Suzuki T500 cafe racer

Re: T500 cafe

we agreed on a scheme, colors and a price. I will admit that he basically designed the scheme on his own and suggested the colors. I was originally going to choose blue, but he talked me into lime green. Keeping somewhat (very loosely) true to the original bike, I felt comfortable with that choice. The T500 came in a lime green color for several years.

Paint consisted of a charcoal grey metallic as a base. The secondary panel was silver metal flake with lime green candy over the top. The stripe is white pearl with silver metal flake. My pictures don't do it justice but it is brilliant in the sun!

All the suzuki logos, the pinstripes and the number plates were painted by hand. No decals, no stencils.

Not shown yet in these pictures are the hand pinstriping in between the colors. He used charcoal pinstriping in between the lime green panel and silver stripe. he used lime green pinstriping in between the charcoal panel and the silver stripe.

I originally was going to have "75" placed in the number plates for the year of the bike but decided against. If I want, I can always add vinyl numbers. I didn't want to commit to one number and be stuck with it. The number plates are Ducati-esque.

finally done.
These pictures are pretty crappy. They were taken at Rockerbox. I am working on getting my photographer friend to take some professional pictures of the bike.

It drives really well. The drum brakes aren't as bad as I anticipated. The chambers are pretty loud, but not intolerable. Its got some nice pickup and handles very nicely.

Some other finishing touches include a wired-from-scratch harness. A capacitor instead of a battery.

Also has a complete power dynamo ignition that includes new stator, new permanent magent, regulator/ rectifier, coils and ECU. I am really impressed with this setup. It starts on first or second kick every time. It has plenty of juice to run ignition, headlight and turn signals at idle.

Wowsers that a beautiful build, nice work! Glad to see the stock front end made the grade.

Bootsey said:
Wowsers that a beautiful build, nice work! Glad to see the stock front end made the grade.

thanks for the compliments everyone. The stock front end on these bikes pretty much suck, so I tried to make the best of it. I picked up the NOS external fork springs, which are definitely better than the rusty stock ones that were on it. Also used some thicker fork oil. It's still pretty soft. And then there's the stock front drum- they really aren't great brakes. Would have loved to put a Suzuki GT750 4LS front setup on this bikes but those cost a fortune, if you can even find them. Basically I just have to plan ahead and I don't count on the ability to stop super quickly.

Top job Steve....the green is unusual and looks very individual. Great looking bike.
On the rearset clearance....have you moved the kick starter as far as possible to the end of the splines?...this can give you an extra few mms.

Titan performance said:
Top job Steve....the green is unusual and looks very individual. Great looking bike.
On the rearset clearance....have you moved the kick starter as far as possible to the end of the splines?...this can give you an extra few mms.

Yep, Kickstarter is as far out as it will go. I also removed the small washer in between rearset bracket and the rearset lever itself. This pushed the lever inward just slightly. It's better, but every few kicks it will contact and pop the bike into first gear- which causes quite a surprise as the bike lurches forward. I'll have to have the Kickstarter bent more.

there seems to be a flurry of activity surrounding the lowly T500 these days. There are several build threads going on right now with T500's. And if you haven't already checked it out, the November bike of the month contest features three T500's this month, including mine. I guess that has forced me to get some decent pictures. Look for some professional pics this weekend, courtesy of my photographer friend. and don't forget to vote for your favorite T500!

one other update- and some advice for everyone. Use loctite!

I was riding my T500 the other day. I had just removed the generator cover to adjust the power dynamo electronic ignition. I put the generator cover back on and forgot to loctite it. Actually I didn't really forget, I just didn't bother doing it. I was planning on riding the bike a few miles to check out new timing. I didn't loctite it because I figured I might have to remove it again to adjust timing. When I got back, I noticed the cover was gone. It literally backed out all three bolts and it fell off within about a 10 mile ride. I drove back thru my route, but couldn't find it.

Fortunately it wasn't that costly a mistake. $45 for a new cover on ebay and $30 cash to polish it. Three days later and the new cover was on.

Live and learn- use loctite on everything.

I got some nice pictures taken by my photographer friend, Erin. Figured I would share here.
Don't forgot to cast your vote for one of the three T500's on the bike of the month contest, which includes this one.

Motorcycle 14 by sbaugz, on Flickr

Motorcycle 29 by sbaugz, on Flickr

Motorcycle 25 by sbaugz, on Flickr

Motorcycle 22 by sbaugz, on Flickr

Motorcycle 20 by sbaugz, on Flickr

Motorcycle 15 by sbaugz, on Flickr

Motorcycle 14 by sbaugz, on Flickr

Motorcycle 07 by sbaugz, on Flickr

Re: Suzuki T500 cafe racer - photos page 3 - BOTM nominee.

found a video from earlier this summer, prior to final dialing in of bike. I am hoping to get a nice video of starting and riding the bike this weekend. I can't figure out how to embed this video directly here. You should be able to click on the pic below and be taken to flickr site with the video.

https://flic.kr/p/Mmg36C

IMG_2512 by sbaugz, on Flickr

CrabsAndCylinders said:
What size of pipe did you use for the brace on your fine bike?

Sorry can't recall exactly. It's basically the exact same OD and ID tubing as the rest of the frame.

Back
Top Bottom