1971 SL350 Father & Son Project

Very cool. Glad to see your son shares your interest in bikes. I was very lucky to have a dad that introduced me to bikes and shared the passion with me. We just raced mx growing up so we only did maintenance and such. I wish we had our current passion for vintage iron back then, like we do now. We actually had one of those sl 350's we thought it was junk, looking back wish we had kept it. Enjoy these moments, I hear they grow up fast. What did your son think of the inspiration photo's? Keep it up.

overdraft said:
CB350's up to but not including the G model (so all the K# ones) the top triple sort of bolted down into the top of the fork. what you need if you want to just get going is a top triple from a CB360. that'll fit and have the usual pinch bolt arrangement you're looking for

Thanks for the tip. Unfrortunaly, it seems no one has one listed on ebay at the moment. But since we're not in a rush, I will just have to wait until one pops up. It's funny, because there is one for sale on ebay at the moment and it's all tore up and has pieces broken off it. There is no way we're just gonna get going at this point, the motor is all out and the more we tear into it the more sure we get that this is going to be a full on restoration, motor, frame, tank, wiring, wheels etc. Yeah this may take a while.

@Thompsonmx100: He liked the inspirations but he says he likes somethings from those bikes but rather have a cafe racer fiberglass seat. he is saving up to get a seat just like the one Hurley209 has on his CB. I told him I'd give him $10 for every A he gets in his report card. So far he is getting 5 or 6, we will see. He does however have a sense of what "he " wants on his bike. I really liked the dark green one and he did too, but he was quick to point out that thought it was nice, it wasn't quite his cup of tea. He pointed out that he would change that seat. I nodded in approval to let him know that he can do whatever he wants to his bike. I don't want to persuade him to build according to my taste.

While we were removing the engine, he pointed out that " this is not 350 cc's, it says 325cc on the block" I told him the rounded numbers up and that the bike would still have plenty of power. He frowns when he sees how this machine has been rigged to run on a farm for the past who knows how many years. We found mud in the carbs, and even after removing the carbs, found mud mixed with gas in the intake.

This is awesome on so many levels, I can't wait till I have a boy to do things like this. Best of luck to your boy, the little honda & yourself man!

By far one of the most unique builds on this site. Props to you for letting him work this into his own. And the same for him for having that kind of vision already.

I like! ;D

Did not get a chance to work on the SL350 this weekend. My son and I went on a road trip instead to pick up a CB450 for my next years project. We had a lot of fun and laughed a lot.
I upgraded the rectifier regulator on my 1973 TX650 today, with the help of my son. My walking ability is sorta limited due to a knee surgery I had 3 weeks ago.

Here is what we picked up yesterday. 7 hour road trip.
IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

Sweet adventure. I liked the picture going under the bridge with the freight train going over.

overdraft said:

Thanks overdraft, but we decided to go another route and we got a set of forks and triples from a 71 CB350. You know, the one with the Coils on the outside?

I can't believe it's been almost a full month since we did any progress on this, but I had been realy busy with other work.
Today we toiled for a couple of hours and mocked the cb350 forks and stripped everything else off at the end.

Next in line is get the seat my son wants, mock it up. cut the frame were needed, prep it and get it powder coated.
IMG_3124.jpg

The forks we will be using,

IMG_3125.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

A little more work and the frame wil be ready for powder coating.

Don't worry too much about how long between progress. Time spent staring at the bike planning your next move is just as good. Especially when you're both doing the planning.

Alrigth guys, we are definetly slowing down over here for a bit. With winter and all and not having a garage.... We were going to get the frame inspected this tuesday due to the tittle being from out of state. But it snowed quite a bit here today. For NC anything more than 3" of snow and the town shuts down. :eek: No biggie, we will hopefully go wednesday if anything, they just need to check that the frame vin #matches the tittle being submitted, and the bike does not have to be running. This one is in pieces of course, but I have to bring everything we have..

My son had really good grades so far, has helped around the house a lot, and also with his baby sister who is 1 1/2 years old. Ever since my knee surgery and my wife's shoulder surgery it has been hard to keep up with the house and everyday routines. So he has been a tremendous help and I wanted to get him something special for his project to show him my appreciation.. This Christmas was very good for him I think. Check out the photos.
IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

and the seat he has been wanting since he first saw Hurley's bike ::)
IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

Merry Christmas DTT!!

mannn thats cool!

my own dad always showed me his way... hes a carpenter.

i hate dust... i learned most all of his skill (still have scars on hands from learning to carve at 6 years old), but i rarely do anything with wood (besides turn a piece on the lathe every so often)...worked out ok in the end... he builds all the wood stuff in the house (and saves tons of money doing it himself!) and then i save him money by fixing his bike and truck! ...though i do have to admit i have a bad habit of causing things to break as much as i fix ;D ;D

awesome to see you guys share a passion! must drive the mother crazy ;D

Back
Top Bottom