GS650E First build

I encoutered slightly corroded jets in my bike. (green like corrosion on brass parts).
I used jet reamers to clean out those holes. Do that by reaming the holes till you stop finding green residue on your reamers, than you've hit the stock size. Make sure your carb cleaner squirts out of all corresponding holes when spraying down a passage. (clean spray, not dripping)

Thanks for the help guys. I quickly learned a ton from forums, my clymer manual and other various places to correct a few issues. I found I wasn't getting gas into the carbs so I started there. My petcock wasn't opening from the vacuum on the carb so I corrected that issue and had plenty of fuel in the carbs. I could get the bike to start with starter fluid and determined that the pod filters were giving WAY to much air (I know, POD filters are discouraged, lesson learned) The air/fuel mixture was VERY lean, so I upped my pilot and main jet a good bit. I moved the main jet from 97.5 to 110 and I could get the engine to rev all the way with little hesitation. I upped my pilot jet from 42.5 to 47.5 due to a starting issue. Both have resolved most of my issues. I found that under load, the bike didn't want to pull through the high end of the RPM range, so I just got slightly larger main jets 115. Hopefully this corrects that issue. While out on my second ride, the battery drained completely and I have to work through a charging issue now :( I just want to ride the damn thing and not worry hahaha. So close.

Attachments

• 0711162055[1].jpg
    0711162055[1].jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 325
Looking good! Thanks for the larger picture. The tank looks pretty good for just a wrap. Although painting them yourself isn't very hard if you ever want to go that route.

Yup these bikes are known for their shoddy charging systems. Here is a link that will help: http://www.thegsresources.com/statorpapers1.php

Aftermarket stators are available as well for a reasonable price, as well as used on eBay for cheap (but you get what you pay for). I'll be doing the stator on my GS this week.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I got the stator issue figured out. I think there was a slight issue with the ground and where I had the positive connected. I hooked up a 30amp fuse and hooked it directly to the battery, seems to be charging (checked with the volt meter). Just tried to go for a ride but I am still fighting the fuel issue. I have taken the carbs off a number of times and played with jetting. I think I have the main and pilot jets figured out but the bike wants to cut out around mid throttle. I don't think there is an adjustment on the needle, so how could I go about "shimming" that? I need to pull them off (yet again) and do a double take. I'm open to ideas!

So you ended up connecting the hot wire from the R/R through a fuse and to the (+) on battery? Did you ground the R/R to the batt as well?

You will NEVER get the jetting right until you throw away those shitty Emgo pods. They partially block important openings in the mouth of the carbs. Not only that, they are metal mesh, and fine dust goes right through them.

Get the correct K&N pods and save yourself some drama.

Hi, new here, working on a gs1000. Your bike looks great!
I'm wondering if you have any pictures of what you did with all the electronics in the rear triangle and any advice on moving those under the seat?
I was thinking I could pretty much just flip that panel up to lay under the seat. I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920T using DO THE TON mobile app

hillsy said:
Why did you cut the frame above the rear engine mounts?

Yeah, that looks questionable, doesn't it. There should be some gusseting at key points, I would think.

AlphaDogCustoms said:
Yeah, that looks questionable, doesn't it. There should be some gusseting at key points, I would think.

The frame had a notch cut out of one side when I purchased it. I decided to match sides and reinforced the part under the tank with an extra sheet of metal and welded around the entire thing, so it's not really concerning me.

Is that a Dime City seat? I was just looking at one similar.... Also, did you get the jetting worked out? I have a '78 750 I am working on now and the carb issues are looming. Have Vance & Hines 4-1 and pods on the way. Final numbers on your jets would be super helpful.

hi,
like the way the colours blend from tank to seat to frame

black rose wrap is nice

what colour is the powdercoat? looks like its got a hint of something in the black from here..

cheers

Thanks! The frame is powder coated with something similar to Oiled Bronze. I had the company tweak it just a little. It has a little gold flek in it. I would have liked to do the entire frame the same as the wheels but they only had enough color to do the wheels.

bobdizzle said:
Hi, new here, working on a gs1000. Your bike looks great!
I'm wondering if you have any pictures of what you did with all the electronics in the rear triangle and any advice on moving those under the seat?
I was thinking I could pretty much just flip that panel up to lay under the seat. I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920T using DO THE TON mobile app

Sorry for the late response. I removed ALL wiring and did my own. I drew the wiring layout over and over until i thought I had the most simple and clean way of doing it. If I were to do it over, I would buy about 10 different colors of wires ( I only used 5). It made it tough when trouble shooting. A small fuse block would have been a huge help and I wish I blocked off the back side of everything. If I ride on a wet day, water and crap can splash onto the underside of the wiring and battery. (happens on every bike, but it would provide peace of mind). I found a really helpfull link that talked about creating one "backbone" hot wire and putting everything off of that.

I just got the bike out for the 3rd time all summer and it reminded me of this question.

Back
Top Bottom