Nissan engines suck, changed head gasket and the exhaust can broke so scrapyard

Re: Nissan engine help!!!

Don't you just love all the "modern convenience"?
In the old days all of this shit would have been condensed down to "clean the carb"

LOL yep, everytime I have to work on the newest of the vehicles I wish I was working on the oldest cause it is so much easier to know what is wrong. I spent hours doing all the tests laid out in the service manual, I am so glad I wasn't paying a shop to do it, I'd be out 3-400 bucks and still not have it running right!

Maritime said:
LOL yep, everytime I have to work on the newest of the vehicles I wish I was working on the oldest cause it is so much easier to know what is wrong. I spent hours doing all the tests laid out in the service manual, I am so glad I wasn't paying a shop to do it, I'd be out 3-400 bucks and still not have it running right!
Yep, I don't have the time or energy to chase new car problems so I made the mistake of sending my truck to the dealer last year. 1000 bucks later I had a new ECU (after they bricked the first one) and a new MAF. A whopping 89 dollars worth of parts had I just done all the troubleshooting myself.

That hurts. My wife said as I was swearing away in the garage, why don't we just take it to the shop, I said ok, do you have 500 bucks I don't know about, cause that's what it will cost for them do do exactly what I just got done doing and they still won't have it fixed. She hates hearing me get pissed off at the cars. I usually vent while fixing them. Bikes on the other hand are therapy and even when acting up, never seem to piss me off like the stupid cars do. ;D

Maritime said:
That hurts. My wife said as I was swearing away in the garage, why don't we just take it to the shop, I said ok, do you have 500 bucks I don't know about, cause that's what it will cost for them do do exactly what I just got done doing and they still won't have it fixed. She hates hearing me get pissed off at the cars. I usually vent while fixing them. Bikes on the other hand are therapy and even when acting up, never seem to piss me off like the stupid cars do. ;D

That's just the world telling you that two wheels always trump four.

My neighbor has an old Model T, and has had it for a couple years now. He still doesn't know how to get it running properly. So old cars aren't always the way to go either ....

Now if every car had an air cooled motorcycle engine, we would have it easy.

So on the drive to Crappy Tire and back the CEL came back on, so I hooked up the scanner thinking same codes to clear, not this time, got idle air speed higher then expected and Evap large leak, there is definately something up with the sensors connect to the TB. I'll check my service manual and see what to look at for those codes too. I didn't use the cleaner yet as I need one of the f'n torx bits with the hole in to to pull the sensor. FFS I need to buy another tool I'll use once for this stupid truck, Will check with my buddy first though hope he has needed one already.

or grab a torx bit and drill a hole in it ;$

Having xtrail issues of my own now. Its a 2005 and we were trying to hang onto it until my car was paid off in January but it had other ideas. Won't start any more, I think its the park-neutral switch but no desire or money to fix it. :( Down to one car now for the next few months.

Hope you have better luck than I'm having with mine.

SONIC. said:
or grab a torx bit and drill a hole in it ;$
Yep, I thought of that but I don't have a drill press, I have to check $$ if they aren;t too pricey I'll get one, if more then a couple bucks I will remove the heads with a die grinder and replace with regular hex heads.

HerrDeacon said:
Having xtrail issues of my own now. Its a 2005 and we were trying to hang onto it until my car was paid off in January but it had other ideas. Won't start any more, I think its the park-neutral switch but no desire or money to fix it. :( Down to one car now for the next few months.

Hope you have better luck than I'm having with mine.

Oh no Perry you have one of these shit boxes too. I HATE it but I cannot afford to get another car right now and we tried to trade it and they offered 500 bucks. Well as much as I hate it I can get a lot more then 500 out of it use wise. There are no parts outside of dealer bend you over and rape you prices for so many parts of these things, you are ok when the part was in another vehicle but anything specific to the X forget it. I have been lucky to get some junk yard finds and just found out rockauto in the states has parts because they sold them in Mexico too.

Dont know if I am way off here...but my VW did this "miss" on start up and then cleared up and it ended up being a head gasket leaking and dripping into the cylinder over night...

1fasgsxr said:
Dont know if I am way off here...but my VW did this "miss" on start up and then cleared up and it ended up being a head gasket leaking and dripping into the cylinder over night...

You're not way off, I did all the tests for head gasket and it is ok, but it is a culprit in these types of issues for sure. I am not losing oil, oil not contaminated, compression is all good and no coolant in exhaust etc.

I'm coming in late on this one, but try unplugging the MAF from the computer. It should force the ECU to go into open loop mode and ignore all the sensors (the car will run directly from pre-programmed fueling maps). Fuel economy will be down a bit, but it should rule out any sensor issues if the car runs well with the MAF unplugged.

Mine was that way until it started leaking enough to start showing up in the exhaust drove me nuts !!

Sonreir said:
I'm coming in late on this one, but try unplugging the MAF from the computer. It should force the ECU to go into open loop mode and ignore all the sensors (the car will run directly from pre-programmed fueling maps). Fuel economy will be down a bit, but it should rule out any sensor issues if the car runs well with the MAF unplugged.

Thanks Matt. I can try that on the way home from work maybe.

1fasgsxr said:
Mine was that way until it started leaking enough to start showing up in the exhaust drove me nuts !!

Oh I know, I did the gasket on my civic, it was just off for a bit until one day I found oil in the coolant and had to do the gasket. I can do the gasket on the X if and when it shit's the bed. parts are cheap and I have no problems ripping the head off and fixing it if it comes to that, so long as the rest of the truck holds up. We need to get until next fall out of it then we can likely handle payments on something to replace it.

1fasgsxr said:

This. Borescope and radiator pressure tester. I have seen leaky injectors do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom