1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage Two™

1/4" plate steel replaced the stock passenger hoops. Drilled so that stock FZR400 controls swap straight in.

The kick starter doesn't clear yet, but that'll be my next task.

1010319_10151785804995159_1689683584_n.jpg

Rearsets bolting straight into the plate? That was my initial idea but I saw somewhere else here someone welded a bracket then bolted an adjustable plate into that, then the pegs into that. I figure it might be nice if it turns out the fit wasn't as good as I thought, more reversible process

Attachments

• 249663_257297591057579_1406270933_n.jpg
    249663_257297591057579_1406270933_n.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,240
I can work something out for adjustment, if needed, but I checked the fit on these before deciding on the position and I'm fairly certain they'll work out.

I still need to decide on the length, but I'm going to end up chopping them short and fitting a two into one collector. The collector will feed this bad boy:

index.php

Sonreir said:
I still need to decide on the length, but I'm going to end up chopping them short and fitting a two into one collector. The collector will feed this bad boy:

index.php
YEAAAAHHHH! Are we running an intercooler????

Sonreir said:
Eventually, but I don't have one in my hands just yet.
i just want you to know those two things were not on your stage 2 list ;) unless that falls under:
"Things I deem necessary after riding for a while" :)

Do you have your oil cooler and externals?

Well... the turbo technically isn't on my stage two list, either. :p

Oil cooler and pump still need to be ordered, but cash is tight right now. Mrs lost her job and most of the spare cash I'm getting via the harnesses I'm making is going toward bills. :(

Sonreir said:
Well... the turbo technically isn't on my stage two list, either. :p

Oil cooler and pump still need to be ordered, but cash is tight right now. Mrs lost her job and most of the spare cash I'm getting via the harnesses I'm making is going toward bills. :(
Bummer but that struggle makes it even more of an accomplishment or....you could Move to Texas our economy is booming! You can move down the street! We have a road course mapped out in our county. We ride year round! Sundays morning everybody is at church and the roads are ours:) Twisty roads have new pavement! The sheriff is at the donut shop! Triumph aerospace just built a new facility!

Sounds tempting, but I don't think I'd get along too well in Texas... Maybe Austin? :p

Anyway... early model CL360 transmission is now in place.

1002546_10151804747610159_1275331862_n.jpg

I pick up a sixth gear and first and second are now shorter.

Ratios are now:
1st - 2.500
2nd - 1.750
3rd - 1.375
4th - 1.111
5th - .965
6th - .866
Primary - 3.714
Final - 1.833

With a redline of 10,000 RPM, that gets me to 130.1 MPH (assuming I've got the ponies to push it).

Sonreir said:
Sounds tempting, but I don't think I'd get along too well in Texas... Maybe Austin? :p

Anyway... early model CL360 transmission is now in place.

1002546_10151804747610159_1275331862_n.jpg

I pick up a sixth gear and first and second are now shorter.

Ratios are now:
1st - 2.500
2nd - 1.750
3rd - 1.375
4th - 1.111
5th - .965
6th - .866
Primary - 3.714
Final - 1.833

With a redline of 10,000 RPM, that gets me to 130.1 MPH (assuming I've got the ponies to push it).
in austin you will be closer to the Texas Mile...seriously Sonreir we dont hunt liberals for sport that is just a rumor and we have Ron Paul ;) We love Austin! However, McConaughey's neighbors called the police after he started playing his bongos naked on the table. Google is giving Austin free wifi! Zeke wants to move next to COTA! We keep Austin weird! Oh btw Korea has Austin as a potential target! My nephew's band Quiet Company is from Austin check them out!

We need a sixth gear :(

OK... after another bottom end disassembly and a couple more rounds of clearance checking, the engine is ready to button up. Gotta stop by the auto parts store to get some copper gasket spray and then we'll try this again. ;D

Starting to look like your building 'my' bike ;)
BTW, found a real interesting article by a retired (electrical?) engineer on XS 650 charging system
I think you may be interested, I'll find link

crazypj said:
BTW, found a real interesting article by a retired (electrical?) engineer on XS 650 charging system
I think you may be interested, I'll find link

Please do!

Well... since my last posting, my dad and I have had the head and cylinders on and off another half dozen times. We'd applied a liberal coating of Dykem over all the internal surfaces and rotated it all along. Looks like we need to pick up around .040" clearance between the valves and pistons. I have some CB450 valves on the way from Fingerbanger and milehigh. They have the same valve stem diameter, but the valves are +1mm and +2mm larger. I'll be super gluing some 80 grit disks to the bottom of each valve and using them to cut relief pockets into each piston in order to gain the clearance I need.

I also found a bit of time to run some tests on a pump I purchased. Draws 2A and is good to 100°C. I'll be looking at mounting an oil cooler underneath the engine that will feed into the oil pump. Then the pump only has to worry about the lift to the head. Here's a quick vid of the pump in action on some cold 10W-30.

The pump isn't quite so noisy in person... the coffee can is amplifying it a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2mOiD0phgE

Also... while the flow on the pump doesn't look awesome, it is good to 45PSI, so it should be good for the task.

Back
Top Bottom