Xs500 project

Uglyrabbit

Hi all, thought I'd share my project. It has been ongoing for a while. The bike had been sitting for 20+ years in my uncle's basement, the fuel went bad and seized the engine.
I stripped it down to the frame and decided to do a cafe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 907
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 933
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 924
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 911
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 909
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 927
The wheels have been pitched in favor of some rd350 wheels. The swing arm has bronze bushings and the steering stem has tapered roller bearings. The frame was detabbed and blasted then epoxy primed and painted semi gloss black.

I installed my kickstand but I'm unsure if the peanut shaped clip is on correctly.
Anyone know if this is correct?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 790
Cleaned-up my fork brace and chain tensioners.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 826
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 808
Uglyrabbit said:
I installed my kickstand but I'm unsure if the peanut shaped clip is on correctly.
Anyone know if this is correct?

When you find out let us know because I think mine is wrong also LOL it's like the old DUCs you take weight off it and stand snaps up ! Which is not always good LOL

I looked at the yamaha parts diagram and it looks as if it should go the other way, but it is curved so i put the curve toward the bolt. I thought that was the reason for the curve.

I cut out I seat pan. I just need to make up my mind on a tail section.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 643
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 643
Your seet pan looks awfully long. Perhaps a bit deceiving without the tires mounted, but generally cafe racers have the riders bum just about the shock or even a bit forward. By the time that bum stop stops yours you'd be doing a wheelie!!

I don't like the look if the tail being too short. I want the tail to end at the same length or just shy of the rear rim. Like the yellow Kenny roberts bike above.

You would need a longer tank on it to reach that look ! Just for fun if you can pull the pan off and slide the tail just so it's over the rear axle might help some ???

Ok so I'm wrong it is over the axle LOL maybe a bit farther ??

You would need a longer tank on it to reach that look ! Just for fun if you can pull the pan off and slide the tail just so it's over the rear axle might help some

I'm going to trim the section between the tail and seat pan, then section the tail in 1/2 because it is too wide. I want it to be the same width as the seat pan, not wider.

Back
Top Bottom