1948 HRD Vincent -Ashtray to Driveway

Hi Guys,
I'm glad your enjoying this build. I've been waiting since December for clutch arm parts. I have done some assembly but not much. I'll put a picture up soon as the parts i'd been waiting for arrived on Thursday.
I'm also looking at doing an Egli-Vincent build. I'll know more tomorrow.
Cheers
Brt651

buellingvincent said:
Hi again brt651,
Have you fitted the primary cover yet over the Bob Newby belt drive? I just tried on my Black Shadow and failed even though I have machined away the wall between the clutch and the clutch sprocket.
I have posted my project on http://www.accessnorton.com/crankcase-repair-t24312.html
BR / Patrik
Hello Patrik,
Sorry for the late reply.
I haven't covered the belt drive as yet. I'm waiting on an aftermarket clutch cover to butcher.
Ive just read your posts on the Accessnorton site. I liked it very much. Your well on your way.
Good luck with it all.
Cheers
Brt651
P.S I like your conrod protectors. I seem to have seen them somewhere else. ha ha

Hi Brt651,
Thanks! The conrod protectors was your idea. I read your post and copied :)

I just came back from the Scandinavian Vincent Club Rally. I brought the engine with me in the car and had great discussions with several members. Ernst Hegeler, a German who owns a genuine Black Lightning, makes new crank cases and covers and have built a few engines with electric starter with the starter motor located where the dynamo normally sits, told me that I need to machine the inside of the cover as much as possible to make room for both clutch and belt. If I don't do that my 30mm belt won't fit under the standard primary cover even if I put the pulleys as far in as possible, unless I make a 8mm spacer between the crank case and cover. I might still need to make a thin spacer.
Another member who had managed to fit a Newby belt under a standard cover also machined the inside of the cover but before that he had the cover welded on the outside to add material. This is according to him a must to avoid using a spacer all together as there is not enough material to machine away as needed on the inside to make room for the belt.
I was also told that when putting the clutch as far in as possible the clutch shaft will need to be shorten.

So my next step is to measure as good as I can how much I can machine away on the cover and still have 2-3mm of wall thickness. If the result is that I still need to add a spacer I will probably instead go to the welder and have him add material on the outside of the cover and the smoothen it to make it look stock.
All the best / Patrik

Hi Patrik,
Ive fitted a 40 mm belt drive. I'm going to make a spacer with using an old cover I think.
At least you woul;d have had a great day out talking Vincent's. I don't have anyone close I can chat too. Though saying that terry prince only lives 60 miles away.
Cheers
Brian

Hi Brian, I will use a 40mm belt on my other engine (TPV top end 92 bore and 100mm stroke). I will fit that engine in a Egli-like frame that I plan to make myself. Reading worntorns Vincent 1360 thread on accessnorton.com I'm quite certain that with a 40mm belt a spacer is always needed.

Yes some 60 Vincenteers attended the Rally so many discussions indeed. I'm as far away from Terry Prince as possible living in Stockholm. Both of you are really living down-under from me. No nearby Rallies during your summers?

/ Patrik

Hi again Brian,
Handed over the cover to the welder this morning. He will try to have it ready next week.
Will focus on fitting the gearbox the comming days. Plus figure out what I need to do to place the pulleys as far in as possible.
All the best / Patrik

Hi Patrik,
Good luck with that. It seems a long time ago since I fitted this gearbox. I fitted a 5 speed from Quaife. I made steel spacers for the seals to run on instead of the alloy ones Bob supplies.
Cheers Brian

Sent from my SM-G900I using DO THE TON mobile app

brt651 said:
Hi Patrik,
Good luck with that. It seems a long time ago since I fitted this gearbox. I fitted a 5 speed from Quaife. I made steel spacers for the seals to run on instead of the alloy ones Bob supplies.
Cheers Brian

Hi Brian,
I got stuck a bit with the gearbox as I realized I need to replace the bushes on the final drive shaft. Still waiting for those two pieces.

Instead I've spent hours on the Newby clutch hub and many hours on the primary cover. I have finally machined the inner end of the clutch hub to make it slide over the shaft splines and sit tight to the PD21 spacer. Shortened the splines of the clutch hub by 4mm and chamfered it so now it is almost 10 mm further in. The cover primary is now reshaped and the 30mm belt fits under it without any need of a spacer between cover and crank case. A hell of a lot work to get there.

However I needed to order a bigger crank pulley (40t instead of 36t) and a longer belt (112t instead of 110t). Waiting for these as well...

TStRkUI.jpg

yOPCZs0.jpg

My original cover next to the new reshaped one.

MOf2xLt.jpg

AH0Ys5e.jpg

All the best / Patrik

Hi Patrik,
I can appreciate the time it takes to modify and make it all work. I have 3 of Bob's belt drives now. I bought extra 30 mm pulleys and belts. I like the way you have got the original primary cover to fit without a spacer. That's a lot of machining.
Keep me up too date
Cheers Brian

Hi Everyone,
Well I have been busy fitting parts. I have the gear change,selector, kick start cover and gears assembled. I fitted the exhaust today. That's a nasty job but anyway.
Just have to still fit the tank brackets.
That rear guard took me nearly 50 hours all up. From polishing to making brackets fit and matching the 2 pieces together.
Not to mention all the bracing that goes under the guard plus the tail light assembly and rear stand brackets. I'm not complaining really. also you may notice I have an Egli style frame too now. Actually I bought 2 off them. But that's for another time.
Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• sept 30 -1.jpg
    sept 30 -1.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 332
  • sept 30-2.jpg
    sept 30-2.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 327
  • sept 30-3.jpg
    sept 30-3.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 325
  • sept30-4.jpg
    sept30-4.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 336
Hi, just now found and read the whole thread. Absolutely stunning work on a very neat machine.

trek97 said:
Hi, just now found and read the whole thread. Absolutely stunning work on a very neat machine.

Sick ain't it? I need more... it's been a while

For those of you loyal followers please don't give up hope on me finishing this one. There have been a few problems recently that have been over come and I should be full steam ahead again. I'm seeing what troubles I come up against fitting these dellorto carbs today. Looks like the tank will need to be modified. Thank you again for looking.

Attachments

• 20180429_145849.jpg
    20180429_145849.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 601
  • 20180429_145924.jpg
    20180429_145924.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 614
  • 20180429_145951.jpg
    20180429_145951.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 637
  • 20180429_150028.jpg
    20180429_150028.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 629
buellingvincent said:
Looking good Brian!
I also got a bit further with my bike. Hope to get the top ends bolted on this weekend and start putting the timing side parts back again.

A picture of a the primary cover just hanging in the belt.
The outside of the pulley is now only sticking out about 17 mm (2/3").

Perfect solution to the messy stock clutch.

Hello Buellingvincent ,
Glad your making headway.
The space you have looks great. I've had to make up 26 mm spacers to get clearance on the belt for now. I've ground away a lot of the primary cover also.
My next task is to remove some of the fuel tank for clearance on the front carb.
Then run the oil return lines and fuel taps and lines.
THEN think about firing it up!!!!!
I bet there are a few followers that wish I just got in and had it running. I'm keen too. ha ha
Cheers
Brian

Thanks Brian,
You have a 40 mm wide belt if a remember. I believe that one will never fit under the cover without a spacer. I have a 30 mm belt and had to squeeze it in.

Good luck with the tank Brian!

/Patrik

It's coming together nicely. Good luck with the timing. All my gears are new and no timing marks. It's very time consuming. I think you will be passing me soon. I better get too it.

Back
Top Bottom