71' CB500 monoshock with no name...O2 sensor success!

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name.

Bert Jan said:
Nice man! Congrats!

Thanks! The only thing I know is that the battery isn't recharging... so I'll hunt down the issue (probably a grounding issue) and then order up the new Reg/Rec per your recommendation! haha ;) I can't wait to finish the little things and take her for a spin!

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name...but she runs now (vid on page14)

Outstanding

Rich Ard said:
Outstanding

Thanks sir!

I found the issue...and as I suspected...it was a grounding issue. I forgot to put it on completely! I'll take care of that today and hopefully get a short test ride in around the back of my work here.

And I thought while I was at it...I should probably make it street legal for testing purposes eh? Started making my tail/brake lights today. This assembly will be either one of two, or I may decide to just have one. We'll see. So far so good. I'll need some finishing touches on it, but I used 20 or 22 gauge sheet metal and my MIG doesn't really like it as it wants to turn it into a pile of molten metal :-\

Attachments

• 152tailandbrakelights.jpg
    152tailandbrakelights.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 249
  • 153tailandbrakelights.jpg
    153tailandbrakelights.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 154tailandbrakelights.jpg
    154tailandbrakelights.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 258

Here's what I came up with in the end. Not how I planned it, so it will get binned and I'll make it how I wanted to in the beginning. But for now...it's wired up and I'm STREET LEGAL...except for my license plate..which I haven't mounted yet. Sorry for the blurry second pic, I did the best I could, and failed. :p

Attachments

• 156tailandbrakelights.jpg
    156tailandbrakelights.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 157tailandbrakelights.jpg
    157tailandbrakelights.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 239

Yo Bruno,

I cant seem to find wich tire is on the back rim. I kinda like it, might do it on my front. Could you tell me wich one it is? Bike is coming together nicely!

Bert Jan said:
Yo Bruno,

I cant seem to find wich tire is on the back rim. I kinda like it, might do it on my front. Could you tell me wich one it is? Bike is coming together nicely!

K761 8)

Same is this one below:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/15130/ITEM/Kenda-K761-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA393&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&kw={keyword}&gclid=CNum0rfgoLYCFcw7Mgod2F0AOQ

Thanks man! It will get modified a bit more when the frame is out, but I like the overall thought of it. :D

Got her running long enough to sync the carbs! She goes like a rocket after the hesitation from idle. So I'll go up a size on the pilot jets as I'm at the end of the tuning ability of the mixture screws. Also...the battery isn't charging. So I just bought a brand new, much better than stock 2 in 1 unit. Should be here by the end of the week. At which point I hope to have my exhaust ideas finalized so I can drill and weld my O2 sensor bungs in there and REALLY see what's going on for my air/fuel ratio!

Attachments

• 158testriding.jpg
    158testriding.jpg
    630.6 KB · Views: 276

looking great. I think the use of the O2 would be the best way to tune any bike. Be interesting to see your numbers when you give it a go.

I agree. I'm getting closer and closer as I get the finishing goodies to make her run correctly. Here's a look at the recent parts that came in. New Reg/Rec unit. Had to cut up a flasher relay from an old KZ750 I had laying around to match the New Reg/rec plugs as the original cb500 has round plugs. Easy swap and hope to put it on and make electricity finally go back INTO the battery vs just coming out :p

Also drilled out the pilots and got the new float bowl o-rings on there. Slick.

Attachments

• 159electrifying.jpg
    159electrifying.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 247
  • 161pilotdrillout2.jpg
    161pilotdrillout2.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 262
  • 163regrecinstall.jpg
    163regrecinstall.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 168regrecinstall.jpg
    168regrecinstall.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 259

Why did you drill the jets? It's about as hack-job as it gets imho

Bert Jan said:
Why did you drill the jets? It's about as hack-job as it gets imho

I'm measuring each increment as I go, and I have the Colortune, and eventually the wideband O2 sensors going in to get all the fuelling correct. At which point, I'll order up the correct jets and main jets and go from there. I find that spending tons of money on GUESSWORK has gotten me a ton of jets I don't need in the past, and wastes my money. I'll drill them out until I'm happy, and then buy the correct jet, saving me quite a bit in the long run. 4 jets x 3.50 each $14 + shipping each time I'm incorrect in the guesswork.

Bert Jan said:
fair enough!

Haha. On a side note...I now know that my pilots are TOO big at this size, the Colortune showed Rich....and my plugs agreed!! ::) :p So I'll look for some 42's and call it a day. Any particular place that people prefer to get their pilot jets from? I've got DennisKirk an hour away, but I can't remember if they sell the pilots to these old gals.

MotorbikeBruno said:
...the Colortune showed Rich....

that thing's always getting the drop on me

Back
Top Bottom