"the Mooch"

it was only a matter of time …

Attachments

• mcmaster.JPG
    mcmaster.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 565
The first is entirely expected and a sign of things to come. I thought I read an article recently that seemed to be claiming that many pig farms are now owned by Chinese companies, so I'm not sure how that all ties in.

The second item is really big if they can pull it off. That has the potential to replace the US Dollar as the major trading currency over time. That was likely to happen under any administration but Trump appears to be making a case that the US is no longer a reliable partner in defense or economic terms.

The oddest one recently was that he tweeted about the great trade deal he did with South Korea and how it would allow more American cars into that country and then he tweeted that he might hold that deal up as a bargaining chip. If the deal was so good for the US and so bad for South Korea how on earth could be in the US interest to stop it?

Smithfield is the largest supplier of pork in the US, and world, and is Chinese owned.

That's the one. Creates gazillions of tons of pig shit, but that's another story. So how does putting a tax on that going to China help except as a political manoeuver to let Trump know that they could do something nasty if they so desired, but in this case they restrained themselves. It gets interesting were politics and economics cross paths. I suspect that Xi knew what he was doing though.

One really interesting product is ginseng for which the market is China and Wisconsin grows most of it and they export something like 87% to China, so that tariff is likely to hurt the farmers without putting much of a dent in cross border markets. Clearly designed as a surgical strike to make a political statement without rocking the overall economic boat very much.

And if the underlying issue is IP appropriation then why not address that issue head on instead to trying an oblique, crude bullying approach.

Re: "the Mooch"

Messing with the petrodollar starts wars, seen enough of that the last few decades.. maybe this time china invades and occupies the u.s? We can probably take a few hundred thousand american refugees, they would blend right in with the 160 000 arabs we have taken in the last 2 years!

Re: "the Mooch"

datadavid said:
Messing with the petrodollar starts wars, seen enough of that the last few decades.. maybe this time china invades and occupies the u.s? We can probably take a few hundred thousand american refugees, they would blend right in with the 160 000 arabs we have taken in the last 2 years!
China isn't dumb enough to start a war with us.

Back
Top Bottom