Tell me why I SHOULDN'T move to Asheville, NC...

runmikeyrun

Been Around the Block
Street riding looks great. Weather looks great (I hate Ohio weather). Enduro riding looks great. Large local hospital system (I'm an RN and firefighter/medic). Deals Gap. Blue Ridge Mountains. Beach is a lot closer than Ohio.

Any vintage bike shops/riders/culture? Decent music scene? How far would I be from a city that regularly has bike shows and national band concerts?

I went as a kid to visit a grandfather and I remember it being pretty awesome as far as scenery and terrain. I'm 38 years old, single, and have no ties here anymore... and I don't want to rot the rest of my life away in Ohio, I've had enough of just about everything here.

I'm also open to suggestions for other places. Not looking for a high rent district, need money for toys lol. I hate high heat/humidity and extreme cold/snow.

Thanks guys!

runmikeyrun said:
Street riding looks great. Weather looks great (I hate Ohio weather). Enduro riding looks great. Large local hospital system (I'm an RN and firefighter/medic). Deals Gap. Blue Ridge Mountains. Beach is a lot closer than Ohio.

Any vintage bike shops/riders/culture? Decent music scene? How far would I be from a city that regularly has bike shows and national band concerts?

I went as a kid to visit a grandfather and I remember it being pretty awesome as far as scenery and terrain. I'm 38 years old, single, and have no ties here anymore... and I don't want to rot the rest of my life away in Ohio, I've had enough of just about everything here.

I'm also open to suggestions for other places. Not looking for a high rent district, need money for toys lol. I hate high heat/humidity and extreme cold/snow.

Thanks guys!
I can only tell you why you SHOULD:
-It's only about 45-60 mins away from myself and Mr. E and we need some more local friends that wrench and ride.
-Awesome music scene. Awesome.
-There's a bit of everything in Asheville, from hipsters to hippies, to people that just don't care. The arts and diversity are beautiful if you're into that kinda scene. (I love it)
- There's amazing riding area all around. 'Nuf said.
-There's a handful of local guys that are pretty hardcore about their passion for wrenching and the cafe/customization scene, but as people they're laid back and fun to be around.
-Craft beer. There's a TON of local Breweries with great music.
-Nearby are the annuals: Meltdown Vintage Bike Fest (Hendersonville in April), then Cyclemania (Charlotte in May), then Barber (Alabama in October- can be there in about 5 hrs, same as the beach). There's a bunch of other smaller annual ones too. There's a newer one called XS Southeast in Robbinsville in Sept that will be doing the Tail of the Dragon and surrounding areas over a 4 day weekend. This will be our first year doing that one.
Plus... you'd be closer for the misc Do The Ton get-togethers.

E and I host random cookouts/campouts throughout the year for bike friends to come hang out, drink good beer, eat good food, play with dirtbikes, camp, etc.

Yep. You should move. :)

Ok this sounds good... I played in metal and hardcore bands for 25 years, just "retired" last year but I still need to catch many of the mid-level touring hardcore/metal acts but I didn't want to drive 100 miles for shows. Seems like the bands I like stopped coming to Ohio in the last few years. We didn't even get the Clutch/Mastodon/Graveyard/Big business tour! I'd have to drive to Pittsburgh, Cincy or Detroit for most anything. Wtf.

Its not my intent to irritate anyone here but I don't have anything in common with most Ohioans. I'm not a god fearing gun toting kind of person. I'm tired of the attitudes and always feeling like I'm some kind of weirdo because I have ink.

I have to finish my bachelors (next may) and save up enough to move from my current situation (still living with the ex) and also purchase basically an entire house worth of stuff lol. so I'm guessing a couple years. I have plenty of time to come and explore though, so that's good.

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

runmikeyrun said:
Ok this sounds good... I played in metal and hardcore bands for 25 years, just "retired" last year but I still need to catch many of the mid-level touring hardcore/metal acts but I didn't want to drive 100 miles for shows. Seems like the bands I like stopped coming to Ohio in the last few years. We didn't even get the Clutch/Mastodon/Graveyard/Big business tour! I'd have to drive to Pittsburgh, Cincy or Detroit for most anything. Wtf.

Its not my intent to irritate anyone here but I don't have anything in common with most Ohioans. I'm not a god fearing gun toting kind of person. I'm tired of the attitudes and always feeling like I'm some kind of weirdo because I have ink.

I have to finish my bachelors (next may) and save up enough to move from my current situation (still living with the ex) and also purchase basically an entire house worth of stuff lol. so I'm guessing a couple years. I have plenty of time to come and explore though, so that's good.

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.
There's lots of the God fearing, gun toting types around. But there's a ton of inked up folks who are pretty great. Occasionally, you'll find some inked up, God fearing, gun toting folks. Those are always fun. Ha
I do like Ohio for Mid-O and for Peace, Love, and Little Donuts in Canal Fulton. ;D

I grew up on the SC border, about 10 min from haircutter girl and E. I'm one of the peeps that comes around. I've been into punk and hardcore most of my life (since the early 80s). I hung around mostly in Greenville and Spartanburg, both of which are just an hour or so away. Forbes rated Greenville in the top 10 most economical cities to live. My grandmother, now retired, was an RN and a Director of Nursing for her career. She was at St Lukes in Tryon (where Jenn and E live) for a stretch of her time. The area is amazing. Asheville itself is slap in the middle of Knoxville and Charlotte. Atlanta and Athens are 2 - 2.5 hours away. Charleston is about 3.5 - 4 hours away. Columbia is about 2.5 hours and has it's own share of good things going on. It's really a good place to be. Our family is from Detroit area, and we migrated there in the 70's. I'm in Augusta, Ga now, but that's only because work brought me here. I'll eventually end up back in that area as soon as the wife finishes her new degree.

there are some cool people that hide out in asheville

the best tube amp and speaker guy i know in the whole business is there

max lives there also and he is the best sound board repair tech on the planet

so a lot of band people circulate thru there frequently

This just sounds better the more you guys talk about it.

I used to build guitar effects and tube amps, so it would be kinda neat to meet the amp guru, even though I don't build anymore since I stopped playing.

Mid Ohio is fun but it has REALLY changed. I've gone every year since 2000 and prices have skyrocketed, mostly due to ebay I'm sure, but the types of parts/bikes have changed a lot too. Last year I barely found much of anything for my CB350 project, that's downright strange to me. Also the ticket prices are completely ridiculous now. At least the races are still good, but the weather is either Vietnam or Monsoon season in July, so I usually don't last more than a couple hours after I cruise the vendors.

As for the donut shop, I work about 20 mins from Canal Fulton so I'm gonna have to scope that out.

While i'm bummed that having to purchase an entire house worth of furniture electronics etc pretty much rules out finishing my CB project and probably the purchase of a Bolt sometimes life dictates what ya gotta do. I'm grateful that I'm going to have the opportunity to relocate. My exwife just informed me she and my daughter are moving to Georgia in July of this year so I'll be closer to my daughter.

I hope at some point to come check out the area, ride there if possible. I will give you all a heads up, maybe you can show me some points of interest lol. Probably won't be until next year when I have vacation time and can line up some job interviews while I am there.

Thanks again.

Asheville is cool but has become expensive. And the job market is shit. Nail down a gig before you move. Downtown, and even further out, rent is insane. The super shadey parts of town are now trendy. I moved out of Asheville when I realized that 30 min down the road I could afford a house w/ garage and not have roommates.

There are some cool little towns close to Asheville that are way affordable. Check out Black Mountain, Waynesville or Hendersonville. Still close enough for a run into Asheville for dinner and a show, and have money left for bikes.

I concur with what everyone else said. I live across the line in SC now but I've been visiting the Asheville area for many years. It's the only area of NC that I would consider moving back to, I love the mountains. It gets pretty touristy in the summer is the only downside I can see. Well, that and I don't North Carolina's government.

Asheville is pricey and NC taxes are high. I love the place, but traffic volume is a bother. TN and SC are far better deals and you still have the mountains. I investigated this myself before choosing North Georgia. Athens is one hour away from me and home to UGA. B52's and REM came from there. Atlanta is 90 minutes away and I have some of the best riding in the world right here! I can have rubber down on the Blue Ridge Parkway in 2 hours. Gainesville has some jobs 45 minutes away. I've got a motorcycle resort right up the road. Motorcycles are all over the place here all of the time. Kayaking, hiking, and trout fishing are good, too! UNG is here, too! I'm in Dahlonega.

panorama.jpg

jetmechmarty said:
Asheville is pricey and NC taxes are high. I love the place, but traffic volume is a bother. TN and SC are far better deals and you still have the mountains. I investigated this myself before choosing North Georgia. Athens is one hour away from me and home to UGA. B52's and REM came from there. Atlanta is 90 minutes away and I have some of the best riding in the world right here! I can have rubber down on the Blue Ridge Parkway in 2 hours. Gainesville has some jobs 45 minutes away. I've got a motorcycle resort right up the road. Motorcycles are all over the place here all of the time. Kayaking, hiking, and trout fishing are good, too! UNG is here, too! I'm in Dahlonega.

panorama.jpg

I can get down with that. I will be moving back to GA when the opportunity presents itself. Just gotta get the wife through school and find an aviation job down there.

john83 said:
I can get down with that. I will be moving back to GA when the opportunity presents itself. Just gotta get the wife through school and find an aviation job down there.
I would stay in SC. The taxes are much more friendly there. I live on the border in Augusta. A lot of people live in SC, but work in Georgia because of the taxes.

deviant said:
I would stay in SC. The taxes are much more friendly there. I live on the border in Augusta. A lot of people live in SC, but work in Georgia because of the taxes.

He wants an aviation job. He's going to Atlanta. UPS has a hub in Columbia.

jetmechmarty said:
He wants an aviation job. He's going to Atlanta. UPS has a hub in Columbia.
GSP is a free trade zone because of BMW. There are aviation jobs in other places.

I definitely don't want to live in the city. I want some space so no one complains about loud bikes and someone working in the garage. I get bothered easily by other people. One of the outlying towns sounds much better than insane rent. I will scope SC too. Georgia is gonna be getting too damn hot. I hate the heat and humidity!!!! One thing I liked most about the Asheville area was the weather.

Thanks everyone you guys are awesome!

runmikeyrun said:
I hate the heat and humidity!!!!
It still gets hot. It's the south. And dude, Asheville is in the middle of a temperate rain forest. The lower Appalachians is temperate rain forest. It's humid as fuck.

deviant said:
It still gets hot. It's the south. And dude, Asheville is in the middle of a temperate rain forest. The lower Appalachians is temperate rain forest. It's humid as fuck.

I guess I'd rather deal with humidity than the sub zero temps and snow we've had the last few winters here. As long as it's not Florida hot i'm gonna be ok with it.

I'll have to look into the titling issues. Thanks for the heads up on that.

deviant said:

You got that right. Up here, we're typically five degrees cooler than Atlanta. In the afternoon, the moisture emanating from the forests makes for thunderstorms popping up all over the place. Yep. It's steamy. Winter is nice and short. I love it. Asheville is just too crowded and expensive to suit me. Otherwise, this is my favorite part of the world, humidity and all.

In Georgia, you need no title to register a motor vehicle 1986 or older. NC isn't so lenient.

Yup, NC Tittling is a pain but it can be done.
Really you'll love it anywhere up in the mountains. Western NC, Upstate SC, North GA. All beautiful.
There's also East TN. Like Newport or Sieverville.
Still close to Asheville, but dirt cheap. Not as close to a beach though.

Back
Top Bottom