CB450 Summer 16 update

Re: CB450 "The Doctor" First time build

Better way to post pics is to upload them to photobucket.com (free) and paste the IMG links in your posts here. Nice big pics and you can paste the links over and over in other posts.

locO leoN said:
I LOVE IT!!... VERY COOL!!

yes indeed. Did you just wrap the original cylinder? Is it glued on? Great idea.

ian

Holy crap, I love that starter.

I love Dr.Pepper and have tons of cans all over the house.. crap, now I got bad ideas.
I fear that in a few days my whole house will be wrapped in cans.

Good work on the 450, keep it up!

Man you have a lot going on here, got all the makings of a nice well thought out build. Just stick with Noel's tutelage and you'll have a shiny clean ride that oozes class... or at least something really mean looking.

thanks guys!
I actually just cut a can up with a dremel after I clear coated it and wrapped it around. put a little silicone in there for good measure. really wanted a seventies can off ebay, but cant justify the 15-25 bucks for an empty can with the shipping. ill probably swap it out for one eventually when break down and get it.

pbucket test

wire.jpg

Got my powder back, so I put the engine in
IMG-20110312-00178.jpg

IMG-20110312-00181.jpg

Here's some of the parts I got done. He stripped the chrome right off the rims and coated them. They turned out fantastic, even the dings in them are not very noticeable. VERY happy. Just waiting on spokes and nipples from Mr. Dutra. 8)
IMG-20110312-00180.jpg

IMG-20110312-00179.jpg

Hopefully I get to putting together my swingarm and forks next week. By then my DCC order should be in, and hopefully my spokes will be in and I really can attack this thing.

fresh powder is always nice. Marks the start of the 'putting back together' stage ;)

looking good.

ian

Got my tapered bearings in the steering column and TT back together for the time being. I think its fine and dandy. A concern with the stock headlight ears, as when the forks are in, and the ears are on, there is like a 1/4 space between the top of the ear and the bottom of the top TT. Ill have to fill it with a rubber spacer of some sort. I was missing some rubber rings from those stock ears as well, top and bottom, must have gotten tossed with the old gaitors. good thing i found someone with some spares. Hopefully he comes through for me on Monday
IMG-20110319-00213.jpg

You can see my battery box i made, and hammered the brackets to form fit into the frame. its a pretty good fit, ill go over it with a fine tooth comb next week and try to get that little twist out of it. I may not even bother. I have to fit the 2 little brackets on it for some electrical parts, that were on the original battery box as well. then prime and paint it.

IMG-20110319-00215.jpg

IMG-20110319-00216.jpg

I also finished up my hubs and new bearings. the long spacer in between the bearings was giving me some trouble. i guess it was too tight against the bearings which caused it to shift or something inside the hub and was getting a not so nice free rotation of my shaft. i just kinda created a little more space and it freed right up and is nice and smooth now.
spokes are supposed to be in this week hopefully, then i have to pick them up and drop off the hubs and spokes and tires off for assembly.
after that...rest of the handlebar/gauges/brakes i suppose.

Doesnt seem like I havnt posted in 30 days...anyways
Today was a momentous day, it was nice out, got a sunburn, and put my wheels on. Have a look.
Whats left on the list is wiring, a couple welds on the new battery box, and paint it, my gauge cluster is painted and ready for assembly, my tank (although I was going to paint it , I quickly fell in love with the rustic look in the picture, I will need convincing to paint it now), rig up my chain, rig up my new headlight assembly (which is all ready to go), suit up my handlebars, wiring, and fasten things down.
I am anticipating a 3 week until turnkey. exciting.

It's looking great! I'm going this route with my bike although it's slooooooow going. Can't wait to see yours finished.

Chopped a few inches off my rear fender, made 2 good rear indicators out of the 4 that used to be on there, mounted up my gauges and bar. sorry about the bad pictures.
When I put my gauges together, for some reason the chrome piece doesnt secure snuggly to the gauge. I am pretty sure its not supposed to bounce around in there. Perhaps my rubbers are too mashed up to get a good solid seal? I checked it over with the assembly diagram and I am sure I put it together right. Im a little confused. Id rather not silicone it all up.
IMG-20110429-00312.jpg

IMG-20110429-00315.jpg

IMG-20110429-00311.jpg

IMG-20110429-00316.jpg

Got half way through my electricals, finished up the controls, got a few layers of paint on the tank. It is coming along now, getting close.
Still have to do the back half of the electricals and a couple cables, plop the carbs back in, finish the paint on the tank and the battery box and some minor but back togethers. i estimate fire up in 4 more rebuild days.

IMG-20110528-00363.jpg

IMG-20110528-00364.jpg

IMG-20110528-00365.jpg

IMG-20110528-00366.jpg

IMG-20110528-00362.jpg

I might need to put my headlight in , and my exhaust on as well, on second thought.
The colour is deep cherry metallic, just a temp paint job until i get it professionally done next year probably. Sunk too much money into it since I picked it up.
The and wiring are just heatshunk and or wrapped in red electrical tape. I got addicted to that stuff and started wrapping everything in it. Im really happy with how its looking these days.

Adamantium said:
Im really happy with how its looking these days.

As well you should be. That's a very nice lookin' bike.

Well done.
ian

Finished painting my tank and added my decal and clear coated over it. Still chipping away at my wiring and trying to figure out where all these ground wires and cable hook brackets go

IMG-20110603-00368.jpg

IMG-20110603-00371.jpg

IMG-20110603-00369.jpg

Back
Top Bottom