72' CL350 nickle and dime time

emcarthu

Been Around the Block
well not quite a killing machine yet but will soon be with A LOT more work anyway, I bought this bike in the summer in good mechanical shape and poor cosmetic shape (just what i needed) and tore it down pretty much right away. an influx of funds has brought me to this point now where i can start buying stuff ;D for now i working on the seat which will start from this rd400 tank.
CIMG0004-1.jpg

started cutting it promptly.
CIMG0006.jpg

it's a shame it was so clean inside :'(
CIMG0010.jpg

more cutting...
CIMG0009.jpg

basic shape.
CIMG0013.jpg

CIMG0011.jpg

gonna cut off everything visible underneath the rear end of the bump next and finish mounting the tank. (the front is in)

Re: 72' CL350 "KILLING MACHINE"

It's a shame to cut up such a clean tank, but it is making a killer seat!

Big R said:
It's a shame to cut up such a clean tank, but it is making a killer seat!

+1

love the yamaha knee indent tanks but what you've made looks great!

thanks you guys, having the same tank to start with as the one i'm using for the gas tank really helps it flow together. But it's amazing how very little tank I actually used. I'm getting sheet metal this week so more pictures to come.

this is how i decided to handle my rear sets. their just stock from a 2002 gsxr used one of the holes on this bracket (the purpose of i already forgot) and welded on a small section to accommodate the second bracket. nice and sturdy.
CIMG0015.jpg

sorry more phone pics but I finished putting the motor back together this weekend.

nice and organized
CIMG0026.jpg

new rings and cam roller
CIMG0028.jpg

trying not to drop the cam chain back into the motor
CIMG0029.jpg

found out you need to support the cam and keep it taught when doing the timing or the chain will come off the teeth on the lower sprocket and mess you all up. lesson learned.
CIMG0031.jpg

gaps set
CIMG0033.jpg

new points set
CIMG0035.jpg

all new friction plates for the clutch
CIMG0036.jpg

motor isn't really green like it looks in the pictures but is a charcoal color, not sure if it will stay that way or if i'll paint the polished side covers. open for suggestions.
CIMG0041.jpg

Looking good! Got a CL myself. Is that a metal cam roller? Thats what I wanted but couldn't source one, thought about making one, but changed my mind. Nice looking shop there too btw.

looks great!

i have to ask though...

why all that work and no electronic ignition? points work great, dont get me wrong, its just the electric system makes life a lot easier down the road... pun fully intended.

MrBerner said:
How did you get your motor so clean??!!! its beatiful!!!

Yeah, how did you do it? Got a dip tank with industrial degreaser or something?

Rocan said:
why all that work and no electronic ignition?

i guess the electronic ignition just wasn't in the budget right now. but is definitely something I'm considering "down the road" ;)

as for the cleanliness of the motor nothing out of the ordinary. it didn't hurt that when we cracked it open it was full of perfect golden oil and looked immaculate inside. who ever had it before me took GOOD care of it.

kadavenport said:
Is that a metal cam roller? Thats what I wanted but couldn't source one, thought about making one, but changed my mind.

yeah sure is a metal cam roller. ordered it from http://www.cappellinimoto.it/ turned out to be not much more than replacing the original cam roller set up as well. hope it worth it anyway... :-\

Love the gray engine, polished sides, and freaking LOVe the shape of the seat. Damn near perfect lines mate...

should have everything to finish the seat soon, so more pictures to come.

what a great build! i love that tank idea for the seat! just genious!!!

Very nice, you've got quite the nice working area man. Its funny to see A can of Mtn Dew in your pictures, reminds me of many late nights working on our CB350's. Hopefully we'll be catching you out at the Cafe Racer meets this Spring.

Back
Top Bottom