1976 CB360t Slightly modded, restored to roadworthiness - Workin' on Beauty

Re: 1976 CB360t Slightly modified restore to roadworthiness - Beauty later project

Yeah, pretty common to have those fenders crack.

Re: 1976 CB360t Slightly modified restore to roadworthiness - Beauty later project

Had setback 2 days ago. The bike started missing on the right cylinder, then quit. Let it sit overnight.
Took the carbs out and checked them.

Did some more work yesterday today. I re-installed the carbs. They were clean, and looked good.
I cleaned up more wiring, and reinstalled the tank.

I rolled it out of the garage to see what I could do about the right cylinder missing.

I started it up, and it ran well, except for the right carb, which needed the idle screw tweaked.
It ran VERY well....Warmed up, sounded good. I wanted to keep it running and wean the carbs a little more.
I also checked the charging circuit. The Alternator charges the battery at 3400 RPM with over 13.6 volts, low beam on. Also checked for presence of AC colts, which would indicate a faulty rectifier. No AC, so it was good. All along it was running well, sounding good, idling evenly.

Suddenly, it started backfiring a little. I though maybe the carbs again. I could rev it, but at idle, the right cylinder was cutting out. I opened the points cover to see if the points were opening, arcing, or shorted to the case cover when hot, but no difference.
As it ran longer, it got to the point where it was running only on left cylinder. thought it may be the carb.
then it wouldn't run on the left cylinder well, then quit completely. It would crank, turn over, start to run on the left, but die again.

I turned it off to regroup.

After being off I decided to get some starting fluid to see if the right would fire if I sprayed a little ether in it. This can help you decide if it is fuel or ignition.
It started an ran on two cylinders for a moment, then back to left. I sprayed into the right cylinder, nothing. this is usually and indicator of a spark issue.

It started raining, and I couldn't go further, but I suspect it will run cold and warm, but not hot.

I suspect ignition maybe coils, and I will check that further. Also, I was using a jumper battery, so as not to run down the bike battery. Had 12.7 volts at all time. So it is not a voltage issue.

It's funny how well it runs cold and warm, but goes away hot. It backfires a lot too....So I also suspect a possible valve issue. But it is backfiring on the left, not the right....the but it gets weak enough that the bike won't even start or run on the one cylinder.

In addition, I discovered a little issue that I had forgotten about. My left front lower motor mount on the engine casing is broken. A lot like seen in these forums. So I am going to need a lower case to fix it. So this winter, the engine is coming out, and we are going to do a good inspection of the lower half and heads.

I also found an acquaintance with a complete motor. Possibly some other pieces, and maybe a stock exhaust. He has so many exhaust systems in his barn, he is not sure if he has it, but is willing to part with it if he does. He says he is going to be reasonable, so I may pick up a whole motor, if not for the lower case, maybe for a spare.

This sets me back a little as the bike was otherwise able to be ridden. but it is all nut, bolts and dollars. I have the ability to fix it, and will...

I also built a soda blaster, a little more durable then the air blower jammed in a plastic tube. I'll post pictures when I take them and show everyone.

Well, here's the motor mount picture. Ugly. Broke years ago (like 1982). I tried larger washers and a heavier bolt to hold it, but I checked and the washers aren't really doing anything.

motormountboltthread.jpg

motormountbolthead.jpg

so new Lower case for me.

On the soda Blaster front:

The soda plaster with a blow gun and plastic tube appealed to the cheapo in me. Tried it, it worked, but I didn't like the "nozzle". So I scraped around, used stuff I had laying around and made a slightly harder version of it. The valve on the soda feed was used because it was the only thing I had laying around that fit in the old, removed from my house, copper pipe and fitting. The Hose nipple was an old steel quick disconnect from when I was a professional Mechanic. We used larger fittings than I do at home, so this has been laying around since 1981. It was about time I pit it to use. The pipe was cut out of fitting during renovations, and being the Hoarder that I am , I never recycled it or through it out. The red lines show where the small copper tube off the blow gun extend to.

I tried this, it works, I need to get a big bag of Soda from HF to use to clean stuff. Since I will have the motor out for the lower case, it's as good a time as any to really clean it up.

sodablaster1markedup.jpg

I may try a reducer at the tip of the exit, to focus the blast, but it still works as is..

I found a deal on Flea-Bay $42 Delivered:

newcases.jpg

A little cleaning up and my motor mount issue will be fixed. Need to get a complete gasket kit, as well as some HondaBond equivalent.

While I have the motor apart, I'll clean up the head too. Check the valves...they may need lapping. New Valve Seals.

So a few more tools, especially a valve spring compressor.

The Cases will really test my "soda blaster".

^^ is that a six speed? and (noob alert) when you soda blast are you doing both the outside and inside? My 360 engine will be completely apart by the weekend so I need the next step haha

LtGeorge said:
^^ is that a six speed? and (noob alert) when you soda blast are you doing both the outside and inside? My 360 engine will be completely apart by the weekend so I need the next step haha

Usually soap and water will take care of the inside.

LtGeorge said:

All CB/CL 360 models are 6 speed. The CJ360 was the five speed.
As Sonreir said, Soap and water are good, best for the inside. For the outside, I may not want to scrub that hard, the soda blaster will clean it up nice. Even after the soda blast, I would degrease with soap and water and rinse well. I intend to paint the cases and they need to be clean and not oily.

Lower case came in Monday Afternoon (day before yesterday). Need to get a gasket set and start dis-assembling....

bookmarked!

I've been out of state all week for work. Hopefully some progress will ensue now that I am back.....I miss being home and working on the bike.

Out of state for a week, then Sandy comes along....aarrgh...I feel like it's been months...Hopefully the weather will improve (We are expecting a Nor'Easter tomorrow..) soon and I can get back to work on her.

Another Update - Due to some personal complications, and work travel, been really busy the last month or so. I do have a complete gasket set in, my Tube of Three-bond for the case half, a set of seal and other juicy parts from Honda. Oddly, the seal sets (non Honda) cost more then the seals bought directly from a Honda dealer. I always check around, and lately, E-Bay is getting to be the high priced leader in parts for Sophie.

Hopefully I am going to get a little work started this holiday....but life still is pretty busy.

Most everything I do happens between 3 and 6:30 am. The dog dont even get up to bug me til around 6.

Finally got some time to work on Sophie.

I wanted to clean and check the "new" lower case before dis-assembling the engine. So yesterday I spent some time scrubbing and cleaning.

"new" lower case before:

newlowercasebefore2.jpg

newlowercasebeforeinsid.jpg

newlowercasebefore.jpg

Then after cleaning:

newlowercasebottomclean.jpg

newlowercaseinsideclean.jpg

newlowercaserightcleane.jpg

newlowercaseleftcleaned.jpg

The case is clean and in good shape. So next I will be removing the engine from the frame. Need to remove the oil, remove the side covers, carbs, etc...and get started. I am so happy to get moving agian on this. work and family matters have kept me too busy for a while.

I have all new seals so don't worry about the existing seal remaining...All will be refreshed. I purchased new seals from Honda, they still have them .

I'm watching very closely. I have my engine out already, and it's even dirtier than I thought. I absolutely have to change out the jugs, so maybe a complete rebuild is in order. The more pictures you post, the better for you and all of us in the same boat.

I watch other builds too, so I am glad to post whatever I can...

Lower Case is one of the easier jobs. I am not removing the Jugs or top end for now. My goal is to get this reliably running for next season. After that, I think I will strip the chassis, powder coat, really clean it up and restore.

I have ridden it about 5 miles this season. I forgot how crude the old bikes were. My 91 750 is so much smoother. At first, I thought the 360 was having a problem, then I remembered riding it in the 70's and 80's...and it was about the same....Buzzy, rough, and loads of fun.

I intend to put Electronic Ignition on. this will clean up up the most unreliable part of the older bikes. Whiles points are easily repairable and adjustable, they also need a lot of repair and adjustment. The best thing to happen to cars was the electronic ignition, and the same for motorcycles. My 91 750 has not had a tune-up or ignition adjustment, or needed one since 2004 when I put fresh plugs in. It has run without missing a beat for 8 years. Points needed adjustment monthly to keep the timing spot on, and sometimes more.

Also, while the carbs are off the engine, I should sent them down to you for tuning/sync for pod filters. I have already boiled them, and rebuilt them with all new seals and float valves. they just need your magic touch.

I am not so good on POD Filter tuning. The CV carbs aren't very "happy" with pod filters. I have pods on now (UNI Filters, the best of the pod type filters, at least), but have recently obtained all the stock airbox pieces. I am going back to a stock airbox. I will replace the paper filter on the stock with foam though. The stock airbox provides a large, still air plenum and long intake to feed the carburetors. CV carbs like smooth entering air.

What I am looking out for is the side covers in good shape. Mine are crumbling from age. With the stock covers, the bike will look "whole" again.

looks great !

MGD said:
Also, while the carbs are off the engine, I should sent them down to you for tuning/sync for pod filters. I have already boiled them, and rebuilt them with all new seals and float valves. they just need your magic touch.
Whoops, this was meant to be sent to CrazyPJ. He has a method of machining that eliminates the mid range richness CV's get with pods.

I have my side covers, but they are in pieces too. I'm going the naked route these days.

Back
Top Bottom