1980 KZ 440 Project

c_loughridge

I was hesitant to post pics and progress of my project due to the fact that at age 43, this is my very first motorcycle. Also I know very little about bikes. Then I got to thinking that maybe someone else may come along with a similar build and be able to learn from my mistakes..lol.

My dad was able to snatch up this bike for free from an older gentleman that had bought it new in 81. It had sit outside covered up for several years because he couldn't get it running. My dad being the wheeler dealer that he is thought that at the very least he could make a couple hundred dollars off of it. He began to tell me over breakfast one day that he got it and the more he talked about it the more interested I became. I've always wanted a bike but never really had an opportunity to purchase one. So when my dad said he'd sell it to me for $100 I jumped on it. I figure for the price it will be a fun project regardless if it comes out looking and running like a turd.

I knew I wanted to customize the bike but had a hard time deciding which direction to go. I'm not a huge fan of the flat seat and clubman type handlebars so I've decided to shorten rear seat and go with a simple "Street" series bars.

Here are pics of the progresss far. I hope to learn something along the way. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    706 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2132.JPG
    IMG_2132.JPG
    398.2 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_2230.JPG
    IMG_2230.JPG
    864.7 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_2271.JPG
    IMG_2271.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_2294.JPG
    IMG_2294.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 271
Re: 1981 KZ 440 Project

11th Hour intake? I'm using one of those on my project, but it's one of the side-intake models.

Threw the tires and tank on. Can't decide if gun metal (like the covers) or red would look best for the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_2398.JPG
    IMG_2398.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 251
  • IMG_2397.JPG
    IMG_2397.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 251

Well it fired up last night. Can't wait to button it up and take it for a ride.

https://youtu.be/BslV7_NQUO0

The main jet is a 130 and the pilot jet is a 25. I haven't taken it out for a spin yet so things could change.

Just an update. Things are moving slow, but moving. Since my last post I cleaned and wrapped the exhaust and restored the original gauges. I'm still not sure what to do about the rear fender. Leave it, shorten it or just remove it.

Attachments

• IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1114.JPG
    IMG_1114.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 235
  • gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 234

c_loughridge said:
Just an update. Things are moving slow, but moving. Since my last post I cleaned and wrapped the exhaust and restored the original gauges. I'm still not sure what to do about the rear fender. Leave it, shorten it or just remove it.

Shortening it would look good. Take about that last 4 inches off.

canyoncarver said:
Shortening it would look good. Take about that last 4 inches off.

I agree. It looks ok now, but I think once you have a seat on there it might look better with a shorter fender.

I really like the way it's all coming together. Looks great.

Looks good :) If it was my bike i'd leave the tank as is and fit a tracker style seat/tail unit, would look great imho 8)

Supergyro said:
Did you have the frame and wheels powdered, or is it paint? Looks sharp.

Just painted. Powder coating would've been the better choice I'm sure. Hopefully the paint will hold up though. Thanks.

Looks great man! Everyone has to start somewhere, and you look to have started off well!

Definitely keep some rear fender. Instead of cutting what you have, rotate it forward so it can do it's intended job and keep gunk off of your carb/engine. And while were on fenders, put the front one back on. If you've been reading threads here you've likely seen people explain how the fender acts as a brace for the front forks, keeping them from "flexing" or twisting while riding. If you don't like the look of the fender, at least remove the mounting brace (usually just spot welded or riveted on) and use it. Paint it black and you won't even know it's there.

Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming!!!

VonYinzer said:
Looks great man! Everyone has to start somewhere, and you look to have started off well!

Definitely keep some rear fender. Instead of cutting what you have, rotate it forward so it can do it's intended job and keep gunk off of your carb/engine. And while were on fenders, put the front one back on. If you've been reading threads here you've likely seen people explain how the fender acts as a brace for the front forks, keeping them from "flexing" or twisting while riding. If you don't like the look of the fender, at least remove the mounting brace (usually just spot welded or riveted on) and use it. Paint it black and you won't even know it's there.

Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming!!!

Thanks Von, I'm definitely going to give your advice a try. I'm hoping I don't run out of talent when it comes to getting the fenders to look right.

Back
Top Bottom