CL350 Junker Wrenching

Yes sir, I wiped them down thoroughly before I put everything back in today. Everything is kosher from a thickness perspective. All is reinstalled with the exception of the cover itself and one spring. I’m pretty sure it’s for the kick and goes on the end of the kick shaft but I need to hunt it down. Generally, I’m a “no parts left over” kind of mechanic. I took a wire wheel to the cover today and will spend some elbow grease with some finer sand paper tomorrow, then maybe a shot of clear. I need to see what has the best heat tolerance. Maybe I’ll just let it patina. Haven’t decided just yet. If I have the time tomorrow I’m going to roll the back the other direction and put in new points and new condenser. After that it’s a starter rebuild. We’ll see. Just doing a thorough cleaning of the left side is going to take some time. I also need to walk around the edge of the right side with a dremel. There was a good bit of the old gasket just baked on, and I was having a hard time scraping it even with a straight edge. It’s probably the original.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1409.JPG
    IMG_1409.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 300
I recommend not to clear coat the raw aluminum covers.

Most will yellow and peel and not fuel resistant.

Guys use Sharkhide w good success. I got a can to do Rachels Hondamatic but chickened out as its a "wipe on" product.

And I have never even experimented w it to see how it goes on.

Also, I have always thought about trying Spraymax 2k clear coat for the engine covers. It is AWESOME stuff, fuel resistant, super clear, crazy glossy,
sprays beautifully, and tough as nails once cured.

But I dont know the heat tolerance.

You also need a copy of the Honda parts list.

Like this one...just make sure its in English. LOL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parts-List-2-Honda-CB-250-K4-CB-350-K4-P4-CL-350-K4-1973-160-Seiten/202434749893?hash=item2f220d25c5:g:KEUAAOSwowtbmOFw

Well...hell. I just eyeballed it and made up my mind immediately that it was the friction spring for the kick start. I usually don’t do much in the way of notes or photos (except for documenting one like this) when I’m working on things because generally it just....makes sense? That one I picked up from the little magnetized dish that I keep things in and thought immediately that I was at it correctly. Yes, a parts list would probably help.

Officially back here. I’m a little on the fence about this part of the clutch assembly. When I simulate pressing the clutch lever, the portion of the assembly that presses the lever back into place and keeps it from jumping backs slightly away from this star-shaped head. I’m really not sure if this should be the case or not. I usually try not to over-tighten. Anyone have similar issues?

Attachments

• IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 285
Pressing the clutch lever?

The star-shaped part there is for the shifter mechanism, isn't it?

I'm not familiar with the CL350 clutch but I would have expected a rod passing through the transmission shaft to actuate the clutch basket.

It looks similar to most motors, including the XS650 I'm more familiar with.

Sorry, guys. I might have been vague there. See the attached diagram for reference. When I move the arm situated at the end of Part 15 on the far left then it should simulate someone pressing the clutch and shifting. Part 7 allows this action and then falls back into position by the spring that was originally in question. Unfortunately, the fork at the end of part seven which slides over the end of the star-shaped spindle only fits snugly against it until I simulate the shift. Then there is a gap between the innermost edge of the fork and the spindle. I don’t know if that’s a proper expectation in that situation or not.

I could have cleared up the confusion by just pausing for a moment to take a photo, but just before I left I knocked over a pan containing about a week’s worth of oil which had not gone to the recycle barrel. That’s...a real pain in the ass. Sorry about that. If the diagram still doesn’t help, I’ll get a photo first thing in the morning. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 51BC1B14-80C1-4C30-B92B-C85475E84505.gif
    51BC1B14-80C1-4C30-B92B-C85475E84505.gif
    162.2 KB · Views: 301
I just found the answer in the first five minutes of this video. Note the gap between the fork and shaft. Sorry again, I’ll try to get the nomenclature correct next go-round. Also, this is a pretty good video series as far as doing a total overhaul done. Lots of info there. I’m probably late to that party.
https://youtu.be/zqVA_OA0QzA

I should have figured. I made some good progress today. Most people around were without power (I’m in SC and we’re having our late Summer hurricane season) and after a few housecalls to sort out ethanol’d-up generators I took a half day to work on the Honda. I got the clutch assembly back together, added a fresh gasket and put the cover back on with some new hardware (and some friggin’ antiseize this time). I’m satisfied on that right lower. I turned the stand around and started on the other side. I already have new points, condenser and starter rebuild, but I figured I would go about cleaning and regreasing in a similar fashion as before. I removed the chain and ran it through some WD-40 rust penetrant, although I think it might be fairly well preserved based purely on the amount of grease congealed with dirt that was on it. I made one pass with a wire wheel, splattered my coveralls thoroughly, and set it to soak a bit in the green stuff. I’ll make another pass with a wheel tomorrow, but I honestly think the chain might be ok. I need to get to the sprocket next and see how it has fared.

Attachments

• IMG_1436.JPG
    IMG_1436.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 296
Lookin good my man. 8)

A bunch of us got together this past spring and rode the Blue Ridge Parkway, trail riding and visited Wheels Through Time.

MandoSteve said:
Most people around were without power (I’m in SC and we’re having our late Summer hurricane season)
Where you at? I'm in Augusta. I blew straight through here, but somehow we never lost power. Usually, we can't get through a basic thunderstorm without losing power. We may have had this conversation, but I grew up in SC. I've lived from Charleston to Landrum and everywhere in-between.

Appreciate it, fellas. I’m in Pickens, which is just below the NC border. I’m about 45 minutes to Asheville and 45 to Greenville. It’s a great little town. I’d love to have this finished before it gets too cold to ride. That’s optimism talking right there, but I thoght my wife would like to take a ride up there. Sort of makes a racer seat out of the question. I guess I’ll know pretty quick whether a 350 could make it. We got some high winds, and since most of our power lines are over ground, we always get a half day down at least. Lots of tall trees and thin top soil here. It’s just changed from red mud to mountain black dirt.

You can do it. Not like we get harsh winters anyway. You've got at least until January. LOL

I go through Pickens on the way to Table Rock. That town really has come a long way, since I was a teen in high school.

MandoSteve said:
but I thoght my wife would like to take a ride up there. Sort of makes a racer seat out of the question. I guess I’ll know pretty quick whether a 350 could make it.

Both, Rachels Hondamatic and Piglet did awesome on the Parkway.

11494-060618045219-38561773.jpeg

Man, those are some pretty bikes. I’m going to try to bring some pretty back into this 350. My wife has been very, very sick. I started eyeballing that Honda in my boneyard about the last time she was in the hospital, and reading on Honda air-cooled engines as a way to pass the time at night. The every-four-hour interruptions to check on how she was doing mean no sleep for me. I’m just a light sleeper, I guess. I started telling her that I thought I could probably get it running, and she said if I did and she got out of the mess she was in that we would go for a ride. She’s out of the worst of the mess, so I’m planning on holding up my end. If I’m lucky, I might get wheels on asphalt before her treatment is complete.

I had an adversary today. A 1952 Briggs that I was absolutely positive I could get to fire, but there was no sweet-talking it. Replaced the points and condenser, and while it doesn’t have ideal compression it’s there. I reseated the ignition coil, even poured a little premix down in the head to see if that might get it started, but no dice. Nowhere I can grab it with an impact wrench to push it along either. I’ll mull it over and get that thing moving.

In the meantime, I did a couple of passes on the left side of the Honda, mostly just pulling out wads of rat-nest material and accelerating my need to get my shop towels to the laundromat (they are just too funky to wash at home). I wire wheeled the sprocket/clutch wire cover and dropped the components down into my ultrasonic cleaner.

Going to try to get on the points tomorrow. I have a carb clean on a Honda generator and then a 97cc Chinese kids bike to eyeball and then I’ll tackle it. Someone has miserably stripped the screws fixing the plate to the block, so that seems like a good time already.

Table Rock is a fine place. I worked up there doing trail maintenance during the summer when I was a kid. It never dawned on me I was going up and down a mountain every day for work, which was probably ideal thinking considering the circumstances.

Attachments

• IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 285
  • IMG_1439.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 292
I tried to lightly move across those deep scratches on the cover...but only barely. They are fairly substantial. I also noticed a bent heat fin, which I’ll need to correct in short order.

Back
Top Bottom