Tiki Al's DOHC Cafe Project

Tiki-Al

Well thought I'd start a build thread, ive had the DOHC for about a month now. I rode it a few times stock and the engine was solid so decided to start stripping it down to the bare essentials!

Took this snap just before I took the engine out :eek:
photo-3.jpg

This is my first build so it was pretty nerve racking but with the help of the old man we muscled the lump out!

My first port of call is going the be a big clean up.

Starting with the carbs. Looking at previous documents in its history and from when i rode it I am guessing that it once had Air filter pods and a jet mod but has since had the old airbox put back on. Like I said I'm guessing, but I think they didnt change the jets back when they put the old airbox on as it felt pretty lumpy through town at slow speeds.

Can anyone give me any info on how i access and check the jet size against standard spec?
Plenty of pics to follow as I progress!
Cheers
Al

Procedure is pretty simple.
Remove jets
Read numbers
Get workshop manual and check what it says is stock
Compare

Do you have a good shop manual yet? It's the first tool that you need to invest in.

+1 on the shop manual. Its the first thing I buy for any vehicle I purchase. those DOHC's can make for a really nice cafe IMHO. What are your plans for it(style, colors, tank/seat combo)?
Cheers and best of luck!

Thanks guys, yeah i got a Haynes Manual. It's ok but maybe i need to take a closer look at the carb section and stock settings etc it seemed quite limited on first read, it's probably me being a muppet ;D

Haynes are great but they often lack details. I'm sure there's a Factory Shop manual on line for download somewhere. That should be way more comprehensive.

Ok managed to get a better manual online. if I'm reading it right it states the main jets should be Primary:68 Secondary:102

if the carbs have been messed with from stock to accommodate pods would they have also changed the Air jets? it doesn't state a size for these or are they the same as the fuel jets?...man carbs are a headache ;D

Update: Screw all the technical engine issues I may stumble across its time for action!
Engine out and de-greased, I've removed all electrical components too....apart from one ; ) so I can sand it back or blast it ready for paint. Question can you put the whole lump in for powder coat as is or does it need to be completely split and just cases for powder? don't really want to do that if i can help it.
photocopy2-1.jpg

Cant get this bastard bolt out, tried heat, and WD40 think i need a bar over the end of my socket drive to get me a bit more leverage...there is always one right!
photocopy.jpg

Started on the frame ;D
photocopy9.jpg

photocopy8.jpg

photocopy7.jpg

photocopy6.jpg

Removed a few unnecessary lugs, about 5 in total, before:
photocopy5.jpg

After:
photocopy4.jpg

Tried out the sand blaster kit on my old compressor, works ok in small blasts. My compressor aint that big so i have to wait for the pressure to build and then I get a god ten second blast. So its only really any good for small parts like this.
photocopy3-1.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Thats it for now, its amazing how long it all takes. you think ahh i'll do that in a few hours... 6hrs later your about half way there!

That looks to be a grinding wheel your using... If its, I would suggest a cut-off wheel. They work so much faster, with much less pressure required for cutting.

If it's not... Then ignore the above post...

Hi Swapmeet, It's a plasma cutting disc, really slim. It was really, really fast like a knife through butter! I also used a flexible sanding disc after to smooth it all off including the lug removal, that was also very useful and recommended.

Yeah pictures can be deceiving there is a lot of loose, peeling paint.

I've been inquiring about powder coating but it always involves a full strip down which ive seen another guy on here just undertake and it looked crazy with all those parts led out everywhere! :eek:

So i think im going to sand it back myself, take my time and make sure it's spotless then prime and paint myself. I want the whole thing matt black.

The mrs and the little one were away last night so got a few good hours in. Had big plans but as always something i figure will take 30 mins took me nearly all night! looks good though, check it out. No more dirty great center stand or mounts ;D

photo-5.jpg

Hoosier Daddy said:
No more center stand, eh?

Nope! to be honest when she was in full dress ;D i'll be fucked if i could ever drag the beast up onto the center stand anyway! i'm sure there is a knack to it. Plus i'm hoping to stash the battery where it used to be.

Back
Top Bottom