Best handling UMJ?

Orgoth225

Between the xs 650, xs750 triple, cb750 sohc, and the cb550, what would be the best handling of the 4? Outside of these 4 are there better choices for a 70's umj? Many thanks.

UJM...

And none of then handle for shit really. 70s suspension sucks. If I had to pick one though, it's the 550.

Which UJM can you handle is the real question. And even between the listed bikes, their handling improved throughout the years. Say a 1970 XS650 is not as stable as a 76 XS650, different swing arms, the braces on the frames were flimsy..er pre 75. Still Doc ^^ makes a good point. 70's suspension is not that good, but you can make improvements or learn how to ride a vintage bike without expecting modern handling.

Tires make a HUGE difference too. By comparison to period rubber, new rubber compounds make a drastic difference. 8)

That and tighten up the pivot points, decent shocks and fork improvements and have at it on any one of those bad boys! :D

Tim said:
Yup - CB550.

I'm a real fan of the Honda CB 550 (had several, still have the original I bought in 1977) BUT, the Kawasaki 550 has better handling and brakes stock (pre-GPZ monoshock)
Once modified, the CB550 is slightly better though as it's much more difficult to 'fix' something that was pretty good to start with
Lot of people may say CB400f, but to be honest, it needs a LOT (real lot) of work to handle well

I've read in numerous places that the late 70's Suzuki gs' were the best handling bikes.
Of the bikes you listed, I would say the 550. It's about 100lbs less that the 750 and almost as fast with better handling.
In general some modern rubber, fork springs, tapered steering bearings and new rear shocks make huge differences on any bike.

There's a big difference between a 1970 XS650 and a 1980 XS650. Any of the bikes on the list can be transformed with modern shocks and custom fork springs with emulators or a fork swap.

I was amazed at the difference between how my resto-mod Kawasaki handled compared to my original XS400. All the Kawasaki has are updated forks, shocks and a steering stabilizer. Also might be a smartass answer but wouldn't the new SR400 still be considered a UJM? Never ridden one but seems like it would have better handling than it's counterparts from the 70's.

JWExperience said:
I've read in numerous places that the late 70's Suzuki gs' were the best handling bikes.

Agreed, that's when Japan started paying attention to the chassis since they got really good at building motors.

1977-Suzuki-GS1000S.jpg

Handling on any bike is all about attention to the details. :) When the factory doesn't provide it, you still can. :D

As has already been said by several here, tires, suspension, steering head, swing arm pivot...

Even my 'infamous' h2 can be a more than decent handler with some attention to these areas. I've gone a little overboard with mods ::) but it was great even before that. ;D

Wow, thanks for all the replies good people if the forum. Now I have an interesting question, the old naked goldwing gl1000s, the ones with the hot cams. I heard that they handle suprising well despite their weight because of their low center of graviry due to their flat four engines and under the seat tank. Anyone with expirence with these bikes?

'Wing' does handle surprisingly well, but it is still a hell of a lump to muscle around.
I also liked XS1100 but all the heavyweights are hard work after an hour or so

crazypj said:
'Wing' does handle surprisingly well, but it is still a hell of a lump to muscle around.
I also liked XS1100 but all the heavyweights are hard work after an hour or so

Agreed! 8)

Back
Top Bottom