1972 CL 350 Cafe Project

Rgrpfdr1

Geronimoooooooooooooooo!!!!
Starting my first Cafe project. I've been lurking for a while, taking notes and getting items gathered together. I'm so happy I found this site, it's absolutly the best one out there, full of great info and helpfull individuals.

Now I'm ready to start the process, and I feel a bit like a kid. I recently purchased a running '72 CL 350, with title. I also picked up a '71 CB 350 frame, with an out of state title. I got the '72 tag and title put in my name, but need to build the '71 before transfering it's title because the DMV wants to see a bike, not just a frame. So, my plan is to strip the running '72 CL and build up the '71 frame.

My first step was to take the '71 frame to Rick Breckon of Royal Weld Mfg, of Longwood, FL. He's going to strengthen the frame, cut off the brackets I won't use and weld on the ones I'll need. I came across his name in an online article about building Cafes', so I decided to give him a call as he's local to my area. He's got a wealth of experience with the CB 350s. We spent over an hour discussing different options and he showed me around his shop. Once again, I felt like a kid in a candy shop!

So, while he's working on the frame, my next move is to find a front end. I'll be replacing the steering column bearings and looking for a front end with 35mm forks. I'd like to do the upgrade mainly for the disk breaks, but will definitly be using spoked rims, so if anyone has ideas please let me know. I've looked through the forum and read a lot on the subject, but I always enjoy hearing the latest comments/ideas.

???
How do I post pictures? I've made several attempts, but each time the site responds with "file too large". A little help would be appreciated. Is there a way to make the files smaller, or do I need to change some setting inside my camera?

Also, anyone in Florida? I'm in Orlando, but don't know many people here and would like to find some that are into these bikes.

Are you using photobucket? I think there's a way to reduce the size upon uploading. Or turn the resolution down a notch on your camera.

You have some of DTT's greatest in your backyard! I'm sure there's more, but CrazyPJ, Thompsonmx, and Dime City Cycles are all located in Florida.

This is what I'm starting with

Attachments

• In the beginning-1.jpg
    In the beginning-1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 376
Big R said:
Are you using photobucket? I think there's a way to reduce the size upon uploading. Or turn the resolution down a notch on your camera.

You have some of DTT's greatest in your backyard! I'm sure there's more, but CrazyPJ, Thompsonmx, and Dime City Cycles are all located in Florida.

Thanks Big R! Photobucket did the trick!

why are you having the work done on the 72 frame? Why not just use the frame that you have titled and in your name? It seems like an awfully big risk to dump money into a frame where there is a possibility (however remote) that you cant title it.

boomshakalaka said:
why are you having the work done on the 72 frame? Why not just use the frame that you have titled and in your name? It seems like an awfully big risk to dump money into a frame where there is a possibility (however remote) that you cant title it.

I have the title for the 2nd frame and got it from a reputable source, so I'm not so worried about getting it put in my name, but you have a valid point. If, by some chance I cannot get it titled in my name then I can still use the original frame. It seemed like a good idea to have a fresh frame to put the parts onto once I finished cleaning them.

Staffy said:
??? What's the poll for ???

Originally for input on the front end. I tried to get rid of it, but couldn't so I left it up. I'll change it up soon, when I'm undecided on an issue.

Can anyone give me input/ideas on moving the battery to the rear of the bike? Rear tire clearance is one concern I have, and I don't want a bubble ass larger than my tank either. :) How low can I go before I interfere with the rear tire's clearance? Would it be a good idea to reduce the physical size of the battery by going with two 6volts?

I'm tired so this is gonna be quick - most people get a smaller "high performance" battery of some type.

And I think it was CrazyPJ that put a battery in the orginal tool box behind the motor.

Thanks for the battery idea. I called the local Interstate Battery and they had what I was looking for...for $150+!! I'll keep looking, I'm sure there's something less expensive out there. In the mean time I got the bike off the ground and removed the front tire. The shoes looked good, but I ordered a new set any way. My problem now lies with the oil seal and bearings. Can anyone tell me what the best way is to remove these items? Do I cut out the old seal, buy a tool for removing the old bearings and install the new ones I got? I ordered a new oil seal, though it's for a CB and not a CL. If I've done my research correctly it should fit.

Labled, disconnected and removed everything in the head light bucket. Found one black wire connected at one end to a junction, then was hanging out of the bucket, taped off. I have no idea where it goes, so I'll look it up on some schematics. Pulled off the center stand, passenger pegs and speedometer. Started on the handle bars and found some repairs to the throttle side wiring, So I may just replace them completely. Will post pics later.

sorry to threadjack but this thread is like so many for me. i can't see the pictures, and most of the avatars are little blue squares with question marks in the middle. is it just me? does this forum not play nice with safari? some avatars show up and some don't. some attached photos show up, but most don't. photobucket pics (and other linked photos) show up with no problem. it's kind of annoying 'cause i'd like to see what people are working with and doing. any ideas?

It's because of DTT switching from GoDaddy as a server. It's now possible to reload pics to avatars, but photobucket works best for everything IMO

Rgrpfdr1 said:
I have the title for the 2nd frame and got it from a reputable source, so I'm not so worried about getting it put in my name, but you have a valid point. If, by some chance I cannot get it titled in my name then I can still use the original frame. It seemed like a good idea to have a fresh frame to put the parts onto once I finished cleaning them.

sorry if Im missing something really simple, but I still just dont understand why you would want to involve a second frame in this project. What is wrong with the CL frame from the running bike?

Nothing. I just thought it would be nice/easy to have a frame prepped and ready when I got the bike stripped. It also gives me a frame for my 2nd project.

Rgrpfdr1 said:
Nothing. I just thought it would be nice/easy to have a frame prepped and ready when I got the bike stripped. It also gives me a frame for my 2nd project.

So you're starting with a good painted frame and adding all your parts to it off the other bike as you go? Makes sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom