KZ440 -- First ride -- Brooklyn -- Cafe Influence

AnxiousCowboy

It's a work in progress. Not quite going the cafe racer route with it per say, but I've been getting a lot of inspiration looking at cafes and bobbers. It's my first bike. So far all I've done is put drag bars on it, new megaphones, and cleaned it up a bit. Recently had the carbs cleaned, master cylinder rebuilt. I bought exhaust wrap but haven't put it on yet... Having a hard time finding header gaskets... I wrapped up the handle bar grips with cork bicycle wrap. I raced road bicycles along time ago and I always like the look and feel of cork wrap. I like the way it looks and it was cheaper than an ugly pair of rubber grips.

2010-07-13%2012.03.41.jpg

2010-07-13%2012.03.31.jpg

2010-08-05%2012.08.08.jpg

Currently I'm on vacation (2 more weeks). I want to do a bunch of painting. Unfortunately the color scheme I have my heart set on would require me to black out my nice shiney new mufflers and the head light (and almost everything else metallic).

Going to try to figure out how I'm going to mount the headlight soon. I also have to get the brake pedal bent, it rubs the new mufflers...

Anyone know where to score a decently priced tacho/speedo analog combo? Everything is >$200

Rocan said:
ill get that mounted in a jiffy!

You're hired. Finally, someone local!

Hopefully in the near future I get the money (convince my girlfriend to let me spend the money) to put on some new tires. These firestone ANS are sick
monk13_16.jpg

Look off the chain guard today--Don't know why I didn't sooner. Looks a lot "cleaner," but I need to paint the sprocket... looks totally out of place now.

I'd snap some pics, but on my way to the brooklyn vintage show yesterday I got downpoured on so badly it soaked my cell phone :mad:

AnxiousCowboy said:
Look off the chain guard today--Don't know why I didn't sooner. Looks a lot "cleaner," but I need to paint the sprocket... looks totally out of place now.

I'd snap some pics, but on my way to the brooklyn vintage show yesterday I got downpoured on so badly it soaked my cell phone :mad:

take the phone back cover (and any other cover you can) and battery off and leave it on a counter for three days or so more... should dry out.
you might want to consider new sprockets/chain if they havent been changed recently... its cheap assurance you dont want to see what kind of damage a loose chain can do to the bike... and you.

Decided to paint some accessories in this dismal weather. Handlebars, handlebar clamp and screws, and gas cap are primed. Throttle body and everything else on the handlebars are next on the list. The paint is half missing on the throttle body from an old brake fluid spill I imagine, and the bolts and handlebar clamp were looking shitting--Those two things alone are going to make a huge difference. Picture will come when I get some color on it.

Wrapped the headers, mounted all the painted shit back on except the clutch lever... When took it off I couldn't get the cable loose without using pliers. When I yanked it the cable gave me a bunch of slack, making me think I busted it on the other end. Went out today to mount the lever and now the cable is tight and seized. The other end is behind the final drive cover and when I went take out the screws, the last one was half stripped and there's no way I can do it, hopefully and impact screwdriver will work which Rocan is helping me out with.. and hopefully when I get it out it's an easy quick fix--I want to be able to ride my bike before my vacation is over!

On another note, when I took the gas cap off to paint, I taped a plastic bag over it especially since it was about to rain I didnt want any water or anything else inside. When I took it off, I guess some gas evaporated out and bubbled some of my paint. I would be upset, but this motivates me more to take care of gas tank paint since it was a future plan.

Phone/camera should be here on monday, otherwise I'm going to be pissed.

pic of the wrap job... Anyone need some wrap? I have a shit ton of it left over. Going to figure out the clutch cable tomorrow hopefully, got sidetracked today...
2010-08-30_18-58-20_422.jpg

woah, sweet impact driver.... it looks exactly like my old one ;)

Nice wrap man... tell me if your pipes crack! ;)

oh, and expect the wrap to smoke for a couple weeks before its completely dry.

next order of business is ditching that rear grab bar, and cutting down that god awful seat... shit man! also you need some new rear springs.

all in good time.

when i get my spray booth/blast booth setup well get that tank looking good! :D was nice meeting you man.

I'm not cutting that seat, I like that seat. Perfect for my old ladies big butt. I plan on keeping it pretty stock... I like these bikes. Wouldn't mind new rear springs. Want to clean the gas tank off and get it copper plated. Paint the wheels eventually... ahhh, the list... nice meeting you as well...

impact driver working ok?

oh, and what are you doing october 8-10? wanna go down to atlanta for Barber? im trying to get enough people together that i can justify a road trip (and possibly buying a trailer to bring all of our bikes, lets see what the parentals say xD).

Rocan said:
impact driver working ok?

oh, and what are you doing october 8-10? wanna go down to atlanta for Barber? im trying to get enough people together that i can justify a road trip (and possibly buying a trailer to bring all of our bikes, lets see what the parentals say xD).

Impact driver works great indeed--a great addition to my tool. Just picked up a set of open ended wrenches and a drill bit set.... The collection is growing slowly but surely lol

Unfortunately I will be working my ass off until January, no way I can take off work.

On a happy note though I finally got the parts and then the time to address my clutch release problem: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=18352.0 Such a simple fix that boggled my mind a bit in the beginning simply because I thought I was the one fucking up, not the dude who monkey fucked it in the past. It was great to ride the bike today, sounded decent--Wrap job still smoking of course. Got a new speedo cable, so now I might just have a working speedo for the first time since I got the bike.

AnxiousCowboy said:
Impact driver works great indeed--a great addition to my tool. Just picked up a set of open ended wrenches and a drill bit set.... The collection is growing slowly but surely lol

Unfortunately I will be working my ass off until January, no way I can take off work.

On a happy note though I finally got the parts and then the time to address my clutch release problem: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=18352.0 Such a simple fix that boggled my mind a bit in the beginning simply because I thought I was the one fucking up, not the dude who monkey fucked it in the past. It was great to ride the bike today, sounded decent--Wrap job still smoking of course. Got a new speedo cable, so now I might just have a working speedo for the first time since I got the bike.

sounds good man! looking forward for whats to come... hopefully i can ride with you come spring when my bike is finished! ;D

Finally at a point in my life where I have some time (not much) and finally lined myself up to get a motorcycle license. When I lived in Brooklyn I wasnt worried about driving without a license but I moved to NJ outside of the tunnel and things are tighter here.... Also want to sell my car to free up some cash to get working on the bike again!

Kinda want to get new rear spings, new wheels (spokes perhaps?) and tires, and KINDA thinking of a new carb. and definitely a lot of paint and copper work. Unburied a lot of shit from this project from a box last week. Gotta get that headlight mount worked out!

Getting my license next week after I take the course. Time to get my ass moving!

Sweet bike man, the wrap looks good. On another note Rocan let me know if your going down to Atalanta anytime soon i live a few hours away and have wanted to meet some of the DTT guys in person, and also meet you , not in a creepy way or anything but i have been following your cafe build and thought it would be cool to meet you.

Why were you and rocan not at the VinMoto show last sunday?

I was talking to a few guys about going down to barber but nothing solid yet....kinda wanta go

Back
Top Bottom