~1935 Hardinge Cataract Bench Lathe Restoration

xb33bsa said:
collets are used instead of a jawed chuck to hold different sized and shaped barstock..
quite handy for production runs

Ok I lied a bit, collet I knew, it was" to go with the draw bar on the back" that got me

The wooden handle on the back of the headstock, should be connected to a hollow steel tube with (fine) threads on the inside, just behind the chuck (as it sits in the picture). You screw a collet into the drawbar (inside the headstock) and by moving the wooden handle to the left, clamp a piece of round material of an appropriate diameter to the collet and it is held firmly to work. ;)

From the pics, I can't tell how the three-jaw chuck is mounted. They are usually mounted with three half-turn-quick-disconnect thingies. ::) (how is that for technical terminology?) ;D
But are sometimes bolted on from the rear (opposite side from the chucks jaws).

Spent a little time on this today.
By a little I mean all day. Maple is such a huge bitch to sand.
Anyway here's the top:
null_zps470c33e3.jpg

After getting a coat of tung oil on it (it was so saturated with oil from years and years of use that it never would have held any varnish) I sanded down the base, ad the wood is maple as well, but a lot less attractive maple so it ended up getting a coat of flat black paint. The side boards were replaced with walnut.
null_zpse7d77a35.jpg

Great work on the bench Sonic! Cant wait to see what the lathe will look like all freshened up on that bench

JustinLonghorn said:
Furniture is your trade, correct?

Correct sir ;D

I'll probably "borrow" the design from this and build some kitchen islands like it because its just way cool.

VonYinzer said:
Beautiful machine. Paint it battleship grey.
yThat was probably the original colour. You'll probably find lead or brass as a filler, (if there is any) plastic fillers were not used in 1930's

crazypj said:
yThat was probably the original colour. You'll probably find lead or brass as a filler, (if there is any) plastic fillers were not used in 1930's

Ya know... I was thinking the same. Be real effin' careful stripping it. That lead in no bueno.

There is no filler it's just a nice casting.

But lead is delightful I don't know what you guys are talking about. I routinely snort a mixture of lead and mercury, gives a great rush.

null_zps074b5145.jpg

Slowly stripping.
Sure was a bitch to tear apart. 3 huge bearings as about 5000 smacks with a dead blow later and it's apart.

That will make it eazy to throw away when you cant figure out how to put it back together

This lathe came from the factory with a 2 speed 1/2 HP motor.
Underneath it currently is a 90% burned out single speed 1/2 HP from the 50's.
Considering I plan on actually using this lathe and not just making it pretty/returning it to stock I decided a little upgrade was in order.

Enter this puppy:
2.5 HP variable speed DC motor, the advantage of DC is that is still makes great torque down at the low RPM's

20 bucks on CL because the belt came off the tensioner. (people are so stupid and ignorant of mechanical things, within 30 seconds of seeing it I knew what was wrong)

Anyway..

I tore it all apart and Cleaned up the wiring to be only what I need and that comes down to this:

About 45 minutes to tear it apart and figure out the wiring, splice a couple wires, and get it running.
Next step is to figure out how to get a pulley on it, it spins at 7000 RPMS at full speed I'd like it to spin the lathe about 2500 max so I'll need a pulley about 6" in diameter.

I'm wondering if I can get this thing spinning real fast and secured well and then take a lathe tool to it and spin the shaft down to 7/8 or so so I can get a pre made pulley on it? Any input here?

This is just too dang cool. I don't know if the excitement increases because it's buried in a bike restoration forum, but I can't wait to see it. I want to drive to your place when it is done and stare at it.

Back
Top Bottom