1966 Ducati 250 Monza

nice thread mate, i'll be watching, learning (borrowing ) some ideas from you ,,thanks in advance :) ................PS ,,,swivel, i honestly feel sorry for you.

Well let's see if I can get some momentum going on this one again...

I thought I had posted some info on the rearsets I was trying to put together but apparently not. I started them years ago and wasn't all that happy with how they were turning out.

The basic mounting bracket should work ok, I haven't decided if I'll countersink the top mounting hole, I might just use a button head fastener.

lever_6544_l.jpg

Then I cut out a lever based on some plans from Motoscrubs.com. I wasn't very happy with how it turned out but for mock up uses it was fine.

lever_6542_l.jpg

The footpeg was still a work in progress.
lever_6533_l.jpg

The idea is to flip the actuator on the drum so it's pointed up, and then use a rod instead of a cable to pull on it. I didn't like where the hole for the anchor ended up, and I also didn't like how much offset there was between this lever and the one on the the drum. the rod would have to run from the edge of that lever to the inside of the swingarm.

lever_6535_l.jpg

I finally decided that I had to go with folding pegs if I was going to use a kickstart, so I ordered some Tarrozzis. I would have ordered an entire set but they stick out too far, so I just got the pegs.

I also decided to make a new lever, and this time I was going to put it inside the peg mount. This would pull it further away from the kickstart, and help out with the offset. It took a couple tries but I think I've got the general shape now.

lever_6521_l.jpg

lever_6523_l.jpg

lever_6530_l.jpg

I'm hoping I can bend the 1/4" thick aluminum I plan to make this with. it'll work if I can't, but it'll work better if I can offset the mounting points about one metal thickness from the pivot point. I'd give it a try but I seem to have used the material I had on hand for some other forgotten project!

The funny part is, when I went downstairs this afternoon I intended to work out the shift lever on the other side. The trick there is to make it work with the muffler in the stock position - there's not much room to get your foot under the shifter for upshifting so I may go with a toe/heel set up, like how they came from the factory. I set up the basic layout but then got distracted somehow...

Yesterday I stopped by the local metal shop and picked up more 1/4" aluminum. Then I found some time in the afternoon so I cut a piece out of it to use as the lever. Remember when I said I couldn't find the material I thought I already had? yeah... I have a story about that.

When I'm working on something and I misplace a wrench or whatever, I will sometimes take another wrench and mimic what I've just done to see where that wrench naturally ends up when I set it down. Sounds stupid but it works sometimes.

So there I am cutting the aluminum I just bought. I had to buy a cut-off that was a lot bigger than what I need, so I chopped a section out of it. Once it was free, I reached over and set it down on the tray under my lathe... directly on top of the stuff I said I couldn't find. Yes, I literally set the new aluminum on top of the old stuff I couldn't find.

I should have more than enough 1/4" aluminum now. Two different alloys I've noticed, so I've got that going for me.

Back to the subject at hand, I hacked out the basic shape, and decided that using spacers underneath the mount would be easier than trying to bend the lever. I get back some of the offset I had reduced by moving the lever behind the mount, but so be it. I

The middle section is pretty much done except for fitting the bearing. The front is close to done, I'll tweak it after I position the peg. The rear part is still very rough, I'm not sure where I want the actuator to attach. When that geometry gets finalized I'll trim it down.
lever_6551_l.jpg

A shot of the spacers. Lathes come in very handy BTW!
lever_6558_l.jpg

It bothers me that the footpeg has nothing to index it's orientation. I'm considering slotting the base and putting a pin in the mount, but maybe I'm worried about nothing? Once the lever is done I'll torque everything down and see how I feel about it then. In the mock up stages (with the peg not tightened down) the peg kept rotating and folding when I put any weight on it. Not good...

DesmoDog said:
Yesterday I stopped by the local metal shop and picked up more 1/4" aluminum. Then I found some time in the afternoon so I cut a piece out of it to use as the lever. Remember when I said I couldn't find the material I thought I already had? yeah... I have a story about that.

When I'm working on something and I misplace a wrench or whatever, I will sometimes take another wrench and mimic what I've just done to see where that wrench naturally ends up when I set it down. Sounds stupid but it works sometimes.

So there I am cutting the aluminum I just bought. I had to buy a cut-off that was a lot bigger than what I need, so I chopped a section out of it. Once it was free, I reached over and set it down on the tray under my lathe... directly on top of the stuff I said I couldn't find. Yes, I literally set the new aluminum on top of the old stuff I couldn't find.

I should have more than enough 1/4" aluminum now. Two different alloys I've noticed, so I've got that going for me.

Back to the subject at hand, I hacked out the basic shape, and decided that using spacers underneath the mount would be easier than trying to bend the lever. I get back some of the offset I had reduced by moving the lever behind the mount, but so be it. I

The middle section is pretty much done except for fitting the bearing. The front is close to done, I'll tweak it after I position the peg. The rear part is still very rough, I'm not sure where I want the actuator to attach. When that geometry gets finalized I'll trim it down.
lever_6551_l.jpg

A shot of the spacers. Lathes come in very handy BTW!
lever_6558_l.jpg

It bothers me that the footpeg has nothing to index it's orientation. I'm considering slotting the base and putting a pin in the mount, but maybe I'm worried about nothing? Once the lever is done I'll torque everything down and see how I feel about it then. In the mock up stages (with the peg not tightened down) the peg kept rotating and folding when I put any weight on it. Not good...
Love it.... Subscribed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Do you still have a bearing in the lever pivot? If so, there needs to be a retaining washer of greater OD than the bearing hole size.

ako said:
Do you still have a bearing in the lever pivot? If so, there needs to be a retaining washer of greater OD than the bearing hole size.

Not yet, but I will, and there will be.

Cool.

Good luck with the rest of the project, it is coming together quite nicely!

I have tarozzi folding pegs on my xs and haven't had a problem with them rotating.

If you wanted a simple set screw in the mounting plate would likely be plenty.

Or you could mill/file a flat on the bottom side of the peg, and have a flat bit of metal welded to the bracket.

If you need offset in the lever start with .5" thick and mill the offset, or cut and weld with overlap?
Cheers, 50gary

Hmmm, I thought I had this set up to notify me of replies, but apparently not.

Anyway... a while ago I got some hollow stainless rod from work to make the brake and shift rods out of. I didn't get any further than that because I thought I'd have to plan out the bends for the brake rod, take it to work, have it bent on a bender so I didn't crush/kink it, then bring it back and figure the rest out, etc.

The other day I decided i need to start putting some effort into this one so I went downstairs, grabbed one of the rods, and bent up the brake rod. Didn't even measure anythiing, just started bending, holding it in place on the bike, bending more, hold it up to the bike and so on. It took all of 15 minutes start to finish. Not sure what the hell I was waiting for.

My fancy schmancy bender; a bunch of tooling slapped together on lathe. I'm only using the chuck to hold the part, no power is going to the lathe, the dog is just to have a rounded surface to bend against.
bend_6728_l.jpg

Made the first bend, brought it over to the bike and held it in place, marked the rod for the second bend, and here it is.
bend_6743_l.jpg

The basic idea of what's going on.
bend_6739_l.jpg

I still have to cut it to length and weld on a nut so I can put a rod end at the lever. The other end will have a threaded rod welded in so I can use the stock adjustment set up. I discovered the rod ends I have here are not 6mm, so I'll have to buy some of those (need them for the shifter too). That should take another few months so expect the next update sometime around new year's eve.

you will have serious bump brake action with that lashup every time your rear wheel moves so will the brake pedal

xb33bsa said:
you will have serious bump brake action with that lashup every time your rear wheel moves so will the brake pedal

D'oh! Why didn't I think of that? Time to start looking at cables again...

DesmoDog said:
D'oh! Why didn't I think of that? Time to start looking at cables again...

well i dint know if you had
i have a simple solution for you and it looks like you have the skills and savvy to pull it off
what i am suggesting is press fit a slug into the hollow swingarm pivot with a stud in the middle to mount a round cable pulley think boat steering type
then have the brake pedal with the attachment 180 degrees from where it si now
so then you run a stranded cable forward under and around the pulley straight back to the lever on the wheel
you can rig a simple guard on the pulley so it wont jump off
have a decently strong return spring at the back with an adjustable up stop at the pedal
voila with say a 1-1/2 diameter pulley you bump brake will be very slight
if you want zero bump brake hang the pulley lower so the cable as it wraps over the top of the pulley intersects the swinger pivot centerline

I took a look at it and I think the way I'll try next is to move the pivot for the lever to the lower bracket mount. Then I can put a cable stop in the general area of the footpeg bolt, and run a cable to the stock location on the rear brake plate. Bonus points with doing it that way is I can maybe fit a brake light switch on the cable like on the bevel twins. From what I can tell the brake cable routing won't be ideal but it won't be too bad.

Hopefully this weekend I can start mocking up rear brake lever #3. Third time's a charm, right?

lever_6551_l.jpg

Pivot would go behind the bracket, on the black bolt in the pic. Cable stop would go somewhere between the footpeg and the top bolt on the bracket. Shorten a stock cable, add a cable anchor on the end and move on to the shifter linkage??? Obviously it would need a lever with a different shape.

Yeah, it's been a while...

Have you ever been working on something, and you get about 90% done and decide to take a little shortcut just to finish it off? So here was the brake stay a couple weeks ago:

Stay_6902_l.jpg

Cable adjuster anchor thingie was done. All the holes were drilled, everything fit, all I had to do was finish shaping the outside of the stay. I got a brilliant idea on how to speed that up using the lathe as a mill. I threw together something to hold everything in place, knowing it wasn't the best idea I'd ever had. As I sat there milling away I kept thinking "Ya know, this thing could start to chatter, and if it flexed enough it could even grab the end mill and...

zzzzzzthnkthnkthnkTHUMPBBZZZztttttt

Hmm. That's sort of what it sounds like when the part chatters, the end mill grabs the material, and everything goes sideways. The way I was doing things was so stupid I'm too embarrassed to even show it...

End result, one slightly bent brake stay that, even if you could straighten it, has a few nice gouges in it where the end mill grabbed hold.

The good news is, building the second part goes faster, even when you take the time to fixture it in a way that won't result in destroying the part.

Stay_6930_l.jpg

Stay_6931_l.jpg

I still need to do some finishing work but the main shape is there.

Hopefully I can figure out the rear brake and shift lever/linkages in the next few days. I took the whole week off work but not surprisingly the honey-do list is growing quickly...

Not sure how I missed this...looks like a fun build so far!

Have you run the bike yet with the new ignition? Im looking into options for my 350 widecase racebike...

Back
Top Bottom