trackin xv750

MJPriceisright

Coast to Coast
hey guys, been on the site for a while now, currently doing two other builds as well, one of which is a cb450 and my brother and i are doing a yamha tx500... but all the while ive been doing those builds ive always loved the xv750's and how they look stripped down.. so when i came across one in my area for dirt cheap i couldnt pass it up.. so the background of the bike, its an 83 midnight edition virago xv750, which i was excited about, cause i love black and now this will be less work cause its already done they way i like it.. it was a police abandoned bike, guy must have been drunk, crashed (HARD) and fled the scene.. who wants a dui these days ya know? so i got the bike, non running for 150 bucks. doesnt really have much rash at all, aside from the obvious front end needing replacement.. so im thinking all black tracker bike, sport bike front end, renthal bars, stubbing little seat.. they have a rear to front conversion so i can run equal fat tires with the most outrageous knobs i can find.. which has been a problem to find cause these are 16" rims.. so yeah thats kind of where im at.. just picked up a front end off a guy, 2000 suzuki gsxr750, inverted 50mm forks, so that was good, just need to get some time to get them on. please follow along and give advice or ask questions, this will be my first tracker bike, but im super excited about it. happy holidays.

Attachments

• 20121123_213356.jpg
    20121123_213356.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 612
so my first update post is going to be the tear down and cutting process.. i love that open and exposed rear shock, i love mono shocks, if you take a peek at my other builds, monoshocks.. so its nice this one already has one.. so i got all the shit off and started cutting.. ive done my research and am currently following other builds that have done the same with no issues.. also had to get rid of the stock air shock.. talk about lucking out.. the yamaha yzf600R shock that im using for the cb450 just happens to slide right into place, except the external resevoir keeps it from fitting in the top stock mount.. no problem.. the yamaha yzf600 (non R model) doesnt have an external resevoir, so it mounted right up, totally lucked out, cause ive seen guys mount sport bike shocks, but need to make their own mounts cause they are significantly shorter. also just clamped on a piece of cut wood to get an idea of what i think the rear tail is gonna look like.. thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• 20121125_154158.jpg
    20121125_154158.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 572
  • 20121125_184903.jpg
    20121125_184903.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 575
  • 20121126_220748.jpg
    20121126_220748.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 541
  • 20121129_225249 (1).jpg
    20121129_225249 (1).jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 587
forgot to mention my brother and I did go through the wiring mess, and in about 30 minutes had the bike running which was great, now to just get all the wiring figured out, and ditch what we dont need.

MJ - what a priceless use of an engine stand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to shamelessly steal that idea and tell all my English mates that I thought of it !!

Seriously - I've got an engine stand that hasn't seen use since I gave up Drag Racing [ 10 years ago ], threatened to sell it a few times, and so it lives again.

Oh yes - you'll love Yams big Vees, they become addictive. I have 3 now - one's a Cafe Racer build [ 60's style ] and one a Boardtracker 'ish. Still undecided about the 3rd., but I feel a sidecar outfit is in my future.

haha your more than welcome to take the idea and call it your own.. i cant take credit for it, was my brothers idea, i actually called him an idiot at first when i was holding up the damn thing while he was taking his sweet ass time to get it in there. ah well, bite my tongue. should have the forks and what not this weekend or early next, so getting this thing back on two wheels is priority at the moment, but the most attention is going towards my cb450.

MJPriceisright said:
haha your more than welcome to take the idea and call it your own.. i cant take credit for it, was my brothers idea, i actually called him an idiot at first when i was holding up the damn thing while he was taking his sweet ass time to get it in there. ah well, bite my tongue. should have the forks and what not this weekend or early next, so getting this thing back on two wheels is priority at the moment, but the most attention is going towards my cb450.

Multi-projects - that's what it's all about. And women say we men can't multi-task !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

was doing some searching around today looking for good knobby tires for the project and was coming up empty handed in the tire department because its a 16" rim.. im planning on doing the rear/front conversion so ill have 16" all around... was hoping to find some really outlandish knobby tires.. if anyone knows a brand that makes em please shed the light on me.

if the rear was only a 17" i could get real crazy with some of these tires i have been finding.. they make any other shaft drive yamaha's with 17" rears? i know the xj is an 18" but a narrower rim, id like to stay as wide as possible on the front and rear.

anybody have a clue what kind of tires these are? looks like the most radical tires i can find for 16" rims.. kind of dissapointing.

Attachments

• custom-yamaha-virago-1.jpg
    custom-yamaha-virago-1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 3,435
Not sure if this is where you should buy it but they make em

http://www.roguemotorsportz.com/i18259/Kenda-K-760-Trakmaster-II-Motorcycle-Tire-90-100-16-rear.aspx?sc=Google&ad=Products&gclid=CIzknJTlp7QCFQqe4AodB2QAUw

that link you gave me would only be a 90 width for my 16" rim... im looking for something like 130/90/16.. wide, chunky, etc.. what i have found so far is Vee rubber performance tires, couple different models, not too aggressive but looks alright, here is the link for a tire i found.. its 120 width.

http://veerubber.co.th/veerubber2012/motorcycle_tires.php?Ptype=Enduro&lang=en&mid=6

they make any other shaft drive yamaha's with 17" rears?

Yes, 1980xs850G, i have one if your research works out.

saw this bike the other day and its exacting the inspirating im going after.. this bike is simply amazing in my opinion, and you can easily replicate this to an extent using the xv. have a great new year!

Attachments

• 121215-xr1-01.jpg
    121215-xr1-01.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 542
Tripler said:
they make any other shaft drive yamaha's with 17" rears?

Yes, 1980xs850G, i have one if your research works out.

was looking around at parts fiches etc.. doesnt look like it will quite work out. i could be wrong.

couple updates here, had some time and came across a front end for the bat bike build, (seems to be the trending name in our garage as of late). came off a 2001 gsxr1000, just needs to be painted or PC'd black, whichever comes first.. also kind of mocked up what id like the rear seat to look like, stubby, nutcracker, whatever youd like to call it, but it looks pretty good. up next will most likely be the rear to front conversion, need to think about braking.. id really like to do drums all around so i dont have to mess with a master cylinder, trying to keep the handlebars as simple as possible, but some thought will have to go into that.. anyone else have thoughts, comments, random insults? happy new year everyone!

Attachments

• IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 462
Just at a quick glance, but is that front tire going to hit the motor if you hit a good bump? I'm diggin the inspiration you are pulling from so I'm looking forward to how this build turns out.

yeah possibly.. i dont plan on running this front wheel, its actually damaged and the tire is punctured. just tossed it on there so the bike is movable around the garage.. i plan on running the rear to front conversion, so the front will have the same dimensions as the current rear wheel.

im also thinking about taking some sheet metal and closing up the rear swingarm to give it that sport bike swingarm look as well.

Back
Top Bottom