Pulses per rotation CB360

redwillissuperman

Keep it simple- engine, wheels, bars
Since the Honda CB360 is 180deg twin I am assuming the ignition reads a pulse every 180degrees or twice per rotation.

redwillissuperman said:
Since the Honda CB360 is 180deg twin I am assuming the ignition reads a pulse every 180degrees or twice per rotation.
I hope so, because I just modified a GL Dyna to work on a CB360, LOL. Seriously though- yes, it does unless you set it up for wasted spark.

The stock ignition works on a 1/4 scale rotation from the the crankshaft, the ignition cam "reads" at 360 degrees for the left and again at 540 degrees for the left, then goes another 540 before the left starts again.

They fire ONCE per 4 cycles of each independent cylinder, no wasted spark as they do not share the same points like is found in 360 degree engines.

The will need 2 electronic pickups if using e-ignition, if you use one you will have to trigger it twice and the first hit will likely be in the intake stroke on the second cylinder if used as a wasted spark system. May or may not set that one off as well.

frogman said:
The stock ignition works on a 1/4 scale rotation from the the crankshaft, the ignition cam "reads" at 360 degrees for the left and again at 540 degrees for the left, then goes another 540 before the left starts again.

They fire ONCE per 4 cycles of each independent cylinder, no wasted spark as they do not share the same points like is found in 360 degree engines.

The will need 2 electronic pickups if using e-ignition, if you use one you will have to trigger it twice and the first hit will likely be in the intake stroke on the second cylinder if used as a wasted spark system. May or may not set that one off as well.
2 pickups set at 90°, correct? That's what I thought we are talking about.

I'm fitting EFI, and I was hoping to use the Pamco ignition. I will probably fit a wheel and sensor along with a standalone CDI.

Yeah 90 degrees apart on the cam, thing I was talking about is that a 180 is not a wasted spark system.

Lots of guys run the Pamco, seems to have a varied rate of success, larger motors seem to do better, something about the 350s and 360s seems to eat them occasionally. I've tossed the idea around in my head for 3 years about getting one and feels like as soon as I make up my mind to get one another person posts about issues with them. There's a really LARGE thread on Honda Twins about them.

There are at least 3 kits now out for E-ignition, Pamco, Charles Place and Tytronic, which that last one is supposed to be a knock off of the Charles Place one, which is supposed to be a knock off of Dyna.

Kanticoy successfully built one for his 360 with sensors from a Toyota 22RE engine distributor and a GM ignition module...

ce98c18f.jpg

7c09a7fe.jpg

AFAIK, it's been trouble free since 2010.

I do remember him doing that, I followed his build, still one of my favorite 360s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

frogman said:
Yeah 90 degrees apart on the cam, thing I was talking about is that a 180 is not a wasted spark system.

Lots of guys run the Pamco, seems to have a varied rate of success, larger motors seem to do better, something about the 350s and 360s seems to eat them occasionally. I've tossed the idea around in my head for 3 years about getting one and feels like as soon as I make up my mind to get one another person posts about issues with them. There's a really LARGE thread on Honda Twins about them.

There are at least 3 kits now out for E-ignition, Pamco, Charles Place and Tytronic, which that last one is supposed to be a knock off of the Charles Place one, which is supposed to be a knock off of Dyna.
I have a Charlie's Place and the blue all electronic advance "Pamco". Charlie's retains the mechanical advancer.

The plan is to mount a toothed wheel missing one tooth. The missing tooth with align with the LF mark. Then the computer knows exactly when to fire the Left Cylinder and then wait, 180 crank degrees and fire Right Cylinder.

I was making a 36-1 wheel so each tooth is 10degrees.

I have a Rick's alternator kit, but I may need to mount two in a parallel to power the computer, Heated O2, sensors and pump.

Back
Top Bottom