'77 CB750a - Facelift

drperlmutter

First time poster here!

So not too long ago, I got my second motorcycle, a '77 CB750a. It was all original and in pretty decent, running shape. Over the past few months I have been slowly having mechanical / electrical work done, replacing tires, chain & sprockets, etc. - the stuff that needed work. However, more recently I have been wanting to change things up a bit. I've never had any custom work done to a bike before, so I thought it would be fun to document the changes.

Here's a photo of the bike in the condition I got it in

21686348576_db35897be0_z.jpg

The first things I did were swap the bars and mirrors for more of a low profile look.
Ended up going with Euro bars and Emgo mirrors. I took a blow torch to the mirrors so I could adjust the angle and lower them slightly.

CnAx8tQ.jpg

From there it was time to do some more customizations. Here's what I had in mind;
-Repaint tank (fan of earlier 750 tank styles)
-Reupholster the seat (brown vinyl, not change the seat shape)
-Wrap pipes (a nice tan color, not titanium)
-Add front fender support (love the look)

I've already made some progress and will be updating this post along the way!

So before tearing everything down, I did a little mockup of the paint / seat combo I wanted to go for.

j5ifBwU.jpg

Really just a rough idea..nothing to spec or exact colors, etc.
I love the black & brown combo, and paint stylings of the older CBs.
I wanted to go for a chocolate brown seat and to match, some Biltwell chocolate brown grips.

I was hoping to go for one last ride before taking everything off, but unfortunately popped a tube. So no joy ride + extra work of having to take the rear tire off and get that taken care of. Good thing I had some great help..

0Be7Sjr.jpg

Took the tank in and talked with the painter about the look I was going for. I wanted the styling of the 72-76 tanks, but the '77 has a less rounded, more 'edgy' tank. We decided on a happy medium between the the earlier CBs and a '77 K.

DWx4kAA.jpg

While the tank, seat, and tire were off getting worked on, I went ahead and started working on the other things on my list.

uNkcNL8.jpg

Wrapped the pipes and threw on a new front fender support. I just love the look of two supports. Just took a little bit of measuring and drilling to throw it on there. The support itself is actually just another one off of a CB750a, but placed in the front position. Eventually I want to chop off that huge mudflap thing at the bottom of this fender, but that's for another day.

Got some photos from the painter, here's what my tank is looking like

Ic93OjQ.jpg

hO8EixN.jpg

sDw13lF.jpg

Super excited to see it in person! Should be ready for pickup tomorrow.

Also, picked up my seat from the upholster yesterday

MSoBCb4.jpg

Love the way this came out! The stitching is my favorite part. Turned out to be a more natural color than a chocolate brown, gonna have to get another set of grips to match the color. Should be able to start assembling everything tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom