CB360 Cafe

That's pretty weird about the diaphragm, glad it worked out though.
I tried to buy some, out of stock until May

Greg-NWO: Thanks!

crazypj: Yeah very weird. So glad he is sending out a new one. He did say he was out of stock but just happened to find one in a drawer. Lucked out.

Update: Been doing some tedious work, mostly cleaning and such... Also ordered some new parts here and there.

I was cleaning the rotor and found what look like some pieces missing out of it? If you read back, my starter was destroyed internally, so I found a replacement. I don't know what would've caused this damage to the rotor though, and if I this is a sign for more damage elsewhere. I'm just kinda going over everything as I come to it, looking for damage. I bought a replacement (still haven't opened the box) and just will have a go at getting this old one off. So far, the bolt isn't budging, but I haven't really spent too much time trying.

Untitled.jpg

Also took the rear wheel off and decided to take it to a tire shop rather then trying to take off the rear tire myself and getting frustrated. So far that's the only work I've outsourced for this and it cost me all of $10 to have them wrestle with that old one for 15 minutes. Money well spent.

Also was able to drill out the bearing retainer "pins" and fashioned a tool to get the old retainer out. Took the wheel back to the tire shop to see if they could just pull the old bearings out since I have new ones. They didn't have a puller small enough? I might try tapping them out myself or taking it to another shop. I have since wire brushed the rim to get all of the rust off that i could from the inside and out. Actually cleaned up better then I thought it would, and I don't mind it showing some age...

ef6917f9.jpg

fc28a27a.jpg

3f2c728e.jpg

83abfb40.jpg

I have been cleaning up the top end of this motor a LOT. They cylinder is from 1 engine and the head and cover were from another (plus the bottom end being the only original part of the engine) so I didn't want them looking like they were because they all have different levels of oxidation and age on them. The head and cover were cleared at some point (maybe original clear?) and the cylinder had none, so I wanted them all looking uniform. Worked a lot to get the old clear off or sanded and all of the parts cleaned. Also polished the tappet covers, the rotor cover, the oil dipstick, and the points cover... Just to give it a little contrast and shine. I think it's starting to look really good and is finally giving me some sense of accomplishment besides just having parts laying around...

ecbb5039.jpg

c6c9c919.jpg

48e0a492.jpg

My velocity stacks arrived as well... Couldn't resist the temptation to put things in place to see how it will look. It's all been in my head for so long that It's really nice to see it all together...

3cf59912.jpg

I always like before/after pictures but have forgotten to take very many of individual pieces... So here is one of the tappet's before:

9558eb10.jpg

And the rotor cover during wet sanding:

171848ab.jpg

And after:

c6d0d8fe.jpg

Engine before just for comparison:

2714550b.png

I will note that I did clear a lot of my engine parts, but have since gone back over them with a light sanding and respray... The reason is because after oven curing at maybe 200 for 15-20 minutes, they did yellow a bit. Not much, but it was noticeable... I used the Duplicolor engine 500 degree ceramic clear crapola... So it wasn't even close to 1/2 of the paint's capacity and it looked like all of my parts had been in a smokey bar for a few years.... Just tea stained. Was very disappointed because they looked SOOO good & shiny before and I liked having the extra protection on the paint. Oh well... I was worried about that problem in the future and am glad I'm redoing it now while it's torn apart and I'm in the groove.

541b073a.jpg

All the alternator rotors look like that, not damaged, nothing missing

crazypj: Here are some photos just to be clear of what I'm talking about. To me it looks like there are some breaks in the metal, but also please note that this is the first time I've ever seen one in person so I'm just trying to be sure of what I'm looking at. Thanks for any help.

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Same pic I posted earlier...
Untitled-2.jpg

I'd say its busted, probably from someone trying to use the wrong puller to get it off.

This auction ha a few decent pictures of what it should look like...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB360-CB-360-FLYWHEEL-MAGNETO-ROTOR-/380392829071?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58912df08f&vxp=mtr

Yep, thems bits busted off
I didn't look close enough the first time, red dots outlining problem help a lot.
Most likely the starter clutch failed at some time
The outer steel shell will 'bulge' when it happens and cause the cast locating lip on rotor to break off.
It may be a good idea to get a rotor puller and check the bolts are tight, they are a bit of a PITA to torque properly and do come loose
It's real rare for rotor to get damaged, I guess you got 'lucky'
As long as starter clutch is located central it won't be a problem
If you want to swap it for an undamaged one, just pay shipping both ways.
I machine the backs when I remove starter clutch so don't need the lip
CB360modifiedgeneratorrotor.jpg

Thanks all for the help and the offers. Very awesome forum and people. I had actually ordered a new one but hadn't received it yet to compare. I did that immediately upon finding the broken one just so I'd have it on hand. I'll be ordering a puller as soon as I figure out which size I need. I think it's 16mm but I want to be sure before I do... Thanks again for your help.

I spent some time today just polishing up the rear wheel finally and lacing up the new spokes. The polishing took some time, but isn't perfect... It passes the 10 foot test though. I'm going to have to find a place that can true it up and mount the new tire I have, as well as just have them pull the old bearings and put in the new ones.

Before
fc28a27a.jpg

After
f1b132fc.jpg

Wow Prospector, I just scanned through this thread.
That motor was a horror story, I can't fathom how someone would abuse a motor to such an extent. Props on all the work you've done so far, I'm looking forward to the final product.

Rude.: Thanks man. It's nice rereading some of the things I've done already and it's then that I realize I'm actually making progress. Many times it feels like 2 steps forward, 1 step back... I'm trying to do a little bit every day, but I work really slowly... :-\

Amen man, this oldschool mechanic shit can be a heartbreaker. Keep at it though, the day will come when you finally kick it over an hear her fire up.

Rude.: Seriously... Speaking of...

Finally decided to crack the cases today to replace the oil seals (since I have a kit of new ones) as well as to paint the cases. This way I could also check it to make sure that nothing else was damaged. Well, found one of the pieces from the alternator rotor in there... I think there were 2 pieces missing, but I couldn't find any other shards...

I did however find a chip missing out of the 6th gear on the transmission main shaft. It's part #20 below, just to reference.

I just don't know if it's bad enough to really need to replace it? I've never dealt with anything like this and am not sure what would happen if I ran it like this? I'd hate for more to chip or for the gear to bind or something... Anyone have any insight? Just a quick look on eBay and I could buy the entire transmission gear set for around $35... Not bad for piece of mind. I couldn't find the chip anywhere in the case and everything else looks just fine.

94ae8aea.jpg

4a7a84d3.jpg

9a51a763.jpg

Yep, that's bad enough to need replacing,it would suck to have tooth break off and lock transmission

crazypj: Yeah, I was thinking the same things. I put in an order for a new transmission: $34 shipped. Doesn't seem too bad. The closer I looked at the 6th gear on the counter shaft today, I saw some wear and tear on it too. Better safe then sorry and easy to replace since it's already apart. Thanks for looking!

Hi Prospector. Great work on the bike so far. I'm glad to hear you're going to replace the gears as I was going to say you would be MAD not to, with that broken tooth along with the fact that you're this far pulled apart anyway. AND you've got replacement for only $35! Just make sure the replacement gears and shafts are better than yours!

BTW, the 360 rear axle bolt makes a great rotor puller, actually works on several Honda twin models.

Back
Top Bottom