Juggernaut XS750 "Antichrome"

Re: Juggernaut XS750 Cafe Racer

Pics of the stuff I painted includes: The final drive, Speedo (tach looks the same), and switch disassembly.

Final Drive 1
DSC_0023.jpg

Final Drive 2
DSC_0022.jpg

Speedo Front
DSC_0019.jpg

Speedo Side
DSC_0020.jpg

Speedo Back
DSC_0021.jpg

Here are some pics of the switch after I put it back together, test, then reference to put back together again. I have painted and clear coated it. Looks about perfect. Could almost pass for NOS.

Labels 1
DSC_0012.jpg

Labels 2
DSC_0013.jpg

Inside Bottom
DSC_0015.jpg

Inside Top
DSC_0018.jpg

Painted and lookin' purdy
DSC_0024.jpg

Sexy
DSC_0025.jpg

I decided to steal the headlight on/off wired and connector from the right hand controls. Then the drilling will commence when a nice shallow button/switch can be found and mounted next to the high/low switch. $60 saved if it all works out.

*edit
These are the colors I like. The red is similar for the frame and the blue will be used for the seat and tank.

20100809143512103.jpg

Thanks. I broke all the painting rules and hope it all works. I did back to back coats. Then when the final paint coat was almost dry I hit it with clear. I'm going to be drilling another hole in it for a switch.

Those colors are gonna be hot man, very Captain America/Evel Knievel. All the painted bits look great.

Thanks Crescent. I can't imagine how awesome your bike is going to look when it finished. So HURRY UP! I'm kind of nervous about the colors. Hopefully it won't be too much. I think the darker colors will all fit nicely.

Electrical people needed: I'm hopefully adding a switch a to the left hand controls. The wire running to the old switch seemed beefy at 10-12 gauge. Can I add a small weak switch with a relay or is it possible to just run the switch w/o the relay. I can't imagine that much power goes into the headlight.

How do I solve for current? 12-14V headlight will be consuming 35-55W

P=VI

P/V=I

55W/12V=4.58A
55W/14V=3.92A

Is that correct? I would look for a switch what can support 5A

Hey Juggs! Hey guys! *does the bikers salute* ;D

Nice to see your progress man. Those fork legs came up a treat! Nice work bro. I just picked up a 1976 XS750.. had to bring up to Bris from Melbourne... like someone else said.. it's getting hard to find these triples here in Oz :( I picked mine up for $300! Mostly complete minus seat and ducktail. Nowhere near even contemplating the rebuild yet. Although, I'm probably going to use it for the Deus Ex Mechina build-off this year... a trifle better than the SR185 rigid I rocked up with last year LOL. In the meantime, gotta finish this XS250 cafe.. and then finish the SR185 that I chopped in half.. again. THEN.. I'll get to the XS750... but I guess by now you worked out the problem with the fuel taps right? There's no off... and if the bike sits for ages, the fuel runs through, trickles past the pistons and ends up in the sump. And then there's the issues with the primary chain... it eats itself very quickly. In case you hadn't heard.

But dude, your work is seriously looking good. I'm mucho impressed. Keep it up bro. Looking forward to seeing this thing done. ;)

ldordai said:
yeah, the bike came with a 3-1 header, so I'm just going to run a shorty muffler off that. If you were talking about the rearsets, I'm still waiting for the engine to come back from PC before I can assemble it and put it in the frame to find out what i need shift/brake arm wise.

You powder coated the engine? :eek: How's that going to be with heat exchange?

There are high temp powder coatings. The engine itself shouldn't be over 500*F, I believe.

Thanks for the good words. I've done my homework for this bike. It should look pretty good for my first build.

Juggernaut said:
There are high temp powder coatings. The engine itself shouldn't be over 500*F, I believe.

Thanks for the good words. I've done my homework for this bike. It should look pretty good for my first build.

Hey mate ;) good to know.. and yeah, it's easy to see you've done your homework! :)
My concern about the p/c on the engine, wasn't neccessarily about the paint coming off from the high temps, it was more about the engine being air cooled and needing good heat exchange through the case/barrels for cooling, was concerned that the p/c might hinder that, the same way that in the custom industry we never ever chrome the case or the barrels or the head... the heat can't escape through conduction to the air outside, and so the motor gets super hot. Wasn't sure if powder coat would do this, as it's a bit thicker than regular VHT enamel ???

Rocker said:
Hey mate ;) good to know.. and yeah, it's easy to see you've done your homework! :)
My concern about the p/c on the engine, wasn't neccessarily about the paint coming off from the high temps, it was more about the engine being air cooled and needing good heat exchange through the case/barrels for cooling, was concerned that the p/c might hinder that, the same way that in the custom industry we never ever chrome the case or the barrels or the head... the heat can't escape through conduction to the air outside, and so the motor gets super hot. Wasn't sure if powder coat would do this, as it's a bit thicker than regular VHT enamel ???

Haha i think i was the one who posted that, and yes, I did a bit of homework before I decided to PC the engine. I'm using a high temp engine specific PC, which is not only formulated to take the heat of the engine, but also lays on much thinner than a standard PC, so it won't hinder the heat transfer.

Ahhhh... cool. I was not aware of these engine specific p/coats! Well.. I learnt something ;) LOL. That's good mate. Glad you're on it. I think you're going to do just fine. You've got the research part down pat from what I can gather... and that's the most important thing. Keep up the good work Juggs. Can't wait to see the finished product! :)

I heard P/C is more sinsitive to oil and other petroleum base products. If I'm wrong let me know. I would really like to see it P/Ced.

Thanks guys. Right now the project is stagnant pending funds so much left to do.

- Alternator side engine oil seal
- Pull the lower steering bearing (really need guidance on this one)
- Rebuild Calipers and get new pistons
- SS Brake Lines
- Cafe seat
- Mount idiot lights and key switch in bucket
- Get a kill switch and headlight switch combo.
- Need drive shaft boot (impossible to find new)
- install steering bearings and swing arm bearings
- Order LED's and signals and new headlight
- Weld 3-3 exhaust and get mufflers
- Paint frame, seat and tank
- Get manual petcocks
- new rear shocks
- I think I'm going to keep the stock foot controls until I can get everything mounted.

I have decided against powder coating. It's not the cheapest route and I would hate to grind some off to weld/mount other parts.

That is still a massive list but could be done rather quickly. The first priority is the suspension, bearings and painting the frame to at least make it a roller.

I haven't named the beast yet but the unofficial title so far is "No Chrome". I may even put fork gaiters to eliminate the that chrome as well.

Juggernaut said:
Thanks guys. Right now the project is stagnant pending funds so much left to do.

- Alternator side engine oil seal
- Pull the lower steering bearing (really need guidance on this one)
- Rebuild Calipers and get new pistons
- SS Brake Lines
- Cafe seat
- Mount idiot lights and key switch in bucket
- Get a kill switch and headlight switch combo.
- Need drive shaft boot (impossible to find new)
- install steering bearings and swing arm bearings
- Order LED's and signals and new headlight
- Weld 3-3 exhaust and get mufflers
- Paint frame, seat and tank
- Get manual petcocks
- new rear shocks
- I think I'm going to keep the stock foot controls until I can get everything mounted.

I have decided against powder coating. It's not the cheapest route and I would hate to grind some off to weld/mount other parts.

That is still a massive list but could be done rather quickly. The first priority is the suspension, bearings and painting the frame to at least make it a roller.

I haven't named the beast yet but the unofficial title so far is "No Chrome". I may even put fork gaiters to eliminate the that chrome as well.

hmmm.. my procedure for removing the bottom headstem bearing is called Justin... "Just-in-case"... it's a 20mm round solid piece of steel rod.. and big f**k-off hammer... gently tap down thru the top.... by gently I mean smash it ;D

Nice. You think a big socket and extension would work the same? There are 2 notches directly opposite each other with perfect indents for a screwdriver. I can not get the angle good enough to land a big enough blow from the BFH.

Yesterday I made a swing arm bearing race puller:

- 5lb disk weight
- sacrificed threaded rod from a two jaw puller
- ground down washer
- threaded bar from above puller

It was a pain in the ass to trim the washer as it could go in but not come out without excessive force. After 4 trial fittings, anger, and threat made to said washer did it finally come out. Now I need to repaint a portion of the swing arm. Oh well, it was great therapy.

Juggernaut said:
Nice. You think a big socket and extension would work the same? There are 2 notches directly opposite each other with perfect indents for a screwdriver. I can not get the angle good enough to land a big enough blow from the BFH.

Yesterday I made a swing arm bearing race puller:

- 5lb disk weight
- sacrificed threaded rod from a two jaw puller
- ground down washer
- threaded bar from above puller

It was a pain in the ass to trim the washer as it could go in but not come out without excessive force. After 4 trial fittings, anger, and threat made to said washer did it finally come out. Now I need to repaint a portion of the swing arm. Oh well, it was great therapy.

When in doubt... a socket and a bar and a big hammer.... seriously.. the socket will do the job.. as long as it's close to the bearing diameter without getting caught in the neck... then a pivoting extention bar... and I mean this.. gently.. tap it out with the f**k off hammer. Or as we like to call it.. the lazy mechaincs tool

...... fixes everything.. as we would all know by now if we all watched Top Gear LOL... *say in hispanic Ricky Ricardo voice* "Jezza... you got some 'splaining to do..." ;D

OR

a bit of steel pipe... bigger than the inner race of the bearing.... Than a piece of 4x2" wood scrap... than smash it with the hammer. When it doubt... hammer-time LOL :eek:

p.s. liked your swing arm race puller... very handy.. in fact, when armageddon comes.. you can come live in my village... between the two of us we can rule this world BWUHAHAHAHAHA.. *evil laugh* ;D

I figured out where to mount my key switch today. It is the best butchering job to date. I drilled several small holes then used a a cut off wheel, pliers, and a screwdriver to enlarge the hole along with many precision grinds to "clean up" the mess. It look pretty damn good and is held on there well. I had absolutely no room to spare and got it right the first time.

Keyswitchmounted.jpg

KeySwitchCloseupSide.jpg

KeySwitchMouintedClose.jpg

TopView1.jpg

TopView2.jpg

FrontView.jpg

The organized disaster
BuildersWorkbench.jpg

I need to repaint it yet. The idiot lights will be mounted in the headlight bucket when I figure out the ideal placement for them.

The frame is officially painted! In the next couple of weeks will be new shocks, and bearings to make it a roller and get the engine mounted. The swing arm boot does not exist as a new unit and I really don't want to use an old, used one from the bay.

2011-05-12130429.jpg

2011-05-12130355.jpg

The color is Duplicolor Toreador Red. Getting the swing arm, boot and engine to mate up is going to be a pain in the ass.

OHHHH! That ignition mount is pretty slick! I may have to steal that idea...

Back
Top Bottom