RD350 Road Racer, She is Finally coming along. NEW PICS

Re: RD350 Cafe/Road Racer - First Build - Will probably need lots of help

To answer some of your questions.

Yes I plan on "trying" to do the build for under $2000. Trying is the keyword. ;D Since I have never done a build before, I might be completely underestimating the cost, but I'll do my best.
The RD350 is titled in my name with a matching engine and frame. Odometer reads 7k but who knows, if it was switched out once upon a time, lot's of things obviously were. I really love this RD350 for some reason, I was offered almost 5 times what I paid for it, and I politely declined. Like I mentioned earlier, this was the first bike I got ever got running and it has a special place in my heart.

My "parts" bike is an '77 RD400 engine in a '71 R5 frame. It is a bit of a Frankenstein bike, with no title. The guy had RD350 DG heads on it, when i went to pick it up, but wanted an extra $300 for them, so I took the Daytona heads instead. I am actually going back to buy them today, if he will lower his price an extra $100, to see if they are better than the ones on my current 350, and then sell the other pair.

So far I have a little less than $1,500 invested between the 2 bikes. My plan is to sell parts I don't need along the way or trade parts to get what I need to finish the 350. I think that I can recuperate at least $1,000 from the parts I don't use. However if I exceed my budget, or don't make much money back, it's not the end of the world, and on my next build I will have a better idea of what to expect.

So far I plan on taking:
The coils
Swingarm
Forks
Rear Wheel (Off of an XS650 with BRAND SPANKING NEW Dunlop K70's)
Front Wheel (Not sure the bike, but it too has a new(er) tire with 90% tread)
Seat (hopefully I can lose some of the padding, and switch it to LED or something)
Steering Dampener
Rearsets
Chambers (if they fit or trade them for ones that do)
Maybe the clip-ons

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I am sure there is more.

Teazer your absolutely right about my build being slightly gaudy. However as this is my first build, and I really want to do something different, so I am OK with it. :D I don't plan on making this a daily driver, and I also usually don't do much to attract the police. I chose this build because I find it extremely aesthetic, and I know I could spend hours staring at it. I have an XS650 that I will build next and that one will be more of a simple Brat/cafe that I will ride more often.

I just finished my Basic Motorcycle/Repair course, and in February I start my Engine Rebuild course. So I plan on going through my 350 engine, and making it like new again.

I also was just talking to Brad last night about putting a disc on the front, however I don't want to worry about it until I get a little further along in my build, but it is on my list of things to do!

You guys have all been very helpful,

Lucas

I got these from the guy I bought the 400 off of. I will see if these are in better condition than the ones on my RD350 and sell the other pair.

Build cost to date:
$1700

I need to start selling stuff soon.

Go buy a cheap set of these

Attachments

• Pic_14.jpg
    Pic_14.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 275

Thought I would add a small update.

Again like I mentioned before this is my first time doing anything like this so I am VERY slow.

I finally got the engine out, it was a pain in the ass. Luckily I had my girlfriend there to help me. It took me a good 4 hours and I had to make 2 trips to pick up tools that I didn't have. (Yes brad I bought some calipers)

I put her to work ;D

FINALLY it's out

I couldn't get the triple tree off though. :mad:

Also another update. My friend who builds a quite a few 2stroke show bikes, offered me a vintage 1970's BSA full race fairing. I think I am going to pick it up, and see how it looks/fits. He also has the windscreen for it. What do you think?

Sorry the photos aren't very good.

Hmmm... Would have to see the fairing on the bike. Being for a BSA, it may look a tad off. Plus, if you plan on using it for a street bike you'll have to cut it up for a headlight so keep that in mind.

Letterbox fairing for a lowboy North framed triple. Nice. It's fairly wide to fit around a BSA/Triumph triple motor but can look good on the right bike.

I went and looked at the fairing but decided to pass on it.

I still prefer a quarter fairing

Great start to very cool build

Just sold the carbs off my donor bike, build cost is back down to $1500 :D

I am shopping for tanks, and I'm not sure if I can afford that beautiful custom tank in my inspiration photo :'(

But I am looking at other tanks, to see if I can find something similar (so far nothing yet), but I'm not sure how to figure out what will fit on my bike or not.

Should I just measure the underside of my tank, and ask for the measurements from the seller and try and get as close as possible?

Help and tips are appreciated!

Thought I would add a small update from last night. Finished taking the RD350 apart, except the forks, and my next step is buying an angle grinder to start cutting tabs off.

I ordered this spanner wrench on Amazon, and it worked like a charm! Also doubled as a bottle opener.

I put the Spec ii chambers off the 400 on my 350, and they seem to fit OK. They don't mount flush in the back and are off about 30 degrees or so.

I also want to meet the asshole who drilled a bunch of holes in the side cover, and slap him. I found all sorts of mud/muck/leaves/twigs after I took it off. I guess he was trying to make it lighter, but only ended up replacing the metal weight with mud. I forgot to take a photo, but there was more than an inch of it under the front sprocket.

Also put my slave girlfriend to work, taking the heads off. ;D

I was VERY happy to see how nice and clean it was under the heads

I pulled one of the jugs off too to have a look at the rest of the piston. Looks like it has new rings.

Here are some of the parts I have removed. I don't have much room to put stuff :-[

Now I am going to go pick up an angle grinder to clean up the frame, and buy some paint for it. I also need to decide which heads I am going to use and sell the other 2 to help pay for a new gas tank, and cowl.

Fyi you can't measure the bores with a caliper because the top part of the bore doesn't get worn so you get a false reading. The bores have recently been honed though for sure.

Pistons are marked 100 which means 1.00 mm oversized and that works out to 65.0mm.

Thanks guys, what if I measure from the bottom of the jugs?

Appreciate the help

RD350 Cafe/Road Racer - First Build - Will probably need lots of help

Think you need a proper bore gauge Mr_Dunev unfortunately.

Cylinder-bore.jpg

neevo said:
Think you need a proper bore gauge Mr_Dunev unfortunately.

Cylinder-bore.jpg

That's what you need!

Too bad you're in Cali. I have multiple bore gauges at work.

Haha thanks guys!

Unfortunately I dont think I can afford one right now. I am picking up an angle grinder tonight and $100 in RD parts

It's coming along man. Looking forward to what it comes to.

GF/wife labor is underrated.

I went and picked up some RD parts from CL. Money spent to date $1600...

It was a helluva deal.

Back
Top Bottom