CB360 Cafe

ducatiboy: Thanks brother! Yeah definitely glad I split the cases and inspected everything... Should've known I was going to find some broken things in there too... That's been the way with this engine, so it really doesn't faze me anymore. As for the decals, they are 1960's Honda Wings and I got them from xtreemdecals.com. I'll put the link below. They're the ones on the bottom of the page and I know they are expensive at $49, but they are really well made... I love them. Another idea I had (since I'm going for a 70's Paul Smart Ducati inspired look) was to have someone design the old Ducati white with black outline letters, but have it be HONDA...? I've never seen one like that but thought it might be cool looking. I dunno... But I also didn't wanna be "Ducati-wannabe-guy" either... :)

http://www.xtreemedecals.com/default.tpl?cart=133636312711864256&id1=170&id2=181&startat=1&--woSECTIONSdatarq=181&--SECTIONSword=ww1

frogman: Awesome tip, thank you! I'll have to try that. As it sits, loosening that bolt with the engine out is difficult to say the least... Might actually do that job when I have the engine mounted again and can use the rear brake to lock the crank, because I've even tried the "penny in the gears" trick and that didn't work. Just ended up chewing up the pennies... :-\ So, I'll see what I can do, but thanks again for the advice. Very appreciated.

Update: Today was a big day for me... Finished cleaning the bottom case last night and woke up today and started prepping and painting it. Then did the top case (was already mostly clean and definitely wasn't as bad as the bottom). Baked them both and they came out great, I think. That should be it for cleaning and painting engine parts. Was dreading doing those cases, but I'm so glad I did since I came across other issues inside and they turned out looking awesome. Just glad they're done. Couldn't help mocking some things up just to see how it's looking. Very exciting day for me. :)

3f9b0a90.jpg

ba3c03a4.jpg

a7ec3e7a.jpg

297cfed7.jpg

19b2da61.jpg

2fd74099.jpg

Before:
b3f60a31.jpg

After:
12b97aaf.jpg

d55180f8.jpg

Whilst strolling through this thread, I was literally making noises to myself, and saying things like, "oh yeah, thats it. yes. mmmm."

I'm pretty sure my coworkers don't need anymore convincing that I'm crazy.

Paint looks good! Its amazing what some elbow grease and some time can do right? ;D

cafematty said:
Kinda starting to hate this build.. How do I unsubscribe?

Please tell me this is sarcasm because this thing is amazing.

alexmac said:
I am definitely feeling engine envy too.

Lately, he's just been texting these pics to me.. Usually while I'm out in the garage messing with mine.. It's a little harsh..

Fox said:
Please tell me this is sarcasm because this thing is amazing.

Of course.. Justin's attention to detail is top-notch.. I'm proud Dallas get's to claim him... Almost makes up for our football team.

...and I got them from xtreemdecals.com. I'll put the link below.

Thanks for the link. I've put my order in for a pair with gold detail :) Not cheap!!

Looking awesome. I think you forgot to install your transmission though... just sayin'.

cafematty said:
Lately, he's just been texting these pics to me.. Usually while I'm out in the garage messing with mine.. It's a little harsh..

Of course.. Justin's attention to detail is top-notch.. I'm proud Dallas get's to claim him... Almost makes up for our football team.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA

Very nice work Prospector! Theres some great info in this thread for those of us who haven't as of yet dove into the inner workings of a motor like these. Keep it up. I can't wait to see the video of the first ride and to hear how she sounds now that half the motor is new :D

Thank you all for the encouragement. :) Still have a LOT to do... (Wiring, exhaust, rearsets, suspension, brakes, wheels, lights..... basically everything else) Just glad that then engine is sorted. Huge hurdle for me.

I was out of town for a few days, but I believe my transmission arrived as well as a braided front brake cable. :) I should be able to start putting this engine back together. I still am going to have the valves looked at by a pro before I secure the top end down.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to post updates.

From the graaaaave...

After a long hiatus I'm back to working on this 360. Sorry it's been so long, but just had too much going on to devote to this. I'm living in Tulsa, OK now and after the move 3.5 years ago, I just lacked any motivation to work on this. Also, I had a Boxster S for awhile and that was getting all my attention and money for upgrades and such. But, a few weeks ago I started getting the bike bug again and thought I'd get back to working on this.

So, since moving, the parts have been scattered between my storage unit (I'm living in a condo), a barn, etc... I started rounding up all of my engine parts to continue where I left off. Just thought I'd come back to my thread, refresh my memory where I left off, and say hello to you all. I'll be updating this as I go and I'll be sure to include lots of photos.

I hope this finds you all well and I'll update this soon.

Welcome back, also welcome to the land where the wind never stops blowing... ;D

frogman: Thank you! Seriously... haha Hope all is well with you!

So I've been hard at work figuring out where I left off. Here's where I am:
- Transmission had some damaged gears, so I had bought one from eBay and installed it transferring the clutch from my old one.
- The rotor was trashed, and had ordered another from eBay as well.
- Installed my crankshaft and sealed up the cases with Yamabond and torqued to spec.
- Pulled my old rotor off (with the help of an oil filter removal strap and the rear axle to "pop" it off) and installed the replacement as well as the chain and installed the starter.
- Took apart the oil pump and installed new gasket

Things are moving along nicely, just need to order new parts that I know I'll need. Have started by ordering new mufflers (cleaned and polished the headers) and they are on their way here.

Today will be ordering a new:
- cam chain (I know... decided to order after i'd put the cases back together. So, we'll see how it will go putting a new one on... I just noticed some binding in some of the links after I'd joined...)
- front brake caliper and piston
- rear shocks
- new cables (all of them)
- regulator/rectifier
- handlebar switches
- sprockets and chain
- muffler gaskets
- coils

Need to pick out a seat. I have one that I like, but I'd like to have one that allows a passenger.

Mufflers arrived as well as a heavy box of other parts (rear shocks, sprockets, cam and drive chains, handlebar switches, coils, regulator/rectifier, cables, etc), so I began putting things back together a little more. Really like how the muffler looks.

I installed the new sprocket after using Evaporust on the retainer. Worked really well.

Installed the new cam chain. Used a chain breaking tool on the old chain, then temporarily linked the new chain to the old chain using a small wire. While gently pulling on the old chain, rotated the crank to feed the new chain around it. When it was back around, simply took off the wire holding the old chain to the new. Then just linked up the new chain. Is a great way to replace one without having to tear down the engine.

Installed pistons with new rings and new clips. Gave them and the cylinders plenty of oil.

Ran into a problem with the cylinder gasket. The holes for the cylinders were WAY too small. I ended up marking and cutting the holes myself. I'm not sure if anyone else has run into this issue, but that was my solution. It came to me as part of a kit.

Working carefully, it was much easier than I anticipated to slide the cylinders onto the pistons without a ring compressor, thankfully.

Then installed the replacement head and cam that I'd bought years ago.

Set the cam in and positioned the chain on it correctly. Removed the advancer to clean it up. Mine was seized on tight. Torqued down the head.

Installed the tensioner and slipper, and that's where I stopped. I may have run into a problem with the valve cover... Not sure yet, but things don't seem right. I'll post more on that as I confirm.

Back
Top Bottom