Found a BSA... ain't tellin where

Hoosier Daddy

Earache my eye...
Buddy of mine went to pick up some stained glass off a Craiglist add. When he got there the widow of a man who has been gone for 5 years took him out to the shop. My buddy told me thats when he saw the front wheel of an old motorcycle poking out from under a tarp. He found out it was her late husbands BSA and it could be parted with.
After a couple phone calls, she said she might trade the bike for a stained glass window from my buddy for where the glass was originally purchased for. Not knowing much about old bikes and knowing I had a few BSA's back in the past, he took me over to the house last night where I found it to be an A-65 in decent shape, although but not a bike for a true collector.

Checking the numbers it's a 650 Lightening motor, a Thunderbolt single carb head inside a Scrambler frame.
The differences I found from my 69 and 70 model A-65's maybe because it is either newer or a Scrambler. But here goes..
The tank was a fiberglass unit instead of the big chrome one I am used to. The side covers were fiberglass as well instead of steel that mine were. Also the front hub did not have the classic british bike air scoop. The only item I found missing was the speedo and the front fender.
Told my buddy to figure out what his time and materials were worth to do the window and I can then offer him cash for the bike in trade.
Keep your fingers crossed, if he backs down I am going back to deal with the bike ion my own. ;)

Nicely played. I'd love to get an Old Brit bike someday and it'll be either a BSA or a norton. That bike looks like a great starting point for a clean period cafe.

Good luck, great find. When i l see those side covers i want to hit them with a good polish i am almost salivating

Heading up in the rafters of the garage tonight to see if I can find my old Haynes manual from the early '80s....I have a Box of books up there that I knew would come in handy someday. Hope I didn't include it in the sale of mine oh-so-many years ago.

Well not yet, lets see how it goes.
Annnnd I'm a dumbass. No manual in the box, mehh.
But I turned to the interwebz to blow the cobwebz outta my head.
I forgot the Scramblers were "Firebirds" and the serial went A65F
This ones frame was A65S that denotes a Spitfire and when I google imaged THAT, this popped up... BINGO!

66BSA-A65-Rm.jpg

66BSA-A65-Lm.jpg

That is the same tank, front end, chrome headlight ears, handlebars and low pipes this bike has.I think the Frame model has safely been I.D.ed. Still the engine has an A65L for Lightening and it only has the Thunderbolt model one carb.
I really should have written those #'s down.

I hope you buy and do a restoration on it. They were a very handsome bike in their day and still are good looking. A resto will turn a lot more heads than some cafe. If you do restore it the plug caps are the same as Austin Minis for a fraction of the BSA numbered item. I learned that reading about another firebird resto.

Thanks for the insight Hoofhearted, it is definately my same thoughts...kind of. I'd find an OEM 5 gallon Spitfire / Firebird tank that had the kneedents

829729001.jpg

...and put on a set of clubmans, stash the original parts for safe keeping. Something like this one I saw a few years back....Still kicking my ass for not buying it!

Talked to my buddy last night at the lodge. He has put together and esimated amount for the stained glass work and is proposing it to the gal. Said if the deal goes through, the bike comes in partial trade for his total along with some other stuff she has offered. He based it on my low end offer of $300 and is figured in that way. He will even let me make payments on it if I don't have the full amount by the time the deal goes through... if she takes it that is.
The wifey was no too receptive at first... "another bike?!" but I broke the ice and now she will have some time to accept it. ;)

In my experience the wife has never left because of a bike purchase. Well she has left but she came back. Dang it!

Ha-ha!... Nothing like that, she ain't goin nowhere. It's just that she's seen there's 7 bikes in the shop already. She knows that 3 of them aren't mine, but never the less, with her Female vision it's kind daunting I suppose.

My wife has said recently "Do not bring another bike home..." however I think she would understand and make exception for such a sweet find.

Nah... I don't know if he has met with the widow to make the offer yet. Even if they agree, it's going to take him a while to make the stained glass windows. That will get me time to get the cash around.
I'll keep you posted on updates, good or bad.

Back
Top Bottom