can't argue with the results! Incredible! ;D

a friend of mine thats into BMWs told me about that stuff as well. I never tried it but he says it makes cleaning the engine alot easier because all the pores are sealed.

What finish rub and buff did you order. When I went on their website he only thing that looks close is one they call pewter. Thanks. Rick

doc_rot said:
a friend of mine thats into BMWs told me about that stuff as well. I never tried it but he says it makes cleaning the engine alot easier because all the pores are sealed.

That's what I hear to and it makes sense.

45exmayor said:
What finish rub and buff did you order. When I went on their website he only thing that looks close is one they call pewter. Thanks. Rick

Yes, pewter is the color I ordered. There is a silver one also that matches a bright aluminum, but wouldn't be very good on engine cases.

SeekingZero said:
Around the time of my last post, I was recommended something called Rub n' Buff. Apparently, old airhead guys have been using it on their engines for longer than I've been alive to bring back the lust of the old weathered aluminum cases. So I ordered a $6 tube from Amazon. Oh the sheer joy and satisfaction this little tube elicits!

Cool! I hadn't heard of that stuff, I'll have to try it out.

This might not help (and it looks like you're done already anyway) but to clean up the cylinder on my 160 I chucked it up in a lathe, spun it (not fast) and used sheets of Scotchbrite to clean it up. Much easier than doing it all by hand though probably not an OSHA approved use of a lathe…

Exchanged your sidecovers for pre-polished ones, huh? That's cheating! ;-)

EDIT: I just checked out the link you provided about the kickstart spring fix. Surprise surprise, it uses pics of my 160 screw up as a warning to others! I'm still embarrassed by that… anyway, better to show others than to hide it and let them repeat my mistake I guess. I don't mind that they're there, it was just a surprise to see them.

Just had a read through this now. Man! I hope I can find an old Ducati some day! :) Its one of my dream builds. Looking awesome.

Thanks guys, glad you all are enjoying it. Until you guys can get your own Ducs, you'll just have to live vicariously through DesmoDog and I! ;D

DesmoDog said:
Cool! I hadn't heard of that stuff, I'll have to try it out.

This might not help (and it looks like you're done already anyway) but to clean up the cylinder on my 160 I chucked it up in a lathe, spun it (not fast) and used sheets of Scotchbrite to clean it up. Much easier than doing it all by hand though probably not an OSHA approved use of a lathe…

Exchanged your sidecovers for pre-polished ones, huh? That's cheating! ;-)

EDIT: I just checked out the link you provided about the kickstart spring fix. Surprise surprise, it uses pics of my 160 screw up as a warning to others! I'm still embarrassed by that… anyway, better to show others than to hide it and let them repeat my mistake I guess. I don't mind that they're there, it was just a surprise to see them.

Definitely try it out. For the cost, its worth just having it on hand! What I've learned from my previous builds is what I can do, what I want to do, and what I'm alright leaving others to do for me. Polishing is one of those things that falls into the latter category...

I knew that was a 160 in the pictures, I was thinking those photos looked familiar! Small internet huh?! Thanks for going through the headache so the rest of us can learn. That is predominantly one of the reason I take the time to post these builds.

More to come!

Alright, I have definitely been dropping the ball on updates again. Finally caught a little break this morning and decided to showcase the progress. I was able to source out the rest of the tin I needed and get everything ready for paint.
IMG_20160331_204712.jpg

I fixed and cleaned up the headlight bucket and also got around to brazing the tank to fill the pin holes along the seams. Then it was getting the tank cleaned out so I could seal it. I had it sit with CLR in it for over a week to let that do its magic and test the integrity after the brazing. Turns out that there was still a leak but it was seeping out of the back of the tank from no visible pinholes. So, back to the brazing on the tank underside. With that fixed, I put the POR15 gas tank sealer in and it has cured wonderfully!
IMG_20160402_114131.jpg

IMG_20160402_114141.jpg

The last step before the parts would visit the painter was test fitting the pieces. The rear fender was the only piece that need modification for the new holes for the registration bracket. The painter now has all of the bits that will get color and I should have them back in 4 weeks or so.
IMG_20160416_165347.jpg

IMG_20160416_165408.jpg

IMG_20160416_165359.jpg

IMG_20160416_165319.jpg

I also picked up all the parts from the polisher! While picking up the parts from the polisher, I also grabbed the de-laced rims to clean them up.
IMG_20160416_152413.jpg

IMG_20160416_153407.jpg

I did not have the center of the hubs polished so that I wouldn't have to maintain them and opted to use the silver leaf rub-n-buff on them instead. The outside of the hubs is polished, the first groove is the rub-n-buff wiped on, and the other grooves are the rub-n-buff before wiping. Incredible, it looks like its been polished! I am so ecstatic about how well this rub-n-buff stuff works!
IMG_20160417_183247.jpg

Of the bits from the polisher, most were the remaining engine pieces though I don't have any pictures of them all yet but I will soon enough. The next step is to button it up and maybe see if I can get it running! As it sits now:
IMG_20160331_200747.jpg

Moving right along!

Man that engine looks great. I swung by motoguild a month ago and used the tire changer there and saw your project. Nice work on the brazing.

Masking tape won't keep your mudguard on for long.
Flour and water is much better.
That engine wouldn't look out of place in an art gallery.
-

This is awesome. Great pics documenting the mods and everything, too. That engine is a thing of beauty. I'll have to look this up if I can ever get my hands on an old Duc' ::)

Can't wait to see what it looks like after paint.

Thanks for your comments guys! Doc_rot, you'll have to stop by sometime I'm there, though, until I can the pieces back from the painter, its just the engine to see. I'll be teaching a rebuild/restoration/cafe class at MotoGuild in the coming months, so if you're interested you'll have to get on their mailer.

I am excitedly awaiting paint, and stopped by the painter yesterday to snap some photos for research. He's getting everything prepped and is right on schedule!

I went to MotoGuild last night to see whether I would need to take the fork legs to the polisher or not. They looked to have been polished at one point...probably decades before I was born! Is the rub 'n buff that good?!
IMG_20160427_211938.jpg

Yes...yes it is!

IMG_20160427_213412.jpg

IMG_20160427_213439.jpg

This bike isn't going to be a show bike. Bikes were built to ride, and ridden this bike will be, so I'm not to worried that it 'could look better.' I also pulled out the rest of the polished pieces and stuck them on the motor. She's finally complete and a thing of beauty...I'm almost tempted to make a coffee table stand out of it...almost!

IMG_20160427_215839.jpg

IMG_20160427_215936.jpg

Stay tuned!

Stunning really. That rub-n-buff stuff looks like it works pretty well, too. Will definitely give it a shot on my next build. Hell, I might get some and use it to clean up the 360 since I half assed the polish job ;D

Before I order some, you mentioned you used pewter for the cases. What about for the front forks lowers there? Is that the 'bright aluminum' or still the pewter?

adventurco said:
Stunning really. That rub-n-buff stuff looks like it works pretty well, too. Will definitely give it a shot on my next build. Hell, I might get some and use it to clean up the 360 since I half assed the polish job ;D

Before I order some, you mentioned you used pewter for the cases. What about for the front forks lowers there? Is that the 'bright aluminum' or still the pewter?

Yes, the pewter is on the cases and the silver leaf is what I used on the forks and hubs that seems to polish out nicely.

I know I've been away for far too long but not a lot has changed in the last few weeks. I got a Flitz buff ball for my drill to get the wheels to a nice shine before I sent them to Motorcycle Wheel Works to have them laced with all stainless bits. Once I saw the remarkable difference that the buff ball made, I dug into my parts box to see what else I could shine up.
IMG_20160513_200115.jpg

IMG_20160513_213102.jpg

This is simply some Wizard's Metal polish and the buff ball. It's amazing how well everything is cleaning up with seemingly little effort. I cleaned up the rear Ceriani's as well and found the one of my springs is bent. Looks like the bike had taken a spill in a former life. I'm going to see if a local shop can get me some replacement springs.
IMG_20160429_203256.jpg

IMG_20160429_205309.jpg

I love the before and after shots. Incredibly satisfying. Between the Rub n' Buff and the Flitz ball, this project is a piece of cake!
IMG_20160429_215255.jpg

Currently, the wheels are laced and the tires have been mounted. I stopped by the painter's on Thursday and the frame bits in red are simply stunning. He is taking this project very seriously and becoming more OCD than I am! That is a great thing though and since the schedule for completion is at my whim, I'm not worried. ;) I should have a roller in a week or two.

Stay tuned for more!

you are doing fantastic work there as was said ealier you really should remove the swinger the bonus is getting it swinging nicely will improve the ride
the cerianis i can service them for you at a reasonable cost
and it needs to be doen even if they have had little use and aren't leaking, age sets in the seals are likely too dry and hard for much service
are you sure the shocks are straight? just spin the rods round and round and bent will be observed if so
the springs didn't get bent crashing they just took a set probably cheap quality some uneven heat treating
i have lots of springs suitable for those shocks some even in new black powder coat or even nos beauties
nothing real nice in chrome though
it would be wise to get a fresh pair of springs and ones correctly sprung for you

Back
Top Bottom