www.freecycle score

Hoosier Daddy

Earache my eye...
Everyone familiar with www.freecycle.org? If not you ought to check it out.
Started as a way for people to list their unwanted items that someone else may be looking for...instead of sending them to the landfill. You can also post "wanted" stuff in hopes somebody has what you are looking for. It is set up by areas and you can usually find one close to you (at least around here)
So last wek in the two that are around me I postsed this...
WANTED: Old Motorcycles
I'm looking for old motorcycles in the area. If you have one taking up space and
wish it was gone let me know! Any Make, size or condition.

Rusted, neglected, broken, non-running, basket case, = OK!

... and in less than a week, I get a reply. Guy about 20 miles from me has a '81 CB750 frame and parts WITH TITLE!. Come get it.
So yesterday I make the trip and pick up the nicest condition bare frame I have seen. Shiny paint, all the bolts in place... and he hands me the title.
next comes the parts pile. Rear brake lever and linkage, complete Ft brake system calipers, hoses and splitter all still on the master cyl. Both levers, perches and clutch cable. Plus more stuff that WE usually remove, air box, front fender, mirrors, grab rail, chain gaurd, rear inner rear fender with toolbox, and seat. All in BEAUTIFUL shape!

We start talking and I ask about the history of the bike. Seems his Dad has a CB900 that came without title and he bought this as a parts bike. The kid was going to pull the tag off this neck and put it on his Dads frame... but Dad said "NO" and after 6 months got his paperwork sorted out and the 900 titled legally so they didn't need the 750 after all. He did swap the front forks because the 900's quite holding air.
Then the Son was going to use this bikes engine to make a 4 wheeled sand buggy. Well 2 years later still hasn't touched it. So the engine, carbs, both wheels and the leaking front end (off the 900) are at his Dads about 45 minutes away. All but the exhaust, they threw it away because it was some kind of aftermarket pipes (!!!)
He says if I want that stuff too he'll make me a good deal on the whole lot. "Really, how much are you callin a good deal?" says I. Without hesistation he says "$50"
Trying to not sound too eager I said, well if it's in decent shape I might be able to scrounge that much. He tells me it's all in great shape that's why he kept it at his Dads for spares if ever needed. We agreed to touch base in a couple weeks after he has a chance to get it all rounded up and back to his house for me to pick up... and HE appologises for not having it all in one place and me having to make another trip!
Even if this doesn't completely pan out I still got a titled frame and some excellent parts all for FREE just for posting an add and answering an e-mail.

Re: www.freecycle score

Nice score! I think the link should be freecycle.org. The other one just took me to a list of domain names. Thanks, now I have another site to watch!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Some guy just had a complete cb750 under the free craigslist ads here in DE. He said he couldn't get it running so he wanted it gone. I called him, but he just sold it 20 mins before I called! Sweet score man

Re: www.freecycle score

DuckHunterJon said:
Nice score! I think the link should be freecycle.org. The other one just took me to a list of domain names. Thanks, now I have another site to watch!

Yea it should be...Thanks! I fixed my link in the original post.
Have fun!

I dont get it, I'm trying to enter anything in the search engine and nothing happens but some foreign language

they must be having issues with the home page at the moment. I thought I would help you out and typed in "California" in the locator to find a group in your area but got this...

Code:
(en) Please come back later 
(fr) SVP veuillez revenir plus tard 
(de) Bitte versuchen sie es spaeter nocheinmal 
(at) Konnten's bitt'schoen spaeter nochmal reinschauen 
(no) Vennligst prov igjen senere 
(dk) Venligst prov igen senere 
(pl) Prosze sprobowac pozniej 
(pt) Por favor volte mais tarde 
(ru) Попробуйте еще раз позже 
(ua) Спробуйте ще раз пізніше

Then I put in "Indiana" and got the same reply... But my local groups link still works. So from there I entered "California" in the "search for other groups" box and got 11 pages of hits! Try this linky... http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=california

Back
Top Bottom