cb350 oil pan baffle mod

overdraft

Coast to Coast
there's a tin baffe in the bottom of the oil pan that can't be removed without drilling out the three peened over post and removing the two screws... so i've done that, and drilled and tapped the three attachment points... so imagining that loose screws in the crankcase might be a Bad Thing, i'm thinking loctite? blue? red? high heat? or maybe just lockwashers? any thoughts?

Thanks!

blue loctite. i did the same.

really though; the two scews that were there originally didnt appear to be loctited.
i mean, you could go to red (as you probably wont be going back in there for a while) but blues plenty. make sure you use good high quality stainless allen head bolts, and etching your name into the crankcase is mandatory.

:)

rockcitycafe said:
red loctite should be fine... why did you remove it?
get rid of the crud underneath it...

crud.jpg

I agree with RCC. We have a kerosene parts washer at work. I left the bottom half of a 350 case under running kerosene for about 9 hours.

Doesn't that pan help oil the crank? I bought a used AHRMA case, and that was still in it so never will I remove that. I believe its called a one way windage tray?
I've had thoughts about welding in a thin piece of aluminum where that pan is, with a small drain to the trans bay. So it wont let excess oil hangout under there. This would only be for a racing engine though, with a modified oil pump and oil cooler that flows to the cam covers.

I'm pretty sure the pan helps keep oil off the crank, if the counterweights get covered in oil, or are moving through sloshing oil, it can create a good bit of resistance to the engine

I always thought the baffle is there to prevent the crank from splashing the oil in the sump and turning it into a froth.

Drill off the rivet heads and then drill and tap the posts for 6mm bolts. And it acts as a windage tray to peel oil off the crank.

Back
Top Bottom